I am setting up my e-mail on a new Bold 9700.

What are the pros and cons (and any major differences) of accessing my GMail account from either a separate GMail app, or having my GMail come directly into my BB inbox?

Thanks for the help.
    04-06-10 11:17 AM
    I just link my gmail account. Too many issues that I have read here at CB with the gmail app. I have no issues - but I also don't sync google calendar, etc.
    04-06-10 11:30 AM
    The major difference is if you only access your Gmail thru a seperate Gmail app, you don't get the instant delivery of your e-mails to your BB. When you setup your Gmail thru BIS, you get instant delivery of all new e-mails.

I don't have much experience with the Gmail app for BlackBerry, but it's my understanding that you can set it to check for messages every 15 minutes, etc, then you can go to the app to check them. I see a couple of issues with this, one, that you're phone will be transmitting data every 15 minutes to check to see if you have new e-mail, which will reduce your battery life, and you'll also have to keep the Gmail app running in the background, also using battery life and memory. The benefits of course are full access to all of your folders, and all of the Gmail options available.
    If any of this that I've listed is incorrect, someone please correct me, as I said, I've never used the Gmail app...

I've always recieved my Gmail thru the BIS, IMO it's the only way to go.
    04-06-10 11:44 AM
    I also use gmail through BIS. No problems at all. Very smooth and easy to use. I've also never used the gmail app, I don't see the point.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-06-10 12:54 PM
    So, in short, the only thing the GMail app gives that BIS doesn't is access to subfolders?
    04-06-10 01:01 PM
    I have the GMAIL App and have had it for like 2 or 3 yrs and always worked fine for me never had problems with it. I like it way better then just having the GMAIL Inbox on my BB
    04-06-10 01:02 PM
    So, in short, the only thing the GMail app gives that BIS doesn't is access to subfolders?
    That's my understanding of it yes. Gmail thru BIS even gives you the ability to add or remove labels, and use them on the e-mails themselves. I don't see the point of downloading the Gmail app unless you use the folders, and even then, you could download the app just for that feature, and keep your Gmail setup thru BIS so you get the instant delivery and features.
    Not sure if you use Facebook, but you also need to have your e-mail setup thru BIS for the Facebook app to operate properly... just figured I'd throw that out there
    04-06-10 01:05 PM
    Akmolin, why do you like the app better?
    04-06-10 01:05 PM
    I have the GMAIL App and have had it for like 2 or 3 yrs and always worked fine for me never had problems with it. I like it way better then just having the GMAIL Inbox on my BB
    Can you tell us some of the major differences between using the Gmail app as opposed to using it thru the native e-mail app on the BB?
    04-06-10 01:06 PM
    Thanks, Elvin. I think that's the route I'm going to go. Set up the GMail to go through my inbox, but also have the app for the rare times I may need to access any subfolders while on my blackberry.

One other question:

If the GMail app is running through the inbox, which contacts does it make use of - those in the BB, or the contacts from GMail?
    04-06-10 01:09 PM
    The Gmail app is going to run seperate from your inbox, therefore it will use your contacts from your Gmail itself.

Now, if you have you Gmail setup thru the BIS, then it will use the contacts in your address book.

When you say Gmail app, are you thinking of the Gmail Plugin or the actual app that you download from Google itself?
    04-06-10 01:17 PM
    What's the difference between the GMail app and GMail plugin? I was referring to the same program i downloaded from Google that I have been using on my Nokia E71 - which they have also for BB.

What else is there (aside from having GMail go through BIS)?
    04-06-10 01:22 PM
    The Gmail Plugin is developed by RIM specifically to work with their native BIS e-mail application to offer some additional features to the Gmail user, like the ability to label messages, add a star to a message, filter messages, etc, directly from the BlackBerry e-mail inbox. This wasn't available until the Gmail Plugin was developed.

That's the main difference between the two, Gmail app is a stand alone application, while the plugin works with the BIS to give you a richer e-mail experience.
    04-06-10 01:41 PM
    Great, so where does one find the GMail plugin?
    04-06-10 01:46 PM
    It should be pre-loaded on your 9700. I believe that RIM packages it with OS 5.0 (that's how it was when I upgraded to 5.0, so it should already be there since the 9700 already runs 5.0. If you setup your Gmail thru BIS, you should have all those options already in your e-mail inbox on your BB.
    04-06-10 01:54 PM
    It should be pre-loaded on your 9700. I believe that RIM packages it with OS 5.0 (that's how it was when I upgraded to 5.0, so it should already be there since the 9700 already runs 5.0. If you setup your Gmail thru BIS, you should have all those options already in your e-mail inbox on your BB.
    Awesome! Thanks.
    04-06-10 02:00 PM
    And then there is a Gmail app which you load up manually and it checks and can load all your folders and past e-mails.
    04-06-10 05:27 PM
    Please excuse me if I've gotten myself mixed up, I'm new to a lot of this. But I prefer the gmail app because it's my understanding that if you're setting up your gmail account through the BIS it will be POP and not IMAP. Let me know if I did something wrong, but when I first got my phone I set up my gmail account through the phone's email settings, I basically had to manage 2 inboxes...the one on my phone and the one on the web. In other words, if I were to read a bunch of new email messages on the web, they would still appear as new messages on the blackberry. This was extremely frustrating to me, so I switched to the gmail app. Is there a solution to this other than using the app?
    04-14-10 07:37 PM
    Yes, that's pretty much the issue with GMail through the integrated BIS mailbox.
    04-14-10 11:31 PM
    one of the few good things about the gmail app is the ability to actually read long emails. when pushed to your bb, they are truncated at a certain point, which can get annoying depending on your average incoming email size. so i like to use the plugin mostly, but i tend to jump into the app if i need to read an e-mail which can't be fully read with the plugin itself
    04-15-10 07:22 AM
    The app is also good for accessing GMail subfolders...
    04-15-10 07:43 AM
    Never tried the plugin but I've enjoyed using the stand alone app because you can set up multiple accounts for it to check/view. Not just my own email accounts but my wife's as well who doesn't have a blackberry. Personally, I don't feel it has affected my battery life negatively having it run in the background but then again my phone is always plugged when in the car. IMO, it seems "cleaner" to use the app if you know what I mean, keeping those emails separate.
    04-15-10 12:36 PM
    Can you tell us some of the major differences between using the Gmail app as opposed to using it thru the native e-mail app on the BB?

Okay for example if you use "LABELS" for messages. You can also set up different accounts with just the one app so you dont have like 2 diff mailboxes on the phone. If you want to put messages into different folders & also have those available to you if you are not looking at it through your BB. There are other little different things I would say try out them both to see which you prefer b/c it is your phone & you may not like the GMAIL App over just using the BB Native Email......Also you will have to read the message 2 times basiclly if you use the INbox on the BB because it is going to appear in 2 places as well as the length is cut down on the BB so if you get a long email you would have to go and log into GMAIL.... let me know if that helps you out hope I didnt confuse you.
    Last edited by akmolin; 04-15-10 at 12:50 PM.
    04-15-10 12:47 PM
    @ elvin1983 what are you like trying to quiz me on what I know to see if I know what I am talking about? B/C considering your answering a lot of questions why would you ask me the major differences?
    04-15-10 12:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD