For some reason, Google Maps (4.4.0 and 4.5.1) won't find me via cell tower triangulation, but it finds me via Wifi or GPS. Yes, permissions are set to Allow for everything.

Bing Maps and Blackberry Maps finds me just fine via tower or wifi/gps.

Device: BB 9700, 5.0.71whatever the last T-mobile update is.

I'm a little perplexed as to where to look to find out why - I've tried deleting and reinstalling Google Maps a few times and no joy. I've checked security permissions and everything and not a thing.

Suggestions, Team Crackberry?
    11-13-10 09:03 PM
    I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do. If Google Maps is locating you using your GPS receiver, why would you want to use the much less accurate tower location method?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-13-10 09:31 PM
    I have the same exact problem on my Torch.

GPS doesn't work indoors - that's when we need cell tower triangulation, which used to always work on my old Tour. Also needed for proper functioning of Google Latitude, since Google Maps doesn't seem to use gps when running in the background.

11-14-10 07:59 AM
    BlackBerry Maps would only use GPS. Not sure what's wrong here, but GM has worked both on my old Onyx and my Essex using OS6. I'll check with friends who have Torches. I've looked, and there's no stting to restrict it to cell tower triangulation.
    11-14-10 09:34 AM
    GM for me comes up with an accuracy of 20m with the GPS unavailable. After a minute or so the GPS brings it down to 5m. GN 4.5.1 here on a 337 Torch.

There is no location service over wifi. That is all cell or GPS. It will download the maps over wifi...

11-14-10 09:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD