I just used Google Sync and all the addresses went into the correct fields. Worked fine for me. I can tell it worked because if the addresses were all in one field then my Garmin Mobile would give me an error when selecting an address from the BlackBerry contact list.

What specifically was butchered when you used Google Sync?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Chrisy, Do you use Google Sync for your contacts and calendar? If so, how well does calendar sync?

Also, have you tried BIS sync instead of Google? Just wondering what your experience has been between the two (BIS vs Google Sync)
    12-28-10 07:57 AM
    I use Google Sync for my contacts only. I used to use it for my calendar as well but I have no need for that now.

It works great for both in my experience. The only issue I had this time was a few duplicate contacts. But that is because I had the same contact on my BlackBerry and on Google, under slightly different names and it didn't combine the two. I got one for each (ie Jess and Jessica both added to my BlackBerry ). But that wasn't hard to correct.

BIS sync I have never used. I didn't have a PC for 10 years. I was gifted one recently but it's slow so I still do almost everything OTA.

12-28-10 08:02 AM
    Where does BIS store the contacts that it syncs? I like being able to edit my contacts with Google Sync or even VZW Backup Assistant.

12-28-10 08:08 AM
    I use Google Sync for my contacts only. I used to use it for my calendar as well but I have no need for that now.

It works great for both in my experience. The only issue I had this time was a few duplicate contacts. But that is because I had the same contact on my BlackBerry and on Google, under slightly different names and it didn't combine the two. I got one for each (ie Jess and Jessica both added to my BlackBerry ). But that wasn't hard to correct.

BIS sync I have never used. I didn't have a PC for 10 years. I was gifted one recently but it's slow so I still do almost everything OTA.

. . . . I guess its time to try Google Sync again. Hope it works for me better this time (I'm pretty anal about my contacts list being "just so" )
    12-28-10 08:09 AM
    I am particular too (I think everyone is). The worst that can happen is you have to spend time fixing your contact list. But like I said I didn't have any major issues. Let us know how you like it!

12-28-10 08:11 AM
    Where does BIS store the contacts that it syncs? I like being able to edit my contacts with Google Sync or even VZW Backup Assistant.

It doesn't actually "store" it in a separate place (..I think....). It just a tool that syncs your current Google account contacts and/or calendar with your BB. Your Google contacts and calendar is your "backup" if you will.

So if you "edit" your contacts on your BB, BIS SHOULD sync it with your Google account. I just never had much luck with it.
    Last edited by shinbone; 12-28-10 at 08:14 AM.
    12-28-10 08:12 AM
    Ok, gotcha. Thanks.

12-28-10 08:14 AM
    Chrisy,

GSync still mashed the addresses into Address1. Everything (Address, city, State, and zip) is in that one line.
    12-28-10 10:48 AM
    I just did a massive overhaul of my contacts in Google Contacts on the PC. I fixed every address, and then synced to my BB. Everything is now how it should be. I think that I had some issues when syncing with a Windows Mobile device, and then back to a BB.
    12-28-10 04:39 PM
    Chrisy,

GSync still mashed the addresses into Address1. Everything (Address, city, State, and zip) is in that one line.
    I had that issue months ago when I used Google Sync. Didn't happen this time. Do you have the latest version of GS? All my contacts were fine.

12-28-10 05:16 PM
    hi everyone

I've just bought myself a Curve 3G (9300) and playing with Google sync.
    I think I've got the contacts sorted, however having a bit of a problem with the calendar.

I've managed to wipe the entire contents of my calendar (before finding out how to make a backup file!), but it's nothing an hour or so of updating won't fix!

I've put in a number of new events on the PC, however when I sync now (forced or automatic), I'm getting multiple entries of the same event

ps. now I'm having a problem with contacts. If I add a new contact on the PC, then sync the BB, I get 3 copies of that new contact on both BB and PC
    Last edited by secretmachines; 12-29-10 at 04:00 PM.
    12-29-10 02:33 PM
    hello all,

recently just purchased my first bb. downloaded the google synch app and like many have run into the problems of the multiple entries.

since this is a new phone and i don't have such a strong attachment to the contact list, thoughts on what my next steps should be in order to rectify? i guess i can do a clean sweep (how do i do that?), but will this affect my bbm contacts?

thanks
    12-31-10 12:05 PM
    What I would do is either clear out all your BlackBerry contacts OR all contacts from your gmail account. Then sync. You'll have no dupes then.

I cleared out all my gmail contacts a while ago, then just used Google Sync to send the BlackBerry contacts to my gmail account.

Make sure your contacts on both the BlackBerry and Google have the exact same listing. I think this is what is causing the duplicates. For example if I have Jess Burkett on my BlackBerry and Jessica Burkett in my gmail contacts, when I sync I then get one of each on my BlackBerry.

12-31-10 01:30 PM
    It won't do anything to your BBM contacts.

12-31-10 01:31 PM
    i *think* i have things sorted now, and i think the problem came after I set up the email via Blackberry.

I already have Google sync set up to sync my contacts and calendar.

Once you have set up you gmail through the BB email setup (options, email account management, your gmail, edit, synchronization options) and uncheck the google calendar and contacts.

So far this seems to work!
    01-01-11 09:25 AM
    I think that people are running into issues because of the Gmail sync, and BIS sync. I am pretty sure that you can only do one or the other. Both will get you duplicate everything.
    01-01-11 10:13 AM
    Google Sync works amazing for me. I sync my contacts and calendars with Google Sync and I access my email with BIS. The GMail app sucks. I just hope GMail with BIS gets a little better. It's almost there but it does need a few tweaks.
    01-01-11 11:04 AM
    Do you need a certain BB OS for Google Sync?
    I have an 8520 running the 4.6 OS
    01-06-11 07:22 PM
    Should be fine. Download it at m.google.com/sync right from your BlackBerry.
    tasdisr likes this.
    01-06-11 09:47 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD