I've finally clued-in that BeeJive (1.1.1) is draining my battery by polling for new IM messages (apparently every few seconds) instead of using push technology to push my new messages down to me. It's promised in the next release, due sometime this summer. Meanwhile Push for BeeJive for the iPhone is available now. In the meantime, I'm tempted to use only the GTalk (GoogleTalk) BB app if it uses Push, since the people I really need to chat with are all on the GTalk network anyway. Does anyone know if the GTalk BB app uses push? How can you tell if it does? I've googled the heckouta this issue, but can find nothing relevant.
    06-23-09 10:08 AM
    Yes, the GTalk official BB app is designed by RIM and uses Push. I can't point you to the documentation, but its a known fact. Works exactly like BB Messenger. Very easy on the battery.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-09 11:18 AM
    Best messenger app out there. I love Gtalk.
    06-23-09 12:21 PM
    I've found Instango to be battery friendly and it works well over all the chat services. I know it uses push for RSS but I don't know about chatting. It has better optimization than anything else I've tried though. Here's a blurb about it from a press release:

Some of the highlights:
    - Complete rewrite of the user interface to conform to the Blackberry user interface
    - Multi-account support (i.e. you can have 2 AIM accounts, 1 MSN account etc)
    - Wifi support
    - Compression, which saves up to 75% on data
    - Many power usage optimizations to extend battery life
    - Integration with the global message list on OS 4.6 (Blackberry Bold)
    - many many bug fixes
    Instango is available as a free download from instango.com - Mobile Instant Messaging
    06-24-09 03:49 AM
    hmm...i guess I've never had Beejive open long enough to notice. So if PUSH works for Gtalk, what about the AIM and MSN app??? Anyone know if it is also push?
    Yep. All using push

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-09 12:14 PM
    What I want to know is if the Google Talk app can be used with WiFi?
    Yes............
    06-29-09 04:48 PM
    I've found Instango to be battery friendly and it works well over all the chat services. I know it uses push for RSS but I don't know about chatting. It has better optimization than anything else I've tried though. Here's a blurb about it from a press release:

Some of the highlights:
    - Complete rewrite of the user interface to conform to the Blackberry user interface
    - Multi-account support (i.e. you can have 2 AIM accounts, 1 MSN account etc)
    - Wifi support
    - Compression, which saves up to 75% on data
    - Many power usage optimizations to extend battery life
    - Integration with the global message list on OS 4.6 (Blackberry Bold)
    - many many bug fixes
    Instango is available as a free download from instango.com - Mobile Instant Messaging
    Instango is HORRIBLE.

HUGE connection issues! It kept constantly disconnecting me.
    07-06-09 11:27 AM
    Instango is HORRIBLE.

HUGE connection issues! It kept constantly disconnecting me.
    Huh. I've never had a problem. Every once in a while if I've moved around a lot (i.e.- in and out of areas with good coverage), it disconnects me from one or more of the services. Otherwise I've never found it to be unreliable in the slightest.
    07-08-09 02:56 AM
    I saw that Blackberry released a PUSH API a little while ago (to try and compete with the iPhones new push services). Does anyone know when we will start seeing apps using that technology?
    07-08-09 06:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD