I swithced to the Droid after having a Blackberry for a long time and have had enough. Im going back to the Tour. But I love the Google Maps app on the Droid and the navigation. I have seen some threads and sites that say it will not work and some say it will. Will Google Maps work on the Tour for Verizon?
    06-21-10 09:03 AM
    It works on Sprint - no reason why it won't work on VZW - m.google.com, select maps
    06-21-10 09:13 AM
    Some VZW phones have gps disabled for 3rd party applications. That is of course, you pay for the VZW Navigator... I have also heard that some Tours/Storms have the gps enabled, and google maps will work. Just try and see...
    06-21-10 09:26 AM
    The Google Maps application works on the Tour 9630/Bold 9650, as does the GPS (Verizon recently saw the error in their ways, and started enabling 3rd-party app access to GPS on their more recent phones). However, you won't get GPS-style spoken turn-by-turn navigation on the BlackBerry app - Google uses that as a selling point for Android.
    06-21-10 09:33 AM
    Dang I really like that. I just dont want to pay for the VZW navigator. I guess I will keep printing them off the internet.
    06-21-10 10:38 AM
    I loved google maps on my storm 2 but after I updated it seem to not be functioning properly. But the GPS feature did work.
    06-21-10 11:10 AM
    Dang I really like that. I just dont want to pay for the VZW navigator. I guess I will keep printing them off the internet.
    You can still get directions. No need to print stuff out. But you just don't get, as stated, the VOICE turn notifications. It's not a Verizon issue. It's just a feature Google did not include. It's not like you're going to get VOICE turn by turn on your printed maps either.
    06-21-10 11:17 AM
    Google Maps works just fine on the Tour 9630.
    06-21-10 11:35 AM
    Google Maps works great with the tour. GPS's are actually gps's on the newer devices, the 8330 curve is a chip that requires the vz nav to operate.
    06-21-10 06:12 PM
    I loved google maps on my storm 2 but after I updated it seem to not be functioning properly. But the GPS feature did work.
    my didn't work and i was so frustrated. reinstall the app with your browser configuration set to blackberry instead of explorer or firefox. works perfectly for me now!

~luck~
    06-30-10 05:04 AM
    Google Maps works great with the tour. GPS's are actually gps's on the newer devices, the 8330 curve is a chip that requires the vz nav to operate.
    The GPS works fine on my three BB 8330s VZW. They worked with OS 4.5 and they still work with OS 5.0. It seems that even Google Maps work with 5.0, but did not with 4.5. You have to enable the GPS through the Options menu, that's it.
    With 4.5, the GPS would not turn back on if you started navigation then closed the maps applet without first turning off navigation. Sometimes I had to reboot the phone to get the GPS back running. If you turn off navigation before closing the applet, it all works. I have not tried that with 5.0 yet.
    06-30-10 08:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD