Tuesday, June 22, 2010 | 10:00 AM

A little over a year ago, we released an early preview of Google Voice, our web-based platform for managing your communications. We introduced one number to ring all your phones, voicemail that works like email, free calls and text messages to the U.S. and Canada, low-priced international calls and more�the only catch was you had to request and receive an invite to try it out. Today, after lots of testing and tweaking, we�re excited to open up Google Voice to the public, no invitation required.

Over the past year, we�ve introduced a mobile web app, an integrated voicemail player in Gmail, the ability to use Google Voice with your existing number and more. Over a million of you are now actively using Google Voice, and many of the features released over the past year (like SMS to email and our Chrome extension) came as a result of your suggestions, so thanks!

If you haven�t yet tried Google Voice, we can�t wait for you to try it out and let us know what you think. Check out our revamped features page to learn about everything Google Voice can do, and if you haven�t seen it yet, this video provides a good overview in less than two minutes:
    06-22-10 12:10 PM
    Everyone in the US, that is.
    06-22-10 12:42 PM
    thank God. if i see one more google invite thread, ima flip
    06-22-10 12:50 PM
    thank God. if i see one more google invite thread, ima flip
    Makes more room for the socialscope threads.
    06-22-10 12:57 PM
    lol. crap
    06-22-10 03:45 PM
    Not trying to be a smarta$$ here . . Read up on "google voice" and just don't see why this would be useful . . someone enlighten me please? I don't get why having another phone number would be useful . . sounds more like a pain to me.
    06-22-10 03:53 PM
    well, it can be USED many different ways.
    if you are one who has many phones (home, cell, work, work cell, etc), this could easily become an important/utilized service. like myself, i use my google voice to give out on Craiglist posts, and I also use it as my main voicemail, which my real cell # has setup to use as my main voicemail (not the useless one you get from ur phone co). i have custom voicemails setup for each contact too. i also like to have it transcribed & sent via email.

i mean.. this is only a little dust off the surface of what it can do, imo. it'll only get better.

& and this small pointless fact, when you call your voicemail to listen to them, the lady that talks...TALKS FAST. I don't have to sit there & listen to a robot sounding voice that takes 20 extra seconds to get out a sentence

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Voice#Features
    Last edited by webmastir; 06-22-10 at 04:03 PM.
    06-22-10 04:00 PM
    well, it can be USED many different ways.
    if you are one who has many phones (home, cell, work, work cell, etc), this could easily become an important/utilized service. like myself, i use my google voice to give out on Craiglist posts, and I also use it as my main voicemail, which my real cell # has setup to use as my main voicemail (not the useless one you get from ur phone co). i have custom voicemails setup for each contact too. i also like to have it transcribed & sent via email.

i mean.. this is only a little dust off the surface of what it can do, imo. it'll only get better.

& and this small pointless fact, when you call your voicemail to listen to them, the lady that talks...TALKS FAST. I don't have to sit there & listen to a robot sounding voice that takes 20 extra seconds to get out a sentence

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Voice#Features

You point out something I didn't think of . . "the useless voicemail from my cell phone company" . .

So, if I have this service, and someone calls my existing cell phone number (not google voice number) and it goes to voicemail: I can set it up so that it would forward the voicemail to the "google voice" service/voicemail box??
    . . . and I would check my voice message through google voice service??

Sorry about what may seem like simple questions . . but I can see how this may kinda be useful now.

Thanks
    06-22-10 04:25 PM
    Correct...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-10 04:43 PM
    You can use Google Voice to replace your carrier's voicemail.

The BlackBerry app isn't quite as pretty as Verizon Virtual Voicemail, but it has a number of cool features, most notably transcription. It isn't super-accurate, but you can get the transcripts via email, then scan them quickly during a meeting and decide whether it's urgent enough to excuse yourself and call back.

You can also set personal greetings for callers, or even send them straight to voicemail.

It's far better than VVM, and gives you free services that cost extra on YouMail
    06-22-10 06:27 PM
    i seem to cant download it, it just keeps going to the web-based version. My browser settings are changed to internet explorer.
    06-22-10 07:05 PM
    I also cant download it when I try it stays on the web version and when I try m.google.com/voice/download it says my device is not supported. I thought it was for all blackberrys? Can someone help?
    06-22-10 11:31 PM
    These questions have been answered >9,000 times. For the search-impaired:

There is an actual app for BlackBerry. You need to go into browser settings and change the browser ID to FireFox. Download the App, then change it back.
    06-23-10 11:32 AM
    Does this app ever get an update? is there anyway to tell if it gets an update?
    06-23-10 08:54 PM
    Does this app ever get an update? is there anyway to tell if it gets an update?
    Nope...not really. Now that google has their own OS/app for it, they rarely update others...especially BB vers.

Last edited by webmastir; 06-23-10 at 09:25 PM.
    06-23-10 09:23 PM
    i tried to have it to were my sms would just come stright to my phone but its not working.
    06-24-10 11:22 PM
    You went to google.com/voice on a computer & set it to fwd to your real cell# right? & you verified ur cell #?

06-24-10 11:27 PM
    These questions have been answered >9,000 times. For the search-impaired:

There is an actual app for BlackBerry. You need to go into browser settings and change the browser ID to FireFox. Download the App, then change it back.
    I have tried that and it still will not work. I have tried it as firefox and internet explorer and still doesn't work. Can you pm me and send me the files?
    06-25-10 12:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD