Device: Blackberry 8530
    Carrier: Virgin Mobile USA
    Country / Language: USA / English
    Maps version: 4.2

For the last couple of days I have been unable to use �My location� for google search or google maps. For search, it just continually says �Updating location.� For maps, it says �Your current location is temporarily unavailable.� This has worked in the past (less than a week ago), and nothing has changed. This happens regardless of GPS being enable or disabled. I typically have GPS disabled (and it works) to preserve battery life. I have tried re-installing and all permissions appear to be correct.
    07-07-10 02:21 PM
    I stopped at a u.s. cellular place yesterday having the same problem. I do not know the hole story yet but it sounds like there going to make you start paying for a GPS app. This is threw U S CELLULAR i dont know about other carriers yet. Make sure your location is on..
    07-07-10 02:33 PM
    Yeah, location is on. Well, I have actually turned it off now until I figure out what is going on in hopes of conserving battery life. Please let me know if you find anything out. I actually am not even using the GPS and hope they dont force me too. I get way better battery life just using the triangulation method, which is close enough for me
    07-07-10 02:45 PM
    Yeah, location is on. Well, I have actually turned it off now until I figure out what is going on in hopes of conserving battery life. Please let me know if you find anything out. I actually am not even using the GPS and hope they dont force me too. I get way better battery life just using the triangulation method, which is close enough for me
    This is a great idea. I've been pissed that all my apps take forever to pull data from GPS, and/or do not work in doors (which is where I usually use my phone).

I turned off GPS and now everything runs much faster and IN DOORS!!

Any downsides I am missing?
    07-07-10 03:00 PM
    I just tried google maps and its not working. But my blackberry maps is working. It found me with 8 satellites. The lady at u.s. cell said yesterday i have to pay a extra 5 bucks for GPS to work. I do not understand yet about it because i am new with the BB. Someone smarter then me should chime in here and tell us. LOL !
    07-07-10 03:01 PM
    Is it just Google Maps or other GPS based apps (like Poynt, Where, Telenav, etc..) is having similar problems?

It's probably just a temporary problem Google Maps/Google is having.
    07-07-10 05:40 PM
    bbmap and google map pinpoint my location. even faster now that uscc released a software update for the 8530
    07-07-10 07:14 PM
    Still trying to figure out why this isnt working without GPS. Anyone?
    07-09-10 12:24 PM
    For the 8330, search the Forums for 8330 GPS Fix. I had that working for several months on my 8330, down to 3 meters accuracy. When Alltel replaced my damaged one with a 8350, I am no longer able to get a fix other than tower triangulation..
    07-22-10 11:05 AM
    Yes, US Cellular has changed their plans (+$5) and added TeleNav. It works for me (old plan) for now, but that is supposed to change in August. What I have found is the the GPS works fine in Maps and the new program - but my location is WAY off when using GoogleMaps with the GPS now. With GPS off Google Maps is just fine. So, the new program seems to have inserted some type of offset to Google Maps....
    07-22-10 12:59 PM
    now im having all kinds of problems with bbmaps and google maps.
    07-22-10 01:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD