I am hoping for some help out there tonight. While in the other room I heard my trusty 8800 make a loud chirping sound. I came to investigate and it is frozen with app error 523 on the screen and "reset" just below it. I hit reset and it cycles but ends up right back on the same screen. Did a hard reboot and it always comes back to the app error screen. Can't connect to the Desktop Manager. What to do? I'm kinda freakin' right now.
    10-26-07 12:07 AM
    Problem

On the BlackBerry device, the following error message appears after pressing the Mute button, accessing an application, or performing a hard reset:
    523 app. error. Reset.

Resolution

To resolve this issue, complete the following steps:
    1. Upgrade to the latest version of BlackBerry Desktop Software.
    2. Remove any recently installed applications on the BlackBerry device, then install the latest version of BlackBerry Device Software on the BlackBerry device. For more information about how to upgrade BlackBerry Device Software, see KB03901.
    From The RIM Knowledge Base
    10-26-07 01:27 AM
    Thanks Bla1ze. Will try it. Hopefully it will work.
    10-26-07 08:05 AM
    Got a problem. BB is frozen. I pull the battery, reinstall, and connect data cable. A conncection is made but before I can get anything done the app error 523 screen appears and the phone locks up again.
    10-26-07 08:34 AM
    Just curious, have you recently started using Office 2007? My colleague and I ahve started to see this and the only ting we can tie it to is we recently both installed Office 2007. Mine I have managed to get back, his is bricked on him right now, can't reset without the error coming back, thus can't reload the OS, etc...
    10-31-07 01:26 PM
    You'll get an error 523 if a program loaded on your blackberry is not compatible with your current theme.

Figure which app is creating this problem and go from there.
    10-31-07 02:07 PM
    Just curious - I have the same problem and can't figure out how to proceed. The phone is always coming up with the same error message. Application error reset

I am hoping for some help out there tonight. While in the other room I heard my trusty 8800 make a loud chirping sound. I came to investigate and it is frozen with app error 523 on the screen and "reset" just below it. I hit reset and it cycles but ends up right back on the same screen. Did a hard reboot and it always comes back to the app error screen. Can't connect to the Desktop Manager. What to do? I'm kinda freakin' right now.
    11-03-07 12:41 PM
    I have the exact same problem. error message 523 but when I reset it just come back to the message. I can't do anything. Did anyone of you solve the problem?
    11-04-07 03:33 AM
    When did this start? What was the last application you installed? Did this happen right after you have installed a theme, maybe?
    11-04-07 08:57 AM
    Just went through this same headache with one of my end users. If you have an Micro SD card installed, remove it and then do a full battery remove reset. I got his back up and running doing this.
    12-10-07 01:44 PM
    The problem here is that the BB software is grayed out in App Loader. I can't choose to install it. I'm not prompted to install it, and RIM doesn't mention the possibility that this could be grayed out in their KB03901 document.
    12-21-07 08:00 PM
    AHHH! i've just had my BB curve for less than a week and already!
    the only thing i did was download the a newer version of AIM onto it the first day i got it and its been fine since then, and now THIS happened..i dont know what could have caused it. any idea?
    05-08-08 07:11 PM
    i tried upgrading the desktop manager as mentioned and removed AIM and FACEBOOK it still comes up error..............HELP!
    05-08-08 07:32 PM
    I tried the Desktop manager idea, i tried the removal of the memory card, i removed the batterey and still App Error 523 - Reset.

The last thing I downloaded was a theme from this site. The CrackBerry Abuser Theme. ******** KIDDIN ME! And I had the correct specs for everything - I made sure - I work in software I know the issues when everything isnt compatible.
    Last edited by tearabell; 05-09-08 at 04:08 PM.
    05-09-08 04:03 PM
    Guess what - I finally got my Desktop Manager to connect to my phone - took off that ******** evil theme - and my phone is back! Some of the settings went back to the original formatting - but I dont care as long as I have my phone.
    05-09-08 04:11 PM
    I'm also getting an APP 523 error on startup. Weird thing is that if I pull the sim card, everything is fine and I start up with no errors. Put the sim card back in, and I'm back to the APP 523 error. I haven't added any programs in the last several weeks, so I don't know what might have caused this, or what program I should try to delete - or if I should just try reinstalling the o/s.
    05-10-08 12:20 PM
    This doesn't only happen with themes and after a specific software installation. Mine has been fine since the last time this happened a month and a half ago. Tonight, I just heard my "text message" tone and picked it up only to find this error staring back at me. I'm very p***ed because I was waiting for a specific message this evening and now by the time I find out what it was it will be too late.

I got this error and never use anything but the default theme, and the last program I installed was Jivetalk over a month ago. Removing it did NOT fix the problem and I ended up having to reinstall the OS. Trying to do a backup during the restore process only causes the device to show the error again. The only way I could get it running again was to do the destructive reinstall and allow it to erase EVERYTHING. I wont have my address book until I get back to my office to restore my day old backup, which still leaves me screwed.
    05-13-08 11:08 PM
    Hello all,

I'm new to the blackberry scene, but I've had one for about 6 months. I recently started seeing some cool themes for the 4.5 os but was hesitate to download and install it seeing as how T-mobile hasn't come out with it yet. Anyway, I finally decided to do it, downloaded the Rogers.exe files after seeing others with T-mobile 8320 curves on the 4.2.2 do it and no have problems.

So last night I did it and everything went smooth.. Didn't have any problems. Loaded up a few themes and for a bit they seemed to work fine. But then I switched back to my original theme cause I really didn't like the new ones, and still everything was fine. While trying to show my girlfriend the new themes I had downloaded, one of them wasn't loading properly. The icons loaded, but the all the homescreen info(time, battery, signal, etc) were still like the old theme. I had kinda a mesh of the old 4.2.2 and the new 4.5 theme. Then all of a sudden the screen went white and the "App Error 523" appeared, with the reset below it.

I've tried numerous resets, nothing, I've tried taking out the microSD card, nothing. Removing the SIM card, nothing. It's not being recognized by the desktop software, so i can't remove the theme or reload the os.

Any Thoughts....

RK.
    10-18-08 03:47 PM
    I'm having the same problem. Trying to fix it for over and hour its not coming back. I went to blackberry site for help and I'm following those directions but still nothing.
    03-09-09 09:17 PM
    You can try a wipe. It will uninstall any added apps and erase them. I am having this app error 523 problem on the new 8900 with t-mo. I believe its the my fave app that they shoot. I am awaiting phone #3. I install the sim,it goes through the set-up wizard. All goes well. I get a thank you text from t-mobile. I then get a your phone has been registered with blackberry or rim. THen I get the text that my-faves have been updated then seconds later BAM!! error 523! And none of the tech can help. Last night after this happeneing with my second new phone through t-mo,they landed up calling RIM while I waited,and another phone is going back as they are overnighting a new one,so tomorrow we shall see if they have it figured out.
    03-12-09 10:58 PM
    i also aving hte same problem 523 error probably due to surreal theme but i dont know how to correct it, someone ssaid that remove the theme but HOW.
    03-15-09 10:50 PM
    I got the same thing. Verizon didn't know much what to do, but my husband did. Pull the battery & remove the external memory card. Reinsert battery & turn the phone on. The phone will automatically shut down when it detects the memory card is not present, this will force a reset - reinsert the memory card & then turn it on. It will recognize memory card and then shut itself off - you just have to turn the power back on. Worked like a charm on mine and blew the Verizon rep's advice out of the water. You lose nothing. (I was about to have to reload the operating system per the rep.) This is caused because the software program is locked up and removing the memory card forces the PDA portion of the phone which is always on to reboot.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by ohsarah; 03-17-09 at 07:34 PM.
    03-17-09 07:31 PM
    I'm also getting an APP 523 error on startup. Weird thing is that if I pull the sim card, everything is fine and I start up with no errors. Put the sim card back in, and I'm back to the APP 523 error. I haven't added any programs in the last several weeks, so I don't know what might have caused this, or what program I should try to delete - or if I should just try reinstalling the o/s.
    Remove the MEMORY CARD - (see my previous post) - it forces the PDA portion of the phone to reboot - clearing the memory and resetting whichever application caused the lock up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-17-09 07:32 PM
    Getting the same message on my 8350i. The last app I installed was the ivista2 theme from crackberry, but that was a couple weeks ago. I noticed it ran weird during phone calls and direct connect, it seemed like it was dragging down my phone with too much goin on! Anyway, I've rebooted about 10-15 times so far hoping to get somewhere, removed the memory card...nothing, removed the sim...nothing! I just wish I could even connect to the computer!

So I am looking to those that have posted and want to ask what they have determined? To I keep on it and go through all this or consider it a brick and get on the phone with Nextel tomorrow?
    03-19-09 03:26 AM
    Getting the same message on my 8350i. The last app I installed was the ivista2 theme from crackberry, but that was a couple weeks ago. I noticed it ran weird during phone calls and direct connect, it seemed like it was dragging down my phone with too much goin on! Anyway, I've rebooted about 10-15 times so far hoping to get somewhere, removed the memory card...nothing, removed the sim...nothing! I just wish I could even connect to the computer!

So I am looking to those that have posted and want to ask what they have determined? To I keep on it and go through all this or consider it a brick and get on the phone with Nextel tomorrow?
    i tried the ivista2 also and got this error. there is a problem with the ivista2 theme as far as i can see. i have had white screens and this app error since installing it on a 4.7.0.75 storm 9530.
    03-19-09 10:39 PM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD