I'm newbie. Why cant I use the GPS feature for the Maps application? Also, I download google maps and it doesn't work. Are Verizon disabling this so we have to buy VZW Navigator? If so, it SUCKS?
    11-24-07 06:12 AM
    yes...it sucks...

vznav or bust...

-db
    11-24-07 07:16 AM
    I've got the 8830 and the map works great for me try to reinstall it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-07 07:47 AM
    Blackberry maps are crap, I suggest you download Google maps instead. You get traffic and satellite maps too! Also they load faster, and scrolling is very smooth.
    11-24-07 06:31 PM
    The GPS on the Verizon BB's will NOT work with 3rd party mapping applications. It's limited to VZ's VZ Navigator. I recommend getting a bluetooth GPS puck. Then you can use GPS from it to use all the other applications out there.
    11-24-07 06:33 PM
    i just loaded nav4all and it seems pretty cool thus far,maps load pretty quickly and no problems at all
    11-24-07 08:54 PM
    Google Maps does not work for me either...I called Verizon and they said that Google Maps seems to have a problem working with Blackberries in general?

Even though I have VZ Navigator installed, I have not used it yet, since I don't want to pay for service if there is other piece of free software out there (such as Google Maps) that can provide me the same information. Any ideas?
    11-25-07 02:48 AM
    Google Maps does not work for me either...I called Verizon and they said that Google Maps seems to have a problem working with Blackberries in general?

Even though I have VZ Navigator installed, I have not used it yet, since I don't want to pay for service if there is other piece of free software out there (such as Google Maps) that can provide me the same information. Any ideas?
    If i can give you a quick tip Ron, DON'T call VZW customer service. They don't know anything about apps and whats going to work on BB(well you may find that one that knows a little bit). Google Maps WILL work on BBs. Because we have OS 4.3 on our BBs the google maps app wont work. I believe and correct me if I'm wrong, we are the only ones that have the OS 4.3 (the 8830 WE from VZW has it as well) so the 3RD parties that make our apps does not have the software to make the apps compatible with our BBs. I had google maps on my 8703e and it worked like a charm! Be patient, We will be able to have it in no time!

Click
    11-25-07 01:03 PM
    If i can give you a quick tip Ron, DON'T call VZW customer service. They don't know anything about apps and whats going to work on BB(well you may find that one that knows a little bit). Google Maps WILL work on BBs. Because we have OS 4.3 on our BBs the google maps app wont work. I believe and correct me if I'm wrong, we are the only ones that have the OS 4.3 (the 8830 WE from VZW has it as well) so the 3RD parties that make our apps does not have the software to make the apps compatible with our BBs. I had google maps on my 8703e and it worked like a charm! Be patient, We will be able to have it in no time!

Click
    Really? Google maps works perfectly for me... much better than the crappy blackberry maps! I did an OTA install though and have had it for about 2 weeks, also have the Gmail App, and a reverse phone number lookup application... so there are at least 3 Third party apps that work..
    11-25-07 11:52 PM
    Can Googlemaps use the 8130's GPS capabilities (like BlackBerry maps) or does it require an external GPS source via bluetooth? If it's the latter it defeats the point of having the GPS feature on the phone doesn't it?
    11-26-07 12:45 AM
    Really? Google maps works perfectly for me... much better than the crappy blackberry maps! I did an OTA install though and have had it for about 2 weeks, also have the Gmail App, and a reverse phone number lookup application... so there are at least 3 Third party apps that work..
    What link are you using to download google maps? I tried to use Google Maps when I use that link it downloads fine and then when I go on my BB home screen and click it, it gives me a error that it wont let me download. So I would LOVE to have my google maps back, PLEASE provide me with your info!!!
    Thanks,

Click
    11-26-07 06:02 AM
    Try

//google.com/gmm/apps/v1.6.4/L1/gmaps-BlackBerry-8100_v4_1_L1.jad
    11-26-07 12:58 PM
    What link are you using to download google maps? I tried to use Google Maps when I use that link it downloads fine and then when I go on my BB home screen and click it, it gives me a error that it wont let me download. So I would LOVE to have my google maps back, PLEASE provide me with your info!!!
    Thanks,

Click
    Yeah i just did the OTA install for the 8100! Works perfectly, although as we know you cannot use the built in GPS.. try the previous post, and if it doesn't work (i think it will!) I will find the same address I used...

good luck!
    11-26-07 01:31 PM
    Try

//google.com/gmm/apps/v1.6.4/L1/gmaps-BlackBerry-8100_v4_1_L1.jad
    Worked like a charm! Where have you been with this link? lol Man I tried EVERYTHING! (except this link )

Thanks,

Click
    11-26-07 02:06 PM
    Cool. It's a nice app. Just with the GPS would work with it! I just joined today. Picked up my 8130 about a week ago and I'm finally getting it all sorted out.
    11-26-07 02:28 PM
    What is the procedure to get google maps on the 8130? What does OTA? I try to put in the link in my browser but keep getting error message, "not found"
    11-26-07 03:43 PM
    OTA is Over The Air. Just fire up your Blackberry browser and Go To that url. Should start the installation process for you. Keep in mind that the URL is case sensitive.
    11-26-07 06:51 PM
    Daddyg. The easiest way(my opion) is to cut and copy the link from this thread(off your PC) and then email it to your self, that way your BB gets it. Then go into the email and copy the link and then paste it in the BB browser. That way you don't take your time to enter it in and miss somthing or you didn't but a space some where. Just my 2 cents.

Click
    11-26-07 06:56 PM
    That's sound advice. You can save yourself a ton of key punching that way. I'm a glutton for punishment! Good practice for a Pearl keyboard newbie.
    11-26-07 07:13 PM
    A few days ago, I erased the blackberrymaps and the google maps from my 8120, my OS is 4.5.0.110.
    Now i'm trying to reinstall any of them but I can't (the device is not compatible) I need these app because I will travel this week to europe.
    Please help me
    Thank u
    01-23-09 08:32 PM
    im confused i can turn my gps location from 911 to location. Does this mean mine is working or is there more to the gps features that i am not understanding. Hope i dont sound to stupid this is jsut my first bb and im trying to learn all i can
    01-23-09 09:28 PM
    hi very new to this I have a Blackberry 8110 where can i down load GPS from or do I nee to go through my service orovider and get ripped off
    06-04-09 07:21 AM
    You can get around the Verizon lockout of GPS and use it with Google Maps. There are instructions elsewhere on the forum:

I'm a new user, so I can't post the link, but look for the page thread "A Real Fix for Your GPS Issues"
    09-21-09 02:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD