I finally received my Google Voice invite yesterday, and downloaded the Google Voice app on my BlackBerry as well. I wanted to use the service kind of like my Youmail account. Being able to have voice messages saved to my Google Voice account. It's not working out for me so far. When doing a search about Google Voice, it seems that many people had bad things to say about Google Voice, or really don't use it. Has anyone here found good use for the service and setup for Google Voice?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-09 11:08 AM
    I give my GV number (formerly GC) to businesses I'm having issues with so that I can record their calls in the event of a dispute. Beyond that I don't use it.
    07-21-09 11:23 AM
    I give my GV number (formerly GC) to businesses I'm having issues with so that I can record their calls in the event of a dispute. Beyond that I don't use it.
    Do you record the actual conversation, or just the voice mail message?

07-21-09 11:26 AM
    I have an account but haven't used it much yet. I mostly plan to use it for sending SMS when I'm overseas to avoid Verizons charges.
    07-21-09 11:26 AM
    I have an account but haven't used it much yet. I mostly plan to use it for sending SMS when I'm overseas to avoid Verizons charges.
    Me too!!!!
    07-21-09 11:29 AM
    This is only the beginning, Google Voice is a relatively new concept, and once it is officially open to the masses, I think we will see new developers taking advantage and our phones as we know them will be changed forever....

As for right now, I find it very useful. I have already taken the plunge to give everyone my new number. I was hesitant at first, but after playing with the service a little, I am confident that I will keep it. I was lucky enough to get a GV number that is the same as my current cell phone number with just the first three digits being different. I have had the same cell number for about 8 years, so changing it this one time is not a big deal, and worth it IMO.

My wife calls my GV number and both my cell and work phones ring at the same time, awesome. My buddy calls me on my way home from work and as I walk in the door at my house, I can easily and instantly transfer the call to my home phone. A customer decides to call me on a Sunday while I am spending time with my family, and since he is not in my Friends or Family contact groups, he gets sent straight to voicemail.

I am loving the entire concept, and I'm eagerly awaiting Google to release a new version of their blackberry app that might better integrate the dialing with the native phone app. Just think of where it could go after that....
    07-21-09 11:32 AM
    I'm pretty excited to see where this goes, but I just haven't committed to using it 100% yet.

I think part of the reason is just that I don't use the phone to talk that much so I don't need to screen the 3 people that call me.
    07-21-09 11:54 AM
    I'm pretty excited to see where this goes, but I just haven't committed to using it 100% yet.

I think part of the reason is just that I don't use the phone to talk that much so I don't need to screen the 3 people that call me.
    I see where you are coming from.... as a small business owner my phone never stops ringing, and once a customer gets a hold of your cell phone number, it is game over..... I don't want that to ever happen again. Some customers even call me on sundays sometimes, which I think is ridiculous.
    07-21-09 12:21 PM
    I can see how GV is a life saver in your situation. If I had more people calling me i would certainly use it more.
    07-21-09 12:35 PM
    I use mine to carry one device for home, work, and personal. I have set the times when each rings.

Work Phone rings 0630 through 1530
    Work Cell rings 0600 through 1800
    Personal Cell rings 1530 through 2100
    Home Phone rings 2100 through 0630
    07-21-09 12:45 PM
    I find it very useful. Now I have a general number different from my personal one... free calls and all, and now I am able to reduce my cell phone bill with careful use.
    07-21-09 12:47 PM
    GV has features that I'm like "Ohhh. That's cool!" but then would never use again. Like so many people I don't have a 2nd phone. And the one remaining useful feature is also available from youmail.
    07-21-09 12:48 PM
    I was wondering the same thing if it was worth it...thanks for everyones insight
    07-21-09 12:50 PM
    Personally, I love the voice mail transcription with Google Voice, it's been pretty accurate for me, as always YMMV
    07-21-09 12:58 PM
    GV is very useful, if you have a need for the features. For those of us with office lines, multiple cell phones, home numbers, home office numbers etc it provides a central point of contact that you can be reached on, receive text messages on, get voice mails transcribed (spotty accuracy but will improve i'm sure), not to mention the ability to txfr a call from one phone to another seamlessly, record calls etc.

If you dont need any of that, yeah the service isn't that big a deal. I use it all and am very pleased with it.

I find the Google app for GV on the BB to be garbage personally. I want to make my outbound calls by dialing my GV number to take advantage of my Pick3 addon. The Google app dials a 307 number. I also don't like the GVDialer application very much.

Coming off my Treo 755p I was using TakePhone which is a fantastic dialer addon that rocks in it's own right, but it also allows you to use calling cards. By adding GV as a calling card you can make all (or some) of your outbound calls through GV direct from your address book on the phone. On the BB you have options like EasyDialer, CardKaller, BerryDialer and a few others. EasyDialer is pretty functional @10 bucks, but the trial was pretty damn short. Only used it a few times before it expired on me. Other similar apps seem to run between $15 - $20.
    07-21-09 12:59 PM
    I like the GVDialer app... very functional for my needs. The official GY BB app is too rudimentary for me.

I have one phone, and I absolutely love Google Voice as a concept. So far, it works well for me. A simple GVDialer call and a quick note to friends and business people to change my number. Making use of MyFaves is phenomenal.

Wish I had stumbled on it sooner.
    07-21-09 01:05 PM
    I've been waiting for an invite for awhile to test this out.. feel free to send it my way if you don't want yours
    07-21-09 01:07 PM
    I have also been waiting on my invite (for what seems like months, but really only a few weeks) so if anyone can send me an invite, it would be much appreciated!!!!
    07-21-09 01:34 PM
    The invites can only come from google, no normal users have invites.
    07-21-09 01:42 PM
    This is the topic I came across that made me wonder is it worth using:
    Top 10 Reasons NOT to forward a phone TO Google Voice - Google Voice Help
    07-21-09 02:50 PM
    i haven't used it much, but it handles all my voice mails now
    callers are fowarded to my GV# when i don't pick up or line is busy..
    A LOT better than having to deal with calling my vmail or paying for visual vmail
    07-21-09 03:27 PM
    This would incur international data roaming rates (if one doesn't have an international plan). Right?
    07-21-09 05:37 PM
    Do you record the actual conversation, or just the voice mail message?

Both, and yes, I tell them I'm recording when I answer the phone.
    07-22-09 09:50 AM
    This is the topic I came across that made me wonder is it worth using:
    Top 10 Reasons NOT to forward a phone TO Google Voice - Google Voice Help
    The post you're referring to is about why users should not forward their CELL calls to GV.

Google Voice is a call forwarding management system that you receive calls FROM. It can screw things up (create loops) if you setup your cell phone to forward calls up to GV which then, by design, tries to forward back to your cell phone.

GV works great for the most part but is still a beta service. It's more a question about whether or not the perks of the features are worth some occasional random behavior.

If you are using GV as intended, you setup your GV account to forward calls to all lines you want to receive calls on potentially. This could be cell phone(s), office line, home phone etc. You then give all contacts your GV number to reach you or text you at. When a call comes in, google simultaneously rings all the lines on your account. You simply answer on whatever phone you wish to talk on.

Hope that helps.
    07-22-09 09:59 AM
    I decided against Google Voice since I would have to use a new number. My phone numbers are well established with family, friends and business associates. I'm not interested in trying to establish a new number that I don't know if I will continue to use.

Instead, I have VoIP at home and have it set up to ring my home phone and cell phone simultaneously (VoicePulse and Vonange both offer this feature). I get my phone calls wherever I am. I also have YouMail set up, so that all of my voice messages go there (regardless of what phone number people call). I did pay for the premium YouMail service so that I can get transcriptions. It was worth it to keep my phone numbers and it is not that expensive. It is not necessary to pay for the service if transcriptions are not important to you (I rely on them).

I know that Google Voice has a few features that YouMail does not have, but I'm not sure I would use those. People have too many phone numbers. The fact that Google makes you choose yet another is the deal breaker for me.
    07-27-09 09:46 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD