SHORT VERSION:
    Serveral Gmail Contacts were duplicated 20-50 or more times...... across my 9900, Gmail online, and Playbook contacts apparently due to a glitch with Google Sync.

MY FIX:
    1) Change google sync from 'automatic' to 'manual'
    2) I guess wipe contacts/Gmail account off of Playbook (Wifi is off until contacts are wiped/repaired).
    3) I guess wipe Gmail contacts online
    4) Start deleting duplicate entries on 9900 to get 'contacts' back in order
    5) Decide if I want to risk doing this all again or just leave contacts on BB phone as I have for the last couple of years. Right now I'm not very fond of 'sync'.

THE REST OF THE STORY:
    I have never setup any form of "sync" until last week..... I downloaded and installed "google sync" on my 9900 last week. (previously I had just maintained contacts on my BB phone and backed up periodically. I did not sync with anything.

I had my 'contacts' empty on Gmail and used google sync to sync contacts to gmail. All worked fine. (I was going through the procedure to put gmail contacts on my Playbook).

All this to get 'contacts' on my Playbook. All worked fine initially.

Today (for the first time) I notice my 9900 lagging and acting hung up. It took some effort but finally got into Options>>>Device>>>Application Management to look at the CPU. It was running 75-100% full CPU with 'Google Sync' using about 90% of it.

So I go into Gmail......... and find that now I have several (not all... but several) contacts that are duplicated 20-50 or more times.

So I check my Playbook and it appears to be affected in similar fashion since it is syncing with Gmail contacts.

I'm screwed.

I cannot figure out anything that would have caused this other than a glitch in 'Google Sync'.

Any assistance or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!!

(NOTE: Right now I am not a big fan of any form of "sync". I have read on here for a couple of years about various problems people have had with different "sync" options available. I have been happy with all my contacts on my BB phone and simple backups. I thought I would join the 1,000s of satisfied 'sync' happy veterans ....... mainly as a means to get contacts on my Playbook. The way I've been operating for the past couple of years is starting to look pretty smart and efficient.)
    Last edited by duckduke; 03-13-12 at 04:44 PM.
    03-13-12 04:38 PM
    Yeah I dropped google sync a long time ago for exactly that reason. I just sync with microsoft outlook now.
    03-13-12 10:57 PM
    Sorry to hear about your problems with goggle sync. I didn't do anything spectacular, I opened a gmail account on my phone first, downloaded goggle sync on my phone, put my gmail on my PlayBook everything went smoothly. Opened my PlayBook address book and ALL contacts and contact information was there....except my phone's contact avatars (I can live without avatars). No problems.
    03-13-12 11:21 PM
    Sorry to hear about your problems with goggle sync. I didn't do anything spectacular, I opened a gmail account on my phone first, downloaded goggle sync on my phone, put my gmail on my PlayBook everything went smoothly. Opened my PlayBook address book and ALL contacts and contact information was there....except my phone's contact avatars (I can live without avatars). No problems.
    That's exactly what I did.

Then....... about 5-6 days later ........ google sync on my phone was attempting to 'sync'. It apparently got hung up and started making multiple duplicates of contacts.

I had no problem with my 9900, OS7.1 or any apps.... until I noticed my phone hung up with google sync running and overloading my CPU. I then discovered that it had apparently impacted my gmail online and my Playbook.
    03-14-12 07:10 AM
    That's exactly what I did.

Then....... about 5-6 days later ........ google sync on my phone was attempting to 'sync'. It apparently got hung up and started making multiple duplicates of contacts.

I had no problem with my 9900, OS7.1 or any apps.... until I noticed my phone hung up with google sync running and overloading my CPU. I then discovered that it had apparently impacted my gmail online and my Playbook.
    Was your gmail an existing account or a brand new account? I started from scratch, new everything....user ID and password
    03-14-12 07:19 AM
    What I noticed about Google Sync is that when I add events to my calendar on the BlackBerry they always get messed up. When I add events to my Google Calendar using the PlayBook or PC, then sync to the BlackBerry fine.

Don't know why, but I just keep doing it that way.

My contacts sync fine adding on BlackBerry or within my Gmail on the PC.

I also always leave Google Sync on automatic.

I really don't like the BlackBerry calendar. I prefer Google, easier to use and read.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    03-14-12 07:23 AM
    What I noticed about Google Sync is that when I add events to my calendar on the BlackBerry they always get messed up. When I add events to my Google Calendar using the PlayBook or PC, then sync to the BlackBerry fine.

Don't know why, but I just keep doing it that way.

My contacts sync fine adding on BlackBerry or within my Gmail on the PC.

I also always leave Google Sync on automatic.

I really don't like the BlackBerry calendar. I prefer Google, easier to use and read.
    +1 what chrisy said...the same exact way . Did all of your phone contacts avatars sync with the PlayBook address book?
    03-14-12 07:30 AM
    Yup. The avatars are showing on my PlayBook. When I had the Thunderbolt I had avatars for almost all my contacts. However when I came back to BlackBerry those avatars didn't. I was bummed. I'm slowly putting them all back on the BlackBerry.

I really like the PlayBook native calendar. It shows the events on the right side of the screen. Hopefully BB10 calendar will be like that.
    03-14-12 07:36 AM
    Yea Mee too the calendar is real KOOL. I just can't get my avatars to sync no matter what I've tried. I'm currently doing 247 contacts one by one ....pain in the ___
    03-14-12 07:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD