Hi all,

I finally set up my Storm to use google voice. I've had a GV account for months now but just never seemed to want to make it my primary number.

When google started letting any existing mobile number be used for voicemail I decided to set it up. So now when any of my family or friends call my original VZW number they go to my google voicemail instead.

Now I only received a couple of calls yesterday and only one left me a voicemail. I checked this voicemail using the GV app.

However, when I look at my usage for yesterday on Verizon I see a few extra minutes being used saying I dialed google voice when I did not.

So my question:

Do you get charged a minute or two everytime someone calls you and it forwards to your google voice number? Also, do you get charged minutes for using the GV app to check your voicemails?
    11-27-09 01:12 PM
    Hi all,

I finally set up my Storm to use google voice. I've had a GV account for months now but just never seemed to want to make it my primary number.

When google started letting any existing mobile number be used for voicemail I decided to set it up. So now when any of my family or friends call my original VZW number they go to my google voicemail instead.

Now I only received a couple of calls yesterday and only one left me a voicemail. I checked this voicemail using the GV app.

However, when I look at my usage for yesterday on Verizon I see a few extra minutes being used saying I dialed google voice when I did not.

So my question:

Do you get charged a minute or two everytime someone calls you and it forwards to your google voice number? Also, do you get charged minutes for using the GV app to check your voicemails?
    The GV app uses data only to check voicemails, so it doesn't count against your minutes.

When your unanswered calls are forwarded to your GV voicemail, it uses minutes. Add your Google Voice number to your Friends and Family and it won't.

Also note that you can use your Google Voice to make free calls. Add your GV number to F&F, then dial it, enter your pin, dial "2" to access outgoing calls, then dial the number.
    11-27-09 01:37 PM
    There are actually 2 Google phone numbers that will be associated with your account: (1) your Google Voice phone number, and (2) the actual number that the Google Voice app uses for outgoing calls. For example, use the Google Voice app on your mobile and call your home number. Then look at the outgoing logs of your cell phone and you'll see that the Google Voice app will call a different number than the one you dialed. I just add both of those numbers to my F&F and have not used any minutes on my plan in the last few months.

Or like rlmesq said, call your GV number, enter yout PIN, dial 2, dial the number you want to call.
    11-27-09 03:33 PM
    Anyone know if u get charged for texting through GV

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-27-09 08:17 PM
    Google Voice or similar servic is a 2-legged call. When someone call your GV, that person will be responsible for leg of the call. When that call is forwarded to your phone (cell or land), you are responsible for that leg of the call. Depend on your carrier and service paln, you need to plan accordingly.

By next year when GV can actually privide VoIP through data.

11-27-09 08:29 PM
    Ok, my plan is unlimited within my region, I can't do long distance, that is .07, but it sounds like if I call my gv and dial out of it that long distance should be free - cool!

Now need to make sure my texting is free because I have not signed up for a texting plan.

Google Voice or similar servic is a 2-legged call. When someone call your GV, that person will be responsible for leg of the call. When that call is forwarded to your phone (cell or land), you are responsible for that leg of the call. Depend on your carrier and service paln, you need to plan accordingly.

By next year when GV can actually privide VoIP through data.

11-27-09 08:33 PM
    You have free text with GV on your phone because the text is actually go through your email, not texting service.

In Google Voice setting, Voicemail and SMS, SMS Forwarding, check this box.

To initiate a text, go to your GV app on the phone. The text is actually sent out via your data plan. So no charge.

When someone send a text to your GV phone. The text is forwarded to you via email, which you will get on your phone. When you reply to the text, the reply text is sent back to GV voice via email, then GV will text it back to the recipient.
    11-27-09 08:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD