It thought I was on the local highway when I was on side streets, and each time it refreshed, it would jump around the map instead of just moving down the street. Any ideas what would cause this?
    07-18-09 08:15 AM
    It thought I was on the local highway when I was on side streets, and each time it refreshed, it would jump around the map instead of just moving down the street. Any ideas what would cause this?
    mine works perfect.

is your GPS setting in the options set to LOCATION ON or just 911 ?
    07-18-09 08:31 AM
    It could be that your phone can't get a clear gps signal and is using cell towers for location. This will throw off the accuracy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-09 08:54 AM
    Ya need to set gps to location

07-18-09 01:04 PM
    Mine works great, it did give me wrong directions the other day, but my location was correct, it just told me it would be on the left, and it was on the right...
    07-18-09 01:06 PM
    mine works perfect.

is your GPS setting in the options set to LOCATION ON or just 911 ?
    this fixed it. Works great now, thanks. I guess it was using the cell towers before I had it turned on which makes sense if it had no GPS
    07-18-09 02:00 PM
    It's not the device, it's Google Maps. Mine shows my location within 1000 meters or something like that and will never lock onto my actual location.
    07-18-09 02:12 PM
    Aahh, yeah the cell tower triangulation is usually FAR off, in fact, not even worth using.

Glad you got this going.
    07-18-09 02:14 PM
    It's not the device, it's Google Maps. Mine shows my location within 1000 meters or something like that and will never lock onto my actual location.
    yea it is just doing that because the phone comes with GPS defaulted to 911 only, you have to enable it, then it will display your location within 10 meters. Before I turned it on it was doing it within 1600 meters which is probably the range of the cell towers. I just went outside and walked down a few streets w/ google maps to test it out and it worked perfectly
    Last edited by davegrun; 07-18-09 at 02:18 PM.
    07-18-09 02:15 PM
    Is Google Maps the best GPS app or is there anything better? Like something that shows you the map display and turn by turn directions at the same time, like a garmin gps?
    07-18-09 02:16 PM
    Tcheck, not sure you got an answer but with a keyboard hit 0 to jump to my location. Works on Bold and Curve 8310

07-18-09 02:21 PM
    yea it is just doing that because the phone comes with GPS defaulted to 911 only, you have to enable it, then it will display your location within 10 meters. Before I turned it on it was doing it within 1600 meters which is probably the range of the cell towers. I just went outside and walked down a few streets w/ google maps to test it out and it worked perfectly

Nope, thats not the issue here and for many others. I do have GPS enabled too, BTW.

If I use Blackberry Maps it will lock right onto my location.

It's a Google problem and I've read that they are supposedly working on a fix.
    07-18-09 02:23 PM
    Nope, thats not the issue here and for many others. I do have GPS enabled too, BTW.

If I use Blackberry Maps it will lock right onto my location.

It's a Google problem and I've read that they are supposedly working on a fix.
    That's weird. Google maps has flawlessly pinpointed me within 3 or 4 meters since I got my BB.
    07-19-09 04:06 AM

Would someone be kind enough to "spoon-feed" this setting to me? I have not been able to find any option to switch between 911 and GPS. I have tried setup wizzard and options. I have a BB Curve 8330 from Sprint.

Thanks
    07-29-09 07:55 PM
    Would someone be kind enough to "spoon-feed" this setting to me? I have not been able to find any option to switch between 911 and GPS. I have tried setup wizzard and options. I have a BB Curve 8330 from Sprint.

Thanks
    Open up the tunnel, here comes the choo-choo...

Go to Options, Advanced Options, GPS.

There's a setting for GPS Services, options are Location On or 911 Only.

BTW, you will only get GPS info on your Curve in BBMaps, not in Google Maps...
    07-29-09 08:14 PM
    BTW, you will only get GPS info on your Curve in BBMaps, not in Google Maps...
    Am I not understanding you? Google maps does fine with GPS on my wife's 8310.

Google maps is accurate enough to show which parking space I'm in when I switch to satelite view and zoom in. As long as I'm moving it's accurat between 3 and 4 meters.

07-30-09 01:17 AM
    I was assuming that the Sprint 8330 is like the VZW 8330 where the GPS is locked for 3rd party apps. The 8310 GPS works great. That's the one thing I miss from ATT.
    07-30-09 01:24 AM
    I had the same issue, was playing around until I chose the option Locate.
    07-30-09 02:30 AM
    I use bbmaps. Then Start GPS navigation. Then I open
    up google maps and its spot on accurate

07-30-09 02:39 AM
    Options>Advanced options>GPS>GPS Services>Location ON.
    07-30-09 01:04 PM
    does leaving it set to "location on" vs. "911 only" kill battery life? I actually leave mine set to 911 unless I need to use GPS, then I change it to Location On. But obviously is this is pointless in regards to battery life then I have no reason to keep doing it.
    07-30-09 01:18 PM
    Google maps doesn't work reliably for me and it's a memory leaker so I uninstalled it (well, might have been Latitude that was the memory leak but that's neither here nor there really).

I have my GPS set to location on (just checked) but our BBmaps are blocked from ATT is my understanding. Butts.
    Would be nice to be able to use it.
    07-30-09 01:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD