I've just started using Google Sync on my Blackberry. I've always used desktop manager to sync my work calendar with Outlook, so I've never really had a use for any additional calendars.. that is until recently, where I've created personal workout/exercise calendars on my google calendar that I'd like to also have on my BB.

Anyway, after messing around with sync for a while, I've found some interesting "capabilities" of the blackberry calendar that I didn't know it had. Sorry if this is confusing!

If I initially set up desktop manager and sync to my BB using the default calendar of, say, "desktop_redir", this pulls all of my work events down into one calendar and displays as one color. If I then change my default calendar to my gmail account (Options -> Advanced Options -> Default Services), run google sync, it pulls down all my selected google events into my gmail calendar, effectively giving me two different calendars (with distinct colors) on my phone. What shocked me is this: I assumed I'd have to change my default calendar back to "desktop_redir" anytime I wanted to re-sync with Outlook via Desktop Manager, but it ends up that Desktop Manager is smart enough to remember the calendar it synced up with initially, and will continue to sync to that calendar even though the default calendar has been changed to something else. So now, I have two distinct calendars that automatically sync with their respective sources, and I have the ability to update/delete items in both without worrying about cross contaminating either my Google Calendar or my Outlook calendar with events that shouldn't be there.

This might be common knowledge, but it was new to me, so I thought I'd share.

Now if I could only figure out how to get Google Sync to split different Google Calendars into different calendars within the Blackberry, I'd be a really happy camper.

Anyone have any other tricks to share?
    12-30-09 05:45 PM
    Unless you need Exchange... why not consider dumping Outlook? I was using Outlook with GCal and realized that I really did not need Outlook (even though I thought I could never live without it). Granted I am a casual user and not a business user and have never been on Exchange/BES.

If you are using BIS... why not go totally cloud and enjoy the benefits of wireless syncing and "unchain" yourself from Outlook?
    12-30-09 06:19 PM
    Unless you need Exchange...If you are using BIS... why not go totally cloud and enjoy the benefits of wireless syncing and "unchain" yourself from Outlook?
    Say it loud., Say it Proud!!!!
    12-30-09 10:08 PM
    Unless you need Exchange... why not consider dumping Outlook? I was using Outlook with GCal and realized that I really did not need Outlook (even though I thought I could never live without it). Granted I am a casual user and not a business user and have never been on Exchange/BES.

If you are using BIS... why not go totally cloud and enjoy the benefits of wireless syncing and "unchain" yourself from Outlook?
    I have to use Outlook. My employer uses Outlook for all of their communication/calendar functions, so I have no options otherwise.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-09 11:02 PM
    I've just started using Google Sync on my Blackberry. I've always used desktop manager to sync my work calendar with Outlook, so I've never really had a use for any additional calendars.. that is until recently, where I've created personal workout/exercise calendars on my google calendar that I'd like to also have on my BB.

Anyway, after messing around with sync for a while, I've found some interesting "capabilities" of the blackberry calendar that I didn't know it had. Sorry if this is confusing!

If I initially set up desktop manager and sync to my BB using the default calendar of, say, "desktop_redir", this pulls all of my work events down into one calendar and displays as one color. If I then change my default calendar to my gmail account (Options -> Advanced Options -> Default Services), run google sync, it pulls down all my selected google events into my gmail calendar, effectively giving me two different calendars (with distinct colors) on my phone. What shocked me is this: I assumed I'd have to change my default calendar back to "desktop_redir" anytime I wanted to re-sync with Outlook via Desktop Manager, but it ends up that Desktop Manager is smart enough to remember the calendar it synced up with initially, and will continue to sync to that calendar even though the default calendar has been changed to something else. So now, I have two distinct calendars that automatically sync with their respective sources, and I have the ability to update/delete items in both without worrying about cross contaminating either my Google Calendar or my Outlook calendar with events that shouldn't be there.

This might be common knowledge, but it was new to me, so I thought I'd share.

Now if I could only figure out how to get Google Sync to split different Google Calendars into different calendars within the Blackberry, I'd be a really happy camper.

This isn't working for me. I keep getting cross-contamination. Help!
    01-17-10 10:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD