I downloaded the GMail mobile application for my Blackberry Curve 8330. It's a great program, but it seems to have one oversight. When I try to forward an Email I'm unable to insert an Email address from my contacts list. I tried using the menu key, but there's no option for this. I have to manually type the entire Email address I want to forward the message to. It's a pain. Anyone else having the same issue?
    09-23-08 08:44 AM
    In the Gmail app when you start typing the first letter of the name the contacts with that letter will pop up and then select the name you want.
    i forward many emails all the time and never had a problem as long as the contact is listed under your contact list.
    09-23-08 09:07 AM
    It seems to only work for emails I have typed in the To: box. Kind of like a history of emails. I'm unable to use this feature for all of my contacts. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-23-08 09:21 AM
    I believe if you lof into the gmail from your pc there is an option to turn off
    the most used contacts and then you will be able to get all your contacts. I may be wrong though. I was playing around in the gmail settings last nite and I think i noticed something like that.
    09-23-08 09:46 AM
    I could not find the settings.

09-23-08 01:50 PM
    I could not find the settings.

I didnt find any settings in the phone client or web client that turn contacts on/off. Maybe the application is faulty on your phone? Have you tried uninstalling then re-installing?

When composing a new email, can you add contacts or do you have to do it manually?

Regards
    09-24-08 07:52 AM
    The only way I'm able to Email someone in my contacts list is to go directy to that contact & select Email... Then that person's Email address appears in the To: box. If I select Compose Mail from the shortcut menu or try to forward an Email, I have no way of selecting someone from my contacts list. I have to mainually input the entire Email address. After I've entered the address once, the program keeps it in it's history setting, so it appears the next time I try to Email that person.
    09-24-08 11:12 AM
    Did some research on Google Groups. Found that others are having the same issue. They claim they didn't have this problem with previous versions of the GMail Mobile app. Seems to be a problem with the new 2.05 version
    09-24-08 04:37 PM
    I have also read other postings concerning the Gmail App.... and I have a few issues with the App. I love the App...but it has some big issues that need corrected ASAP!

1. Composing email and selecting a contact. The main list that is used to select from is the "Most Contacted" names --- and this list is far from accurate. It's rediculous. Google should just delete this useless list. The Gmail app should reference either your BB address book or the Main Contacts list from the Gmail website, nothing else. Maybe even let the user select which address book to use in the settings. I have a big problem with finding the name/address with all new email receipients. This is a simple fix IMO.

2. Sync delay between server and app (using IMAP). Waiting 20 or 30 min's to receive an email notification is just wrong! Emails should be 2-way in live time. Fix this. BIS is instant and a true 2-way sncy.

3. True HTML viewing on the Gmail app.

Help is needed....and I hope Gmail mobile and fix these problems soon.
    Thanks3
    02-13-09 03:59 PM
    I have also read other postings concerning the Gmail App.... and I have
    a few issues with the App. I love the App...but it has some big issues
    that need corrected ASAP!

1. Composing email and selecting a contact. I believe that the main list that is used to select from within the gmail app is the "Most Contacted" names --- and this list is far from accurate. It's rediculous and there are names within that group I haven't emailed in a year. Google should just delete this
    useless list. The Gmail app should reference either your BB address
    book (which is already synced by google sync to my BB) or the Main Contacts list from the Gmail website, nothing else. PLEASE CHANGE THIS ASAP! Maybe even let the user select which address book to use in the
    settings. This is a simple fix IMO.

2. Sync delay between server and app (using IMAP). Waiting 20 or 30
    min's (and sometimes longer) to receive an email notification is just wrong! Emails should be instantaneous (like other web based mail). Why is gmail app setup for such a long delay?

3. I read this in other forums....but the gmail app should support HTML viewing. Links work...but embedded graphics do not.

Thanks Google Team..... please work with RIM and fix these issues.
    2-way in live time. Fix this. BIS is instant and a true 2-way sncy.
    02-13-09 08:22 PM
    This is probably one of the more irritating issues, but if you have your bb address book mirroring your gmail address book, I have found that the quickest way to do this is copying from the bb directly.

You can copy an email address from your bb address book and insert it into the "to" field when forwarding an email with the gmail mobile app. Just go to your address book, open the contact, highlight the address and select copy. Return to gmail, highlight the field and select paste.
    02-14-09 06:50 PM
    Thanks for the reply....but your advice doesn't solve the root of the problem. Why wouldn't Google Mail (Gmail) app allow you to use the BB address book or your main contacts within Gmail? Google provides a sync app now....but using Gmail app doesn't allow me to use that address book. I want to be able to select which address book to use (NOT THE MOST CONTACTED...this list is not even close to correct). Ideally.... when I start typing a name in the "to" block.... it auto recognizes my BB addrsses and auto fills. This doesn't seem like rocket science to me.... Is there anyway to change this or is it hard-coded within the gmail app?
    While I'm on a roll....why does it take soo long for gmail app to sync or push new emails? It should be instant like yahoo mail. I'm ready to cancel my gmail account and switch for the added convenience. Is there anyway to have Google Mail or Gmail App engineers know how much of a pain in the **** these issues are and to fix them? Thanks
    02-14-09 11:27 PM
    Thanks for the reply....but your advice doesn't solve the root of the problem. Why wouldn't Google Mail (Gmail) app allow you to use the BB address book or your main contacts within Gmail? Google provides a sync app now....but using Gmail app doesn't allow me to use that address book. I want to be able to select which address book to use (NOT THE MOST CONTACTED...this list is not even close to correct). Ideally.... when I start typing a name in the "to" block.... it auto recognizes my BB addrsses and auto fills. This doesn't seem like rocket science to me.... Is there anyway to change this or is it hard-coded within the gmail app?
    While I'm on a roll....why does it take soo long for gmail app to sync or push new emails? It should be instant like yahoo mail. I'm ready to cancel my gmail account and switch for the added convenience. Is there anyway to have Google Mail or Gmail App engineers know how much of a pain in the **** these issues are and to fix them? Thanks
    Nope, it doesn't solve the root of the problem, but it's a workaround.
    I'm guessing that the main reason the gmail app doesn't load your entire contact list is because it's a performance issue; since it needs to load your whole list of contacts in order to enable search-as-you-type and for whatever reason which eludes me, it doesn't cache this, it actually takes it a while to load your list especially if you have a lot of contacts.

Why it doesn't load the list directly from your BB? beats me. But afaik there's no way to have it do this.

I'd love to send you the link to their feedback forum, but I can't post links yet - but you can google it
    02-15-09 07:47 AM
    I am having the same issue and it is really annoying - I will probably go back to just using the blackberry system and IMAP.

This does seem like a basic functionality problem that should have been fixed. Does anyone know if google have acknowledged the problem and intend to fix it?
    09-09-09 07:49 PM
    You've overlooked that your settings are wrong! 1. Open your gmail-app. 2. You should now be in your inbox, click on your BB FULL menu key and scroll to contacts and click. 3. Open your BB FULL menu key again and scroll to All Contacts instead of Most contacted and make sure to check this option.

App will revert back to most contacted once you've closed the app so this needs to be done all the time. Hope this helps.
    04-20-11 12:10 AM
    I'll tell you right now...there still has been no resolution to this issue. I have a BB Bold 9780 and using the Gmail App. It still accesses the Most Contacted for auto-completing the To: field when composing an email...actually, it doesn't even do that consistently.

Why can't they just make the App access the BB contact book. After all, the Google Sync app works fine in updating the BB contact book with my gmail addresses.

Very frustrating oversight.
    07-09-11 06:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD