I'm considering upgrading my device to a Blackberry Tour (from a non-BB/SF). The only way I can justify this is to be able to use something like the Google Voice app to make VoIP calls through the data plan. I cannot justify the expense of the unlimited data plan at my current minute usage (1400), but if I can cut down or eliminate my minute usage and downgrade to a lower plan, I would be able to justify the expense. I know I've seen these apps mentioned across various blogs over the past couple months - usually in reference to Sprint/T-Mob/ATT. The question is - is it possible to setup an app like this for a VZW BB?
    09-16-09 07:30 AM
    No, not yet.
    09-16-09 10:42 AM
    Is there a technical reason this cannot happen or just that Verizon locks down this type of thing?
    09-16-09 11:09 AM
    What good is it if VZW cannot bill you for minutes?

I suppose gas stations should start giving gas away hoping to make money on soda and cioggarrettes.

Why do you think Apple Caulk Blocked GoogleVoice?
    09-16-09 11:51 AM
    Has an VZW Tour owner tried going to m.google.com/voice to install the app?
    09-16-09 12:46 PM
    i just got my tour yesterday and installed google voice app...works just as good as it did on my curve...if you get a verizon plan with friends and family (5 favorite numbers), you can set your google voice number as a one of the favorites. So basically when you make a call out from your google voice number, the google voice number gets called out from your phone and since its a favorite, its unlimited minutes, and then the google voice number calls the number you want, making any of those calls unlimited unbillable minutes.

Ive tried it before and it works, and I know a others on here have done it, as there have posts on it before.
    09-16-09 12:54 PM
    There is no real VOIP avail on any BB, at all. The bb Google Voice App simply calls Goog's access number, although rather seemlessly, it still uses reg phone minutes for both in and out calls. RIM has not released the API needed to make any kind of bb VOIP call apps. Just doesn't exist. However, Android phones have an app called Sipdroid that works flawlessly with data only Voip calls. Win Mob has apps for it too. Jailbroken iphone also has apps. Sadly, no dice for bb

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-16-09 01:00 PM
    Yea, I've thought about that. My problem with that is the minimum family plans that have F&F are the 1400 minute plans which basically negates the whole point of my question. My usage patters are such that my wife racks up ~800+ min alone talking to her few close friends (which would be where the F&F would be handy). I really wish that VZW had something like 5 F&F numbers on the 700 min family plans as that would really be helpful. Then I might be able to justify the data plans.
    09-16-09 01:44 PM
    How can I get an invitation to Google Voice and where can I find international rates? Thanks.
    09-16-09 04:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD