I recently moved about 1 hour away from south orange county, ca to los angeles.

At my new place, I know I don't have any GPS coverage indoors, but When ever I open up my google maps indoors at my new place, it always shows that I'm still I'm at my old place within 100 yards. If I go outside and the gps picks up, it will show I'm in the right location, but as soon as I step inside it shows me at my old house 1 Hour away.

Why does this happen and is there a fix. I already tried reinstalling google maps

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-10 06:04 AM
    This is cell tower aiding. When GPS is unavailable, it'll use the cellular towers to try to guess your location.

There's nothing you can do to correct that.

06-08-10 06:49 AM
    What has hapened is that the internal GPS has not updated itself. This may sound odd since Google Maps works but I believe that this is the case.

Please try the procedure below which has nothing to do with any mapping program.

For GPS to work properly you must be outside with a good clear view of a large portion of the sky. This give the GPS receiver the best possible chance to get a lock on 2 or more satellites.

Get yourself in position and then go to Options, Advanced Options, Location Settings.

Set GPS Data Source to Device
    GPS
    Location Services to Location On
    Set Location Data to whatever you wish
    Set Location Aiding to to Enabled

Press Menu and select Refresh GPS. Now give it 5 to 10 minutes to get a good lock and you will see the Latitude and Longditude values change to your location.

That's it, done. If this works, then GPS is working.

Now run Google Maps once more whilst you are still outside and press the " 0 " key a few times until you see your location resolution drop to 10 Meters.

Take the phone inside youe house and again run Google Maps. You should now see your location once more but since you no longer have GPS, the app will find itself by cell triangulation so the resolution may not get below 100 Meters. But, you should now at least be located somewhere near your new home.
    06-08-10 07:29 AM
    I recently moved about 1 hour away from south orange county, ca to los angeles.

At my new place, I know I don't have any GPS coverage indoors, but When ever I open up my google maps indoors at my new place, it always shows that I'm still I'm at my old place within 100 yards. If I go outside and the gps picks up, it will show I'm in the right location, but as soon as I step inside it shows me at my old house 1 Hour away.

Why does this happen and is there a fix. I already tried reinstalling google maps

Are you sure that where your at is where you are?
    Last edited by jshuford; 06-08-10 at 10:31 AM.
    06-08-10 10:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD