So, I've found a nice feature in the address book on my curve that I can set the contacts birthday and it sets a recurring appt in the BB calendar for each of these (nice for keeping track of family birthdays). Anyway, I'm running into a snag. For one, google sync doesnt seem to update my google calendar with these particular events and if I go into google and create a birthday event, when it sync's with the phone I then get 2 calendar entries for a birthday event that is someone out of my address book.

Am I running into a limitation with how google sync works or should I be going about this a completely different way?
    07-24-08 04:07 PM
    Sounds like it's just a limitation of Google Sync. I love Google Sync...I didn't know about the birthday feature but I'll try it!

I don't think the fact that the birthdays don't sync to my Gcal will bother me...as long as it blinks and blips on my BB I'll be aware of a birthday...it's never far from my busy little thumbs...
    07-24-08 08:13 PM
    Sorry to revisit such an aging thread, but while messing around with Google Sync I may have stumbled across a partial solution to some of this issue.

It appears that Google Sync will only sync calendar items FROM the blackberry that are in the currently selected 'default' calendar set in Options>Advanced Settings>Default Services.

I have both a gmail account that I use for my google calendar online as well as my ATT blackberry email account set up on BIS for my device. I have the default calendar on the device set to the gmail account for normal use.

First, I created a test contact with a birthday and anniversary date set, and forced a google sync. as expected, the dates came up as calendar events on the google calendar online.

Second, I switched the device to the ATT calendar, created another test contact with birthday and anniversary, then immediately switched back to the gmail account as default calendar. Then forced another Google sync. This time, the second test contact showed up in my contact list online, but no calendar items for birthday or anniversary. The birthday and anniversary all day events DID however show up in the BB internal calendar.

While this doesn't appear to have any effect on resolving how google sync handles all-day events, it at least resolves my annoyance at having 00:00-24:00 birthday calendar items on my google calendar. I only really need to have the birthday reminders on the device anyway, so I won't miss them on the online calendar.

I'm not sure if there are other settings that effect how this is behaving...anyone else willing/able to give this a try to see how it works??

Thanks,
    MB
    01-04-09 04:54 PM
    I need some help related to what's been discussed here.

My issue doesn't involve Google Sync.

I recently transferred data from one a Verizon Curve to an unlocked 8310 Curve (I am living overseas now).

The birthday and anniversary fields are missing from my contacts now. They still show up as recurring appointments in my BlackBerry's calendar, but this isn't as helpful. First of all, I can't see the age or number anniversary anymore. Secondly, it makes creating a new one much more of a hassle.

I checked with Outlook, and it's not because those fields don't exist there. They do, but they are not transfering over into my BlackBerry address book.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
    08-19-09 01:26 PM
    Sorry to revive an ancient thread, but this is necessary given that Google Sync app is no longer functioning.

Quick observations:

1. I use the Email Setup function to get my 9700 OS6 to sync with my gmail account contact list and calenders now that Google Sync App does not function.
    2. This method DOES NOT allow you to sync birthday information.
    3. OS6 will recognise birthday entries and it will create a new entry in CALENDER.
    4. So, the Email Setup method involves pushing contacts/calendar information to my Google Account.

CONCLUSION:
    If I buy a new blackberry and sync to the same Gmail account, I will lose all my birthday information, unless I use Desktop Manager to back up my contacts list.
    12-20-12 05:29 AM
    My issues with syncing Google Contacts through BIS are even worse. For example, it messes Middle Name and Last Name up. In Russia we always fill in Middle Name field, but in BlackBerry you have to enter middle name right after first name in the same field. After syncing this middle name goes to Last Name field. Total mess!
    Are there any other solutions for syncing BB with Google? Maybe through CalDAV or any other protocols? Thank you in advance.
    12-20-12 07:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD