I am looking for an app that will get my gps location and then show me the weather radar for the area I am in.
    I can find all kinds of weather apps. but they are all for local area, I am sure you have to enter your zip code or city.
    I am a truck driver and want an app that will get the location for me.

If anyone know of an app like this please let know.

Thanks,
    Tommy
    12-01-08 05:08 AM
    Try Live Search. It's more than weather but it will use your GPS location to get the closest weather information as well as allow you to input city information. Just got to the following link using your BB.

wls.live.com
    12-01-08 07:14 AM
    Try Live Search. It's more than weather but it will use your GPS location to get the closest weather information as well as allow you to input city information. Just got to the following link using your BB.

wls.live.com
    Doesn't work in the UK :-(
    12-01-08 03:32 PM
    Doesn't work in the UK :-(
    The UK is lucky in a way that postcodes relate to a reasonably small area, and there would be a site somewhere that would give you lat/long -> postcode...
    12-02-08 12:29 AM
    The UK is lucky in a way that postcodes relate to a reasonably small area, and there would be a site somewhere that would give you lat/long -> postcode...
    Good point yes!
    12-02-08 03:33 AM
    I don't need all the other stuff, but thanks for the suggestion.
    All I want is weather at my gps location.

Thanks,
    Tommy
    12-02-08 04:19 AM
    Actually my comment about the UK would more or less hold for the US, at least for this, you don't care which postcode you are in as they are close enough together to give you a "weather" location, all you need is to get the postcode/zipcode from lat/lon, I think the USPS even publishes this info or someone does or it shouldn't be too hard to get one way or another.

Then you just send the current postcode/zipcode to the site you want to pull weather info from.

So the question is, what weather site do you normally prefer to use?
    12-02-08 05:07 AM

wls.live.com
    I haven't seen a lot of comment/reviews on live search, how is it compared to Google Maps about the same, better?

Any concerns/worries about putting a MS product on a BB and having it totally destroy and lock of your BB by any chance? That's the 1 reason I haven't downloaded it and tried it yet, but curious

Thanks

Jim
    12-02-08 07:53 AM
    I haven't seen a lot of comment/reviews on live search, how is it compared to Google Maps about the same, better?

Any concerns/worries about putting a MS product on a BB and having it totally destroy and lock of your BB by any chance? That's the 1 reason I haven't downloaded it and tried it yet, but curious

Thanks

Jim
    I'm running both on my 8310 with no problems. I'm not real crazy about MS Live Search and maybe that's because I just havn't used it much. But I have used the weather piece and it does work fine along side of Google Maps.
    12-02-08 08:17 AM

Thanks

Jim
    I personally aren't to impressed with LiveSearch GPS on the my BB 8130. The GPS is similar to GM, gets the closet tower. One thing that's very nice about it, the aerial views are very good and you can zoom in pretty close. But, i think there about 4 years old. I have used it to find some restraunts once or twice. Plus there's really no support for this product at all.
    12-02-08 11:45 AM
    I personally aren't to impressed with LiveSearch GPS on the my BB 8130. The GPS is similar to GM, gets the closet tower. One thing that's very nice about it, the aerial views are very good and you can zoom in pretty close. But, i think there about 4 years old. I have used it to find some restraunts once or twice. Plus there's really no support for this product at all.
    I'm wondering how long before the Geoeye-1 images start making their way onto google sat areas, this should give the most up to date and best imagery of any of the only mapping sites out there.

GeoEye-1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Google: Google GeoEye-1 Satellite Takes First Pic (Is that Your House?)
    12-02-08 05:19 PM
    The Weather Channel app 2.0 just came out. Will locate you and give you weather for your area by GPS. Works very well on my curve 8330. Make sure you get the 2.0 version just came out this month. It is $12.99 a quarter or $34.00? for a year subscription
    12-03-08 09:19 AM
    Sounds like a rip off, well for one feature this guy wanted, if I knew what site he preferred I could probably whip something up quick.
    12-03-08 06:29 PM
    Do a search for WHERE for blackberry. They have a built in application that will use your gps and automatically give you the weather for the area you are currently in. The program is a bit slow, but its free.
    12-04-08 12:11 AM
    Sounds like a rip off, well for one feature this guy wanted, if I knew what site he preferred I could probably whip something up quick.
    I was thinking the same thing. It would be a pretty easy program to whip up. But I had a couple of questions about implementing it. I sent you a PM a couple of days ago asking about this.
    12-04-08 07:35 AM
    I was thinking the same thing. It would be a pretty easy program to whip up. But I had a couple of questions about implementing it. I sent you a PM a couple of days ago asking about this.
    Sorry, didn't notice I had a message, no email to notify me, and no popup and I didn't notice a new message line... I'll go check it out now
    12-04-08 09:06 AM
    Jim;
    I have installed "live search" and as far as the mapping goes it loads maps a lot faster than Google. I like it for the mapping. You can have favorites and label them on the map. I would give the mapping part 4 stars out of 5. I was not happy with the weather in it as there is no radar (see below).

As far as the weather goes nobody read my post closely enough.
    I ask for an app that has weather radar.
    I tried that weather channel 2.0 but did not like it, plus it only let my try it 3 times.
    Also, not to sound mean, I don't need the weather in the UK. lol
    12-17-08 04:34 PM

Thanks,
    Tommy
    Look out your truck window?

Just kidding....
    12-17-08 04:39 PM
    LOL...HAHA...funny... :P

Looking out the window tells me what is going on right where I am not what is way up in front of me where I cannot see. Also If I had weather radar I could see where a storm is going to be before I get there.
    12-17-08 04:45 PM
    LOL...HAHA...funny... :P

Looking out the window tells me what is going on right where I am not what is way up in front of me where I cannot see. Also If I had weather radar I could see where a storm is going to be before I get there.

After reading your post a few weeks ago, I added this very option into BlackStar. We released it just last week. Download the latest and than click on the "Current Weather" option. It will show you the weather for where ever you happen to be standing in the world. It works great! Optionally it also has a radar on that same screen.
    12-17-08 05:04 PM
    I have WeatherBug on my Storm and it locates where I am via GPS and gives me local weather... VERY local. It finds the nearest weather reporting station and clues into that.

And what Bruce said... lol... (maybe I should read 'em all before replying...)
    12-17-08 07:34 PM
    Tommy, Verizon disables the gps for third party apps.
    12-18-08 04:54 AM
    Which weatherbug has GPS? I have weatherbug direct on phone. I don't see a listing for GPS. I have had in the past the susbscription weatherbug and found no GPS settings. !!By the way the new Blackstar weather link is great takes you to weather underground in whatever location you are at!!
    12-18-08 08:27 AM
    Which weatherbug has GPS? I have weatherbug direct on phone. I don't see a listing for GPS. I have had in the past the susbscription weatherbug and found no GPS settings. !!By the way the new Blackstar weather link is great takes you to weather underground in whatever location you are at!!
    The one listed Here. So, are most GPS enabled BBs turned off by Verizon? I thought I just read somewhere VZ was releasing GPS restrictions from all BBs. I could be wrong. (most likely)
    12-18-08 09:10 AM
    The one listed Here. So, are most GPS enabled BBs turned off by Verizon? I thought I just read somewhere VZ was releasing GPS restrictions from all BBs. I could be wrong. (most likely)
    I'm confused about this too, it seems they're giving out keys to selected apps or something, not unlocking it, then again no idea for sure.
    12-18-08 09:39 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD