A couple of friends and I are going to Blizzcon this year and ive been looking for a way to locate eachother. One friend had the same phone as i do but the other has an Iphone. I'm looking for an app that can locate my friends (with-in a meter or two) so we can go our seperate ways and still find eachother if we get lost or find cool stuff. I've looked at some programs that are accurate to 1.5km but id kinda like to know where in a building they are rather than what block they are on. any suggestions?
    Last edited by pkcable; 06-11-09 at 08:31 AM. Reason: made title descriptive
    06-11-09 01:15 AM
    What about Latitude on Google Maps.
    Its pretty accurate, I can tell what part of their house a few people are. We've since stopped using it for this very reason.
    06-11-09 01:26 AM
    You would have to make sure you can get a gps signal where you are. One good idea for the 2 of you that have a BB would be that new ptt app, that would be instant communication, see if the buddy with the iphone will see the light and get a BB, then your problems are solved.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-11-09 06:35 AM
    Yea Google Latitude is your best bet, as it will work on both BBs and the iphone. However the acuracy may vary based on your built in GPS, which some BBs don't have, or the carrier's have locked down.

Also remember to ....(from our Forum Posting Rules)......

Use a Descriptive Title
    This rule is simple; help us to help you. When you create your thread / post, think of it as if 'somone else' is reading it. With that in mind, make your subject lines related to the content of your post. Having a subject line of 'help' or 'now what', will not really help others later when they do a search for a particular issue. So, try to be a little more creative. Example: “My Pearl will not show myFaves icons” or “How do I use BB Maps on my 8100”
    06-11-09 08:33 AM
    A couple of friends and I are going to Blizzcon this year and ive been looking for a way to locate eachother. One friend had the same phone as i do but the other has an Iphone. I'm looking for an app that can locate my friends (with-in a meter or two) so we can go our seperate ways and still find eachother if we get lost or find cool stuff. I've looked at some programs that are accurate to 1.5km but id kinda like to know where in a building they are rather than what block they are on. any suggestions?
    Never gonna happen.

There are no recreational grade GPS receivers (cell phone or otherwise) with that kind of accuracy.

You would need a survey grade GPS receiver to get that kind of accuracy. Not gonna ever happen on a cell phone.

Note also to some of the other responses that Google Latitude is not yet available for the iPhone (reportedly soon, though).
    06-11-09 09:24 AM
    Never gonna happen.

There are no recreational grade GPS receivers (cell phone or otherwise) with that kind of accuracy.

You would need a survey grade GPS receiver to get that kind of accuracy. Not gonna ever happen on a cell phone.

Note also to some of the other responses that Google Latitude is not yet available for the iPhone (reportedly soon, though).
    Yes, that's what I was thinking. no way this is going to work as the OP wants. I have only seen 2 GPS devices that can do this, and my uncle uses them for surveying purposes.

As someone said above, check out the PTT thing, or use MMS. Just snap a pic of wher eyou are and send it, they can find you quickly.
    06-11-09 10:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD