Been fighting my blackberry for a couple of hours now.

It seems, to my surprise, my carrier updated BIS and now we have the ability to do a 2 way sync on google accounts.

Problem is, everytime it doesm it seems to duplicate almost all contacts on BOTH sides!

I got a leaked OS installed and the option to sync contacts was not there yesterday (neither BB nor carrier) so I wonder where the problems is.

Anybody else having such issues?
    11-25-09 01:54 PM
    To my knowledge 2-way email sync w/gmail is not available on any carrier. Contact sync is available in BIS for those running OS 5
    11-25-09 02:31 PM
    The way I did it I let Google sync combine my BlackBerry's contacts with Google's and from there I edited them on the computer through GMail's contacts section. Some contacts were duplicated because they had different spellings, but you can merge them with GMail. Once everything on the computer is to your liking, invoke the sync on the phone and bam... sync!
    11-25-09 04:19 PM
    Ah, so it was the OS update after all... But why did it only happen today? I had it for a week...

I tried that, setting contacts up on Gmail, merging dupes and then getting the Blackberry to find it but it would only create more copies (sometimes up to 4 copies of the same contact). Could it be a bug on this leaked OS?

Anyway, all this fuss made me lose some contacts and I therefore forsake this feature! Back to the usual Google Sync App which I am pretty happy with.
    11-25-09 07:38 PM
    What you ** do now, is clean up your GMail contacts, after you have done that, remove your contacts on your phone, remove the gmail email from BIS, and re-add the gmail email and allow the contact sync to work with a fresh install once you have validated your gmail account to BIS. Google Sync app, if you have it installed, should have the contact sync option turned off, and also in your address book, have Duplicates turned off so there it doesn't happen again.
    11-25-09 07:56 PM
    I did all that before your post and it still made duplicates (and some triplicates) or my contacts. I think it's an issue with the leaked OS I have here. Or a plain simple bug one either RIM, Google or OS.

I got it sorted anyway, back to using Google Syng and turned contact sync off on BIS.
    11-25-09 10:34 PM
    No, its your gmail contacts that you have to fix. Merging them together, or deleting items. It works, I've done it without any problems, and I'm running OS 5.314 beta. Fix your contacts on the desktop, not your phone, and repeat the process I stated in my OP.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-25-09 10:44 PM
    Friend, pay a bit more attention to my posts. I tried it and it still made dupes. Even tried deleting all contacts and loading a backup cvs.

Could have worked for you, but I am not willing to give it another try and have to go for this fuss again. Good it works for you thou.
    11-26-09 07:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD