I've just started using Google+ and I have heard some mixed messages about if whether or not Google will be creating a Blackberry application for the new social network. There is currently one for Android and iPhone.

If anyone knows if an Blackberry Google+ app will be available in the near future or if you know of one that is available now please share.

- Rich -
    07-01-11 08:54 AM
    My guess is unlikely, developing for BlackBerry is a PitA, and google really wants to give the best stuff to Android right now.
    Disclaimer: unqualified opinion (except for the BlackBerry development being a PitA part).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-03-11 02:31 AM
    I would optimistically hope that Google+ will get a BB client at some point. Plenty of BB owners would use Plus if given a mobile client.
    07-03-11 12:28 PM
    I would think developing for their own OS would be pita also with the same fragmentation they have but I guess it's theirs.
    07-03-11 01:04 PM
    Nah, the Android fragmentation has nothing to do with development.
    But even if it did, like you said it's their OS.
    Eventually probably, but soon, I feel the same as in my last post.
    I don't even have an invite yet.

07-03-11 01:11 PM
    N4BB has reported that there will be no Google+ BlackBerry app, but there will be a "web app" at m.google.com/plus for OS 6.0+ devices.

Google Launches Google+ with BlackBerry Web App Support; We�re Giving Away Invites! � N4BB � News for BlackBerry � leaks, rumors, videos, faqs, reviews

My personal gut feeling is that between this and the recent Google Search website update, we've seen the writing on the wall that Google is not going to do any more dedicated apps for BlackBerry, but will only give us some optimized websites that work in the Webkit browser.
    msevinsky and Jo5329 like this.
    07-03-11 01:22 PM
    A shame, and a bit shortsighted for Google to do that... but then again, it may be good business.

The Android app is fairly functional. I would be nice to be able to have the same on BB, but maybe the mobile portal will make that moot.
    07-03-11 05:06 PM
    Can't RIM just make one like they did for FaceBook and Google Talk?

07-03-11 06:42 PM
    Can't RIM just make one like they did for FaceBook and Google Talk?

I think it makes sense for RIM to do so, I think it makes sense for Google to provide access to their api and to encourage developers to create a mobile apps for Google+.

This is an area that i think Facebook and Twitter have succeed, if Google only concentrate on developing an android app then they are likely to miss out on a lot of market share.

- Rich -
    07-04-11 09:11 AM
    Yeah, I think that if/when G+ takes off, RIM will develop an app for it. Would make sense.

BTW - Anyone have a G+ invite?
    07-04-11 02:57 PM
    Invites have stopped at the moment unfortunately, but msg me your gmail addy and I will add it to one of my circles so that an invite is sent out once they are allowed again.
    07-05-11 03:39 AM
    Well, got on G+ today. Confusing, but I'll get the hang of it. It's OBVIOUSLY still real BETA right now. A lot of errors, mixed messages in Stream, web pages crashing, etc.

Still bummed it looks like there will not be a BB app. Holding out hope that RIM will develop something, but probably for OS6 and up. Can't upgrade (discounted, anyway) my phone until Jan. If it appears that BB is dying, I'll probably jump ship to Android. Really don't want to do that, because I love just about everything on my BB, but it just looks like a bleak future...
    07-07-11 07:13 PM
    Nah, the Android fragmentation has nothing to do with development.
    But even if it did, like you said it's their OS.
    Eventually probably, but soon, I feel the same as in my last post.
    I don't even have an invite yet.

Android fragmentation is itself a PitA, but that's beside the point- If you'd like an invite to Google+, you'll need a Gmail address, since invites can only currently be sent to these- I can hook you up if you PM me your Gmail address... (if you don't have one then spend 2 minutes setting one up already!)
    I was just passing and saw your post... and created a Crackberry account so I could share some Google+ love...
    07-13-11 09:19 PM
    Lol, I have 4 gmail addresses - my main one, my google apps one, my school email (google apps as well) and my app developing email
    I got an invite - thanks very much for the offer though, and welcome to CrackBerry!

07-13-11 09:21 PM
    The web view for the BB is a bit parp.

I hope they do RIM up G+ to be honest.
    07-14-11 04:58 AM
    It would be stupid for RIM not to do a google+ app, and it would be stupid for googl not to help getting it sorted, especially if they want to compete with Facebook. The webpage is absolute pants, and doesn't offer anything to the end user. It's so dire that it just puts you off using it.
    Come on google/RIM work together and sort it out.
    07-14-11 07:10 AM
    Android fragmentation is itself a PitA, but that's beside the point- If you'd like an invite to Google+, you'll need a Gmail address, since invites can only currently be sent to these- I can hook you up if you PM me your Gmail address... (if you don't have one then spend 2 minutes setting one up already!)
    I was just passing and saw your post... and created a Crackberry account so I could share some Google+ love...

Invites can be sent to a non gmail address. I'm not sure if you have to have a gmail address to actually set it up though.
    07-14-11 12:54 PM
    Lame! Originally i'd heard that the google+ app would only be available for OS6, i was bummed because my bold9700 runs OS 5. but then lo and behold, last night OS6 became available, my 9700 is now running OS6.

so, went to find the app, found it doesn't exist, and there are no plans to create one. worse yet, i can no longer visit plus.google.com at all from my blackberry, nor m.google.com/plus both addresses just say "unable to find the requested server" (even though i can browse them from the desktop just fine.

RIM, create an app please! even when it worked the 'web app' was lame.
    08-15-11 12:50 PM
    The web page is all Google said they would make, and it only works on OS6 and above (webkit).
    It's working for me (just tested it). And yeah, it's not very fully featured, but at this point neither is the android app (or google+ itself for that matter).

08-15-11 01:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD