I just got my invite today and was wondering if any tour users have set it up. Did you all download the bb app? And how is it running? I'm thinking about waiting until I can port numbers. Any opinions?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-09 12:41 PM
    I just got my invite today and was wondering if any tour users have set it up. Did you all download the bb app? And how is it running? I'm thinking about waiting until I can port numbers. Any opinions?

installed the app on both my tour and my 8830. Works very well. No complaints and, most importantly, no crashes.

07-28-09 12:45 PM
    i use it all the time. i really like it. i have given it to the few people that i never want to lose contact with. has anyone tested the theory that it uses voip for voice on the berry thus not using your minutes?
    07-28-09 12:47 PM
    Was also wondering if it eats up minutes

07-28-09 12:48 PM
    i just have not had time to mess around with it to test it out.
    07-28-09 12:51 PM
    From my research it's a land line number that you're issued. So Verizon's Mobile to Mobile calling doesn't work in the cases where someone calls your GV number or you dial via GV (either desktop or app based)
    07-28-09 12:52 PM
    in short yeah it eats minutes...if used during non Night and Weekend time frame
    07-28-09 12:53 PM
    It's useless for me because of 2 reasons

a) I don't have a wireless plan that has free MyFav list, so my M2M minutes get used with GV. And for the record, GV does eat your minutes unless you configure that MyFav list thing.

b) Number porting is still not implemented.

Maybe sometime in the future when AND if this technology takes off.
    Last edited by redwanhuq; 07-28-09 at 01:11 PM.
    07-28-09 12:56 PM
    really? Its not VOIP? How can it use your verizon minutes if its using the GV phone number?
    07-28-09 12:57 PM
    I've installed the blackberry app for GV on my Sprint Tour, and used it successfully - I've used it very sparingly though. I have noticed that after a phone restart, GV will launch and run in the background...I'm not sure why it auto launches, or that it's necessary for it to be running all the time. I usually exit the application entirely.
    07-28-09 01:02 PM
    I just got my invite the other day and I'm in the process of playing with it.. I'm lucky enough to have a perk on Sprint that will let me call a handful of numbers for free.... So I'll be adding my GV # to that, so me using my GV # will come at no cost to me....
    07-28-09 01:08 PM
    Also I'm really confused on how to forward my calls to my cell and set my alert to do not disturb on google voice so I can utilize the Voicemail features without changing my original number until porting starts

07-28-09 01:09 PM
    check the other threads for tips and settings. under tour forum and 3rd party apps forum. the key for fave 5/friends and family etc is how you have the phone forwarded under settings. see the other threads for info.
    07-28-09 01:16 PM
    really? Its not VOIP? How can it use your verizon minutes if its using the GV phone number?
    Google Voice is not VoIP...Google Talk (and Skype) is though. GV is quite different and has a different function.
    07-28-09 01:20 PM
    search is your friend...

I did a long winded post explaining all the gv features and what is what.

Not to jump on you or anything, but we have what, 10 threads asking the exact same question?

07-28-09 01:34 PM
    Any idea when or IF porting will become available

07-28-09 01:34 PM
    Porting: It WILL be available in the future.
    07-28-09 01:39 PM
    Ok good ten char
    T

07-28-09 03:01 PM
    What APPS do you download for GV I have the number already
    07-28-09 03:12 PM
    I'm interested in google voice only for the free sms option. Is anybody doing this? I would like to know how it works

07-28-09 03:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD