Just wondering if anyone here has tried both the Gmail App and IMAP.
    Which one do you prefer and why?
    06-22-08 01:54 PM
    I have, but it's best to just add your GMail account to BIS, period!
    06-22-08 02:28 PM
    I have it on BIS now. I liked the gmail app, cause it sorta looks like the real gmail. But BIS does have its advantages.

Read somewhere that BIS 2.5 is coming out soon with support for html mail, so that should be sweet.
    06-22-08 03:06 PM
    I'm pro gmail app it shows all my previous emails before I added the acct to bis.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-08 06:31 PM
    BlackBerry devices don't support true IMAP functionality. Despite that fact, having the mail pushed to the device is far better than using the app in my opinion.
    06-22-08 07:48 PM
    I'm all about the push through BIS. Really didn't care for the app and would rather save the memory for something I really need or want.
    06-22-08 07:50 PM
    Right now I have both the gmail app so my wife can check her email, and the mock imap setup for me. While I do like the synchronized messages, the imap setup take 10 to 15 mins for emails to make it through. My vote is for gmail straight through BIS. I will be switching back very soon.

06-22-08 08:21 PM
    I tried them both and prefer to have all my mail together in the messages folder. I switched back to pop from IMAP however since IMAP didn't push.

06-22-08 08:38 PM
    I use both BIS and the gmail app. This way I'm instantly notified because its pushed to my device and I can use the app to respond and view archived mail to keep it neat and organized in my gmail account.

06-22-08 08:45 PM
    Thanks for the replies guys.
    I'm sort of a newbie, this is my first blackberry.
    I've only tried the Gmail App till now and Just today i decided to try it with BIS.

I'll use it with BIS for a while and decide later which one i'll stick with.
    Last edited by orson1282; 06-22-08 at 10:15 PM.
    06-22-08 10:11 PM
    Another vote for GMAIL through BIS. I tried IMAP and the delay in receiving emails bothered me. Just set it up as you would any other email address.

06-22-08 10:23 PM
    I tried both and I am using the Gmail app. When html comes out, I'll probably switch back. I read the complete html emails by using Opera. I do the same for Woot.com so I can see the pictures.
    06-22-08 10:24 PM
    Is getting your emails a little faster with BIS POP really so important that you would disable BIS IMAP, and therefore lose two way sync capabilities? Do you enjoy having to deal with deleting and reading emails in two places, when you've already dealt with them? That's just not efficient. If you delete an email on your computer, it should sync up with your BB, and the reverse should take place too. IMAP does this.
    06-22-08 11:11 PM
    Is getting your emails a little faster with BIS POP really so important that you would disable BIS IMAP, and therefore lose two way sync capabilities? Do you enjoy having to deal with deleting and reading emails in two places, when you've already dealt with them? That's just not efficient. If you delete an email on your computer, it should sync up with your BB, and the reverse should take place too. IMAP does this.

I agree, the only way for the two way sync (for Gmail) to work, is with BIS IMAP or with the Gmail App. I don't even wanna bother with BIS POP.
    06-22-08 11:14 PM

I actually think it is that important to be notified of emails right away. That's the greatest thing about a blackberry if you ask me, the instant push email.
    As far as having to delete/read the emails in both places - it is a pain - but not that bad. Also, if you delete an mail from the blackberry, you can have it delete in your Gmail inbox as well.

Since I know I've read all of my emails (since they come in on BIS), I can just go in my Gmail inbox via the app or a computer to clean it up once in a while. Not a big deal.
    06-23-08 11:59 AM
    I use both imap and the gmail app. And I am content

06-24-08 04:03 AM
    i got a newer pearl and i cannot receive html email, like i could on my older pearl.
    i have to use the gmail app, but i prefer the set up through the bis.
    its what i used before, does anybody know how i can get html emails to the newer pearl?
    thanks
    08-02-08 10:49 PM
    nevermind, the html feature is back in my bis made email account.
    i do not know what happen, but i am glad its back.
    08-02-08 11:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD