don't think this has been posted yet, but I noticed earlier that Google updated their mobile app to version 3.3.38, and now supports voice commands.

Google Mobile | Google Mobile App for your BlackBerry phone

pretty useful, especially if you're too busy/lazy to type.

Features

Voice Search.New! Speak your queries without even pushing a single button.

Search with My Location.New! Search for business, weather, and movie information without specifying where you are.

Local search suggestions on a map. See nearby business suggestions on Google Maps -- just tap the "near me" suggestions.

Instant access to search. Start a Google search with just one click.

Google Suggest. Get relevant search suggestions as you type, saving you keystrokes.

URL suggestions. Get to popular web sites quickly by tapping site web address suggestions.

Contact search. Quickly find contacts in your address book.

Search history. Get instant access to your previous searches.

Easy access to other Google products. Launch other Google products like Maps, Gmail and News from the Apps tab.
    03-26-09 09:54 PM
    Downloaded it and voice search works great. Gotta keep playing around with this but it looks like I can delete 411 search and tell me apps

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-26-09 10:05 PM
    Cool thanks for the update on the update!
    03-27-09 12:52 AM
    the only thing I don't like is it won't automatically search for mobile sites, you have to select it after you search. there's no option to change it that I can see.
    03-27-09 12:49 PM
    I installed it yesterday and I'm guessing I forgot to turn off location (google maps) cause I left google apps running by accident in the background and man did it ever tank my battery. Took the phone off the charger at 6:30 am and by noon I was down to 55%. I really like the voice search feature. I did notice if the tv was even remotely turned up that it would completely throw off the voice recognition.
    Last edited by BuddaBelly; 03-27-09 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Added info
    03-27-09 04:02 PM
    03-27-09 11:57 PM
    yea how do you get it to have voice commands...do i need to update if so how
    03-28-09 12:13 AM
    yea how do you get it to have voice commands...do i need to update if so how
    Just go to googles mobile addy and download mobile apps. I unistalled the old version before installing the new version.

03-29-09 12:06 PM
    Excellent, going to get it now... Thanks for the head's up ninja
    03-29-09 12:14 PM
    I found it simple to download OTA and install. Works well in US (you need to specify y�ur search area/function etc). Looking forward to trying it overseas.

03-29-09 12:16 PM
    I downloaded the new Google update on my 8330 Curve and when I put my cursor over the search box, it does tell me to push the green phone button to activate the speech search command.

However, when I push the green phone button, it says "Try restarting Google Mobile App". So, I tried a battery pull and that didn't work. I tried re-installing the Google Mobile App also to no avail.

Is there a way to actually restart the Google App? Watever that means, I'm not sure if that would work either, but it's worth a try if it works.

Is anyone else having this problem? Everything else on the app is working fine and I can still do a manual search.

Thanks for your help!
    03-29-09 12:40 PM
    I'm having the exact same problem as mitchberry. Is this a Verizon bug or do we possibly not have the permissions set correctly?
    03-29-09 01:49 PM
    I have all my permissions set to allow. This must be a Verizon bug because others can get it to work.
    03-29-09 02:34 PM
    Same issue here. VZW and 8330 Curve.

03-29-09 02:55 PM
    Same issue here. VZW and 8330 Curve.

Looks like VZW did it again. I'm having the same problem with my 8330. Maybe it has something to do with GPS being disabled? That's the only thing I can think of. :-(

03-29-09 05:35 PM
    This app has crashed my 8900 about 3 or 4 times. It happens when I select the "reader" application. I'm running .168 software.

Anyone else experiencing this?
    03-29-09 09:05 PM
    Working perfect on my 8330 ,I love the GPS search feature
    03-29-09 10:43 PM
    Voice search is so good.
    03-29-09 11:11 PM
    On googles forums there is a known problem with the 8300 series phones and this app. A lot of the people have got it to work by first uninstalling google maps then installing google mobile apps then reinstall maps. I don't think I can post links yet but it is on googles forums with some work arounds while google is fixing the problem.
    03-29-09 11:35 PM
    It isn't just Verizon users having issues with the voice recognition. Google is aware of the problem and supposedly working on it. This is the third thread I have seen on this. Hopefully it will be corrected soon. The voice recognition capability is so nice when driving.

The whole "uninstall Google Maps, reinstall Google mobile, reboot, reinstall maps" doesn't work from what I have read.
    03-30-09 02:21 PM
    Well that sucks for 8300 users. Works great on my 8900. I haven't tried it on my 8320 only because I had heard there was problems.
    03-30-09 02:48 PM
    well, it works fine on my 8310.
    03-30-09 03:35 PM
    Works just fine for me too.
    03-30-09 04:38 PM
    VZW 8330/4.5.0.77 and I have the same problem with the voice search not working. Man, I have the utmost respect for Google but they've been turning out some less than perfect stuff lately (ie the Sync issues)

I hope they figure this out.

03-31-09 09:35 AM
    VZW 8330/4.5.0.77 and I have the same problem with the voice search not working. Man, I have the utmost respect for Google but they've been turning out some less than perfect stuff lately (ie the Sync issues)

I hope they figure this out.

I was running the exact same os version with same issue. Updated my 8330 to latest Sprint released OS and now google voice search works for me.

03-31-09 07:09 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD