Ok - GOOGLE SYNC is a beta? yes indeed. It completely hosed my Storm - i've had to do about 15 battery pulls today and my battery is about dead from all the rebooting - so no phone until I get home.

So - google sync basically sort of worked, but hosed the calendar. The calendar took up to a minute to open (come on - 300 appointments over 4 months and it is that slow to open? - that's a BB thing, not a google thing). Then, when I tried to click "today" to jump the calendar back to the current day, it says something like "Organizing Calendar" and pretty much freezes.

I've rebooted more times than I can imagine, because of actual screen freezes, not just sluggishness. And when the screen freezes, I can't access the 'quick pull' app I use - i actually have to take my protective case off, and take the battery out.

so the **** with that - i logged out of google sync - which FORCED it to delete everything off my blackberry calendar. lovely. and of course, it froze. 3 more battery pulls and I could get back in. First thing I did? deleted google sync - which of course requires a reboot.

3 more battery pulls later, google sync is gone, and I can't open BB Calendar program - completely locked up. Clicking the icon on my home screen freezes the whole phone, which requires 3 more battery pulls.

Why at least 3 battery pulls each time? because when it reboots, it says "Media Card Inserted" and freezes on that screen. WTF? they can't even write OS code to recognize a flash memory card without freezing?? That's pretty unimpressive.

In the meantime, no calendar.... but i did get a whole bunch of crap contacts transfered to my blackberry from gmail!!

This phone works great in short spurts. But every 2-3 days it 'has a day' like today (usually unrelated to new software - i've added practically nothing to the phone as it is too unstable as it is), and I want to throw it out my 7th story office window. Good thing the window doesn't open.
    02-10-09 02:35 PM
    That's odd, what firmware are you using?
    02-10-09 04:13 PM
    I HIGHLY suggest backing up contacts and calendar before installing Google Sync, mainly for the reasons you're living through now.

Google Sync works fine for me now on my Storm (the Windows equivalent is skiddish though), but I did end up with a bunch of crap on my Storm after the first sync. I ended just cleaing the calendar on the Storm and letting it sync fresh.
    02-10-09 04:24 PM
    i am using the .85 beta. Thinking of upgrading to one of the newer ones (.90 or .99) tonight - i'm doing some research now. I did backup all my calendar stuff (everything really) before installing the google sync app. In my recent experience - the OS is a beta (even the most recent 'official' release is most definitely a beta), as are most apps being released for the storm. Google sync is offered as a beta. all that means this stuff is just unstable and it's going to be for a while, and back up EVERYTHING before you do ANYTHING.

meanwhile, Verizon is offering the storm for $99 through Amazon for NEW Verizon customers, but years-long loyal customers get.... ZILCH. Not surprising...

DJ
    02-10-09 04:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD