I have a Bold 9700 for work. I also have a basic flip for personal use. I'm considering getting rid of the flip and just using the Bold for all purposes. My company's policy allows personal use on work phones within reason. All I'd need to do is pay for the text plan with AT&T, since I'm mainly a texter and texts aren't covered by my company.

I'm also considering another option. Instead of paying for the text plan, I could just use Google Voice on my Bold and get free SMS.

Have any of you used Google Voice on a BB? How does it compare to having regular SMS service with a carrier? I've heard there can be delays in getting texts with Google Voice.

With Google Voice and a BB, is it possible to set it up so that your phone ringer when someone calls your Google number is different from the ringer when someone calls your regular work #? That would be nice...

Thanks
    11-04-12 05:41 PM
    I use Google Voice with my 9700 and it works well for texting. The only thing is that SMS doesn't use Push, so sometimes there can be some lag when messages arrive (if using the Google Voice app).

As far as phone calls, Google Voice has a couple of options. If you set it up to display your Google Voice number when calls are received, you won't see who is calling (since it display your GV number), but you can set the ringtone for that number to be different than work. You can also have GV set to show the callers ID, you just have to set the ringtone for the caller (I don't remember if you can set up ringtones based on category).
    11-04-12 06:26 PM
    I used it on my Tour. Worked well enough. But yes there is a minimum refresh interval for checking for new SMS messages-- 15 minutes as I recall. Though at times folks would send me texts and I'd get them right away. The worst issues I had were with the interface being poorly designed. It was a weird tabbed interface. I seem to remember the new message notification only sounded when on a certain tab or something like that.

It works but is not a perfect substitute for actual carrier level SMS service.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    11-04-12 07:17 PM
    I moved towards using GV as my texting service way back when. I cannot tell you how it works now, but it worked great back then.

My GV number is my main number.
    11-04-12 07:22 PM
    I moved towards using GV as my texting service way back when. I cannot tell you how it works now, but it worked great back then.

My GV number is my main number.
    But on Android right? Google Voice on Android is lightyears better than their BlackBerry app.

11-04-12 07:53 PM
    But on Android right? Google Voice on Android is lightyears better than their BlackBerry app.

Correct, but I did use it use it back when Google first released the BB GV app.
    11-04-12 09:40 PM
    I absolutely love GV! I used it from way back when it was called Grand Central. I only used it for forwarding calls way back when I had my 8320, but I've used all of the features since I had it on my 8900/9700/9780 and now my 9900. It can't compare to the carriers text messaging since there can be some delays on occasion, but for the most part they come in just fine for me. I currently use it for a sub-set of individuals that I deal with, especially when I don't want to give out my real phone number. You can set up a specific ringtone in your profiles settings, so whenever someone calls that number, it can have a different ring that your normal incoming call ringer. It also works well with BerryBuzz (BeBuzz). It can be refreshed (voicemail) at a rate of "never" or every 5/10/15/20/30 minutes or every hour. I have mine set to every 30 minutes. I also really like the transcriptions of voicemails too. It's pretty accurate when the caller speaks clearly. If they mumble or are in a loud environment, the transcripts can get real busted, but hilarious at times..

I really hope that Google will support it for BB10, but with their little rift right now, I'm not sure if it will happen...
    They haven't updated the BB app for ages as it already stands.
    I just transfer it from device to device as I go along.
    11-05-12 12:05 AM
    I too heavily use GV texting and OP, you've heard it right--there is a delay. The smallest refresh interval under settings is 5 minutes, but I mostly find myself refreshing.

I also find it a bit annoying that the messages "blend in". What I mean by that is, that there isn't a very clear distinction between incoming and outgoing messages within the thread. So if somehow a new message sneaks in (say when I'm replying to a message and the alert doesn't go off), I miss it in the thread.

Also, MADBRAD, what rift are you talking about? I know RIM and Google (Android) are competitors, but did I miss something that's happened recently?
    11-06-12 02:32 PM
    Also, MADBRAD, what rift are you talking about? I know RIM and Google (Android) are competitors, but did I miss something that's happened recently?
    Nah, Bro. You haven't missed anything. I didn't post it to mean in the way you're speaking of. I was just talking about the lack of support and updates to many of their services. Not like they are in a Samsung vs Apple thing. It's just a "not give a damn" attitude.
    11-08-12 12:02 AM
    Oh I got you now. Yeah...their support has gone from minimal to non-existent It's a shame too, considering how much their apps (Maps, Voice, Sync) are used by BB users. Heck...even the standalone GMail app gets tons of downloads from private hosts. Just ask wu-wei.
    11-08-12 11:58 AM