I'm pretty sure that I'm not using cell towers in West Bengal ... I live in the
    Chicago area. Clearing/resetting the map doesn't do anything. It wasn't doing this last week.

So... any advice?

m
    11-13-09 08:27 AM
    make sure your GPS is turned on for starters. Does it say that i cant find your location?
    11-13-09 08:40 AM
    Are you sure you are not a customer service rep for Dell? (g)

Have you tried removing the battery while the phone is ON? Remove for about 40 seconds and replace it.

I use to live just south of the Evanston city line in north Chicago and bike rode up there quite regularly.
    11-13-09 08:54 AM
    I'm pretty sure that I'm not using cell towers in West Bengal ... I live in the
    Chicago area. Clearing/resetting the map doesn't do anything. It wasn't doing this last week.

So... any advice?

m
    Maybe the Maps got outsourced.
    11-13-09 08:54 AM
    I have an 8320; no GPS.
    11-13-09 08:55 AM
    I have an 8320; no GPS.
    Google tries to guess your location using cell towers, until my GPS locks it tells me my location withing 3000 meters. Using a GPS is the only way it will work correctly.
    11-13-09 09:02 AM
    Good one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you sure you are not a customer service rep for Dell? (g)

Have you tried removing the battery while the phone is ON? Remove for about 40 seconds and replace it.

I use to live just south of the Evanston city line in north Chicago and bike rode up there quite regularly.
    11-13-09 09:11 AM
    Google tries to guess your location using cell towers, until my GPS locks it tells me my location withing 3000 meters. Using a GPS is the only way it will work correctly.
    I'm not sure about that; I think it can triangulate off of cell towers. It used to work, though not with very great accuracy: within about 1/4 mile. And... ok this is weird... I just checked it from my office (about 5 miles from home, so not 10,000 miles away), and it's correct within about 1/4 mile.

?????

m
    11-13-09 10:43 AM
    Welcome back to the US. I hope your passport was in correct order.

Things go bump in the night with computers. They always have and they always will.
    11-13-09 01:50 PM
    Welcome back to the US. I hope your passport was in correct order.

Things go bump in the night with computers. They always have and they always will.
    Bump in the night? Please. I'm back home--five miles from work--and google maps has put me back smack in the middle of Calcutta.

Physical battery pull didn't work.

Any other suggestions?

m
    11-13-09 11:07 PM
    Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Google Maps?
    11-13-09 11:16 PM
    Bump in the night? Please. I'm back home--five miles from work--and google maps has put me back smack in the middle of Calcutta.

Physical battery pull didn't work.

Any other suggestions?

m
    I don't know Tmobile, but there is a number sequence you can dial with verizon to update tower locations periodically. Maybe similar exists for tmobile. Might be a glitch in which tower it grabs for triangulation.

When you were in India the first time, was it also from home or elsewhere?
    11-13-09 11:28 PM
    Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Google Maps?
    Just tried that--again--and sadly I'm still in the middle of Calcutta.

Starting to seem like a really bad joke.

Now what????

m
    11-13-09 11:39 PM
    Bluetooth GPS receiver.
    11-13-09 11:51 PM
    I don't know Tmobile, but there is a number sequence you can dial with verizon to update tower locations periodically. Maybe similar exists for tmobile. Might be a glitch in which tower it grabs for triangulation.

When you were in India the first time, was it also from home or elsewhere?
    I was transported to India at home; then checked again in my office and returned to Chicago; now at home again in India. Certainly a lot faster than flying.

It was actually working last week, and I haven't made any software changes. Do I need to just delete it and give up on the software???

m
    11-14-09 12:02 AM
    Just a guess, but do you live near anything that could be a major source of interference? I know you said it worked last week, but something may have changed since then. A large transformer or substation could have come online to service a new business, etc. Near where I live a new radio station just fired up. Probably way over 100,000 watts. I'm not sure if it's supposed to interfere, but it does. The tower is 1000 ft tall. None of this should really affect triangulation, but large magnetic fields will screw with a compass. Since your bearings are way off at home, it's just a thought.

Bryan
    11-14-09 07:25 AM
    And there i thought it was cheating me for being a few blocks out..........
    11-14-09 07:33 AM
    So here's an update to this. I tried fiddling around with my bb, and discovered that with the wifi OFF it locates me correctly at home, and with it ON in India. At work it is correct either way. I'm mystified, but at least now I know there is some way it can work.

If anyone has an explanation, I would be gratified.

m
    11-19-09 09:10 AM
    The obvious place to check is the GPS coordinates received with WiFi on and Off.

Options/ Advanced/ GPS/ <menu key> Update GPS and wait for a new position.

Toggle WiFi status and Repeat. The positions should be near enough identical (and valid). A big change in Lat/Long would suggest WiFi is interfering with the GPS. Good position and bad mapping would suggest a problem sending the data by different routes to request the map, or a glitch at Google's servers.
    11-19-09 09:25 AM
    The obvious place to check is the GPS coordinates received with WiFi on and Off.

Options/ Advanced/ GPS/ <menu key> Update GPS and wait for a new position.

Toggle WiFi status and Repeat. The positions should be near enough identical (and valid). A big change in Lat/Long would suggest WiFi is interfering with the GPS. Good position and bad mapping would suggest a problem sending the data by different routes to request the map, or a glitch at Google's servers.
    I'm using an 8320, so there is no GPS; I believe it triangulates from cell towers. It was working correctly until about three weeks ago.

m
    11-19-09 09:53 AM
    I think it is related to the service being down on Verizon/RIM a few days ago. My GPS said I was in Rancho Cordova or something like that but it displayed my location exactly at home. I checked a friend of mine on Lattitude and it said she was in Paris France when she was in CA.
    11-19-09 10:13 AM
    I think it is related to the service being down on Verizon/RIM a few days ago. My GPS said I was in Rancho Cordova or something like that but it displayed my location exactly at home. I checked a friend of mine on Lattitude and it said she was in Paris France when she was in CA.
    I don't think that is the cause; the problem predates the general service issue. Here I am at my office, less than five miles from home, same DSL provider which comes from the same local substation and I'm not in the middle of Calcutta...
    M

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-09 10:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD