Google has just extended the special offer (free calling to US&Canada) to the end of 2012.

Has anyone been able to get this to work on their blackberries? I tried it and every time the results are always the same: "Not subscribed to Google Voice. Please check your account settings."

It still works on the desktop. Is it still not available for smartphones in Canada?
    Elrohir59 likes this.
    02-04-12 01:18 AM
    Dear phoreoneone,

Yes, GV works in Canada. I've been using it for years. I'm on Bell Mobility. Now, having said that, the "free phone calls to US and Canada" feature does NOT work on my phone and it hasn't worked for me since day 1. I use GV to send and receive text messages for free.

Elrohir59
    02-04-12 12:28 PM
    So, perhaps you can explain to us how you got past the "Not subscribed to Google Voice. Please check your account settings." message mentioned in the above post. I get the same message so can't even use the texting portion of the program??

Thanks for helping the rest of us.

R...

Dear phoreoneone,

Yes, GV works in Canada. I've been using it for years. I'm on Bell Mobility. Now, having said that, the "free phone calls to US and Canada" feature does NOT work on my phone and it hasn't worked for me since day 1. I use GV to send and receive text messages for free.

Elrohir59
    02-04-12 11:18 PM
    OK, I'll try.

1. Ensure you have Google Voice v0.2.0.3 installed. I don't know if that's the latest one, but that's what I have installed on my Torch 9860, so I can only answer for that.
    2. Ensure that ALL of the Google Voice application permissions are set to Allow: Connections, Interactions and User Data. That's what I have set on my phone.
    3. From a desktop PC, go to google.com/voice and log in. This just confirms that the account is still active. Once in, click on the "gears" icon on the top right, then choose Voice Settings. Ensure that the Google Voice number forwards calls to your cell phone. That's what I have set for my GV account. Log out of Google Voice.
    4. On your phone, run the app and try to log in.
    5. Run the app and go to the Settings screen. Ensure that in the top part, your cell phone's cell number is the one chosen. That's what I have set on my phone.

That should be it. I do not know what else to recommend. If this doesn't work, try the following:

1. Uninstall Google Voice.
    2. If you're asked to reboot your phone, do so. If not, do a battery pull.
    3. Once the phone is back online, run the native BB browser.
    4. Go to Google Voice for your phone and reinstall GV.
    5. Re-try the steps at the beginning of this post.

Good luck.

Elrohir59
    02-04-12 11:40 PM
    OK, I'll try.

1. Ensure you have Google Voice v0.2.0.3 installed. I don't know if that's the latest one, but that's what I have installed on my Torch 9860, so I can only answer for that.
    2. Ensure that ALL of the Google Voice application permissions are set to Allow: Connections, Interactions and User Data. That's what I have set on my phone.
    3. From a desktop PC, go to google.com/voice and log in. This just confirms that the account is still active. Once in, click on the "gears" icon on the top right, then choose Voice Settings. Ensure that the Google Voice number forwards calls to your cell phone. That's what I have set for my GV account. Log out of Google Voice.
    4. On your phone, run the app and try to log in.
    5. Run the app and go to the Settings screen. Ensure that in the top part, your cell phone's cell number is the one chosen. That's what I have set on my phone.

That should be it. I do not know what else to recommend. If this doesn't work, try the following:

1. Uninstall Google Voice.
    2. If you're asked to reboot your phone, do so. If not, do a battery pull.
    3. Once the phone is back online, run the native BB browser.
    4. Go to Google Voice for your phone and reinstall GV.
    5. Re-try the steps at the beginning of this post.

Good luck.

Elrohir59
    I tried this and I still received the same notification :s

So, perhaps you can explain to us how you got past the "Not subscribed to Google Voice. Please check your account settings." message mentioned in the above post. I get the same message so can't even use the texting portion of the program??

Thanks for helping the rest of us.

R...
    any luck with your attempt?
    02-05-12 10:55 PM
    phoreoneone,

OK. Let me try something else. Do you know how to send a private message to me via this forum (I don't)? What I'd like to do, contingent of course on your OK, is to log in on my GV account on my cell phone AS YOU. That is, log in to my phone's GV app with your GV username and password, just to see if I get the same message as you. Afterwards, you can change the GV account password so I don't know it anymore. If you don't want to do this, that's fine: we can try other steps.

Also, if I send a text message to your GV number, and then you log in to your GV account on your desktop PC, will you see my text there? I'm asking because I don't know how you've set up your GV account settings.

Elrohir59
    02-05-12 11:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD