Here is a way to have a title appear as the favorite instead of the address in Google Maps 4.4:

1) Select "Search Map"
    2) Enter the address and put "(NAME)" with no quotes after the address in the search bar
    3) Hit enter when it finds the address and select the star in the top right to save it to your favorites
    4) Under your Starred Items / favorites, "NAME" will appear in bold with the address underneath.

I have not verified that this works in previous versions of Google Maps.
    08-04-10 03:48 PM
    Thank you for the tip... very helpful indeed!
    08-04-10 05:59 PM
    This is great to know, as I have been remiss to upgrade my version 3 Google Maps to version 4-whatever solely for this reason.

At the same time, while it's great to see this workaround, two things (a) I don't see this working if you are trying to save your current detected "My Location" as a favorite (which I do quite often actually) and (b) besides that, why wouldn't renaming favorites be a standard feature to start with? To me it is absolutely stunning--I don't think that's too strong of a word--that you can't straight-up rename favorites. Waiting until you get home & doing it on your PC makes no sense--previous versions let you rename in the phone, so should version 4-whatever. Period.
    08-04-10 10:36 PM
    How do you RENAME the item? I have a STARRED item but don't see any place to edit it.
    08-04-10 10:59 PM
    How do you RENAME the item? I have a STARRED item but don't see any place to edit it.
    As far as I know, the only place to edit it right now is by going to google bookmarks. www dot google dot come slash bookmarks

Can't add links lol. Newb
    08-07-10 04:12 PM
    You can "rename" it by searching it again with (NAME) at the end of the search. I know it's ridiculous that we can't edit it after saving, but at least its something....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-10 04:40 PM
    As far as I know, the only place to edit it right now is by going to google bookmarks. www dot google dot come slash bookmarks

Can't add links lol. Newb
    I see the option to edit bookmarks, but its not getting reflected back in Google maps though. Any pointers?
    08-09-10 02:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD