I'm running Google Maps 4.4.0 on my Bold 9700.
    Whenever I start the app it seems to knock out the connection to the blackberry server (the blackberry symbol disappears) and thus all my data services, so it can't search for locations or download the map for your current position when it (finally) locates you.
    The only way to get it back by is by switching the the mobile network connection off and then on. Even then, when you perform a location search on GMaps, it knocks it out again. This happens regardless of mobile network signal strength.
    I have a data plan with Blackberry on 3UK so know its not a service restriction.
    Can anyone help as Blackberry maps are nowhere near as good i'm afraid.
    10-19-10 06:39 AM
    Google maps works fine for me on telus mobility.

Have you tried a battery pull and see if that did anything to help?

Have you updated the OS on your blackberry to the latest offered by your carrier?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-19-10 09:02 AM
    Hope you get it figured out. Other map programs suck.

Though, it's a different problem, I am too having issues with using the app. I used it perfectly fine before on my Curve and when I got my new phone yesterday, I immediately downloaded it. That went fine. It was when 4.4.0 was loading up the trouble began. The status bar went to a certain point and then a window popped up saying:
    "Network Unavailable:This application requires a data connection,
    and some BlackBerry devices require reconfiguration to work properly.
    Please visit Google Maps on your computer for more info."

I tried checking the device GPS settings. They were all either all "On","Enabled", or "Custom". There's no coordinates,though. I tried refreshing it, it just says "Searching for satellites. " and then nothing else.

While it isn't a traditional BB Data plan, I am on legitimately grandfathered-in T-Zones that I've had since I switched to a monthly T-Mobile plan in 2007 and have never had problems before with downloads & apps, minus some pre-installed ones. Just figured I'd see if it'd help,though.
    Last edited by MissFormaldehyde; 10-19-10 at 11:11 PM.
    10-19-10 11:01 PM
    Though, it's a different problem, I am too having issues with using the app. I used it perfectly fine before on my Curve and when I got my new phone yesterday, I immediately downloaded it. That went fine. It was when 4.4.0 was loading up the trouble began. The status bar went to a certain point and then a window popped up saying:
    "Network Unavailable:This application requires a data connection,
    and some BlackBerry devices require reconfiguration to work properly.
    Please visit Google Maps on your computer for more info."

I tried checking the device GPS settings. They were all either all "On" or "Custom". There's no coordinates,though. I tried refreshing it, it just says "Searching for satellites. " and then nothing else.

While it isn't a traditional BB Data plan, I am on legitimately grandfathered-in T-Zones that I've had since I switched to a monthly T-Mobile plan in 2007 and have never had problems before with downloads & apps, minus some pre-installed ones. Just figured I'd see if it'd help,though.
    Well, for it to work correctly, you need a blackberry-specific data plan.

10-19-10 11:04 PM
    Well, for it to work correctly, you need a blackberry-specific data plan.

But how come it worked on my other phone? It was an 8900.
    Last edited by MissFormaldehyde; 10-19-10 at 11:19 PM.
    10-19-10 11:12 PM
    I'm running Google Maps 4.4.0 on my Bold 9700.
    Whenever I start the app it seems to knock out the connection to the blackberry server (the blackberry symbol disappears) and thus all my data services, so it can't search for locations or download the map for your current position when it (finally) locates you.
    The only way to get it back by is by switching the the mobile network connection off and then on. Even then, when you perform a location search on GMaps, it knocks it out again. This happens regardless of mobile network signal strength.
    I have a data plan with Blackberry on 3UK so know its not a service restriction.
    Can anyone help as Blackberry maps are nowhere near as good i'm afraid.
    That's very strange
    I've used google maps on every OS load for the 9700, and never lost connection to BIS.
    Have you made sure that all permissions are set to allow?
    Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling it?
    Did you move the app from a previous Berry instead of installing it fresh?

10-19-10 11:13 PM
    No its a fresh install on the latest OS. All permissions are ok. Tried re-installing it. All the usual.
    Wondering if its a hardware problem somehow if no-one else is having this issue.
    10-20-10 04:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD