I got my wife the Style last week after using my old 8330 for while, that being her first smart phone. I haven't used BB in over a year, so there was a learning curve for both of us. She decided she liked BB os, so we made the jump to the Style. I haven't setup her email account through the BB interface because she prefferd the gmail app, and wouldn't have to clear so many alerts. The only problem we've run into is her battery. Its like comically bad. I'm just trying to see if it is the gmail app that could be draining it. She unplugged today around 7, it was DEAD by 4, and that was with zero use from 1 till 4(she forgot it at the house). Thoughts, solutions, criticisms ?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-02-11 08:52 PM
    The questions I have are the usual suspects: What version of the OS is she running? For general battery issues, what is the signal like where she is using/carrying the phone? How much is she using it? What is she using it for? For the specific battery day in question - March 2nd - what is the signal like in your house? Did she leave any apps open/running other than the gmail app? Is the wifi on without a wifi signal or with a poor signal? Does the battery seem to get excessively warm or anything like that? Have you tried uninstalling the gmail app and just using the native client to see if that makes a difference in the battery?

The Style's battery life is one of its weaker points, though what you described did seem a bit excessive. The battery use does improve over a few charging cycles. A few people have reported that they have had to exchange the phone for a new Style because the battery seemed to be draining at a faulty rate. My advice is first of all to update to the most recent OS if you haven't yet, check the number of apps running in the background, and try an uninstall of the gmail app. Check to see if the first two things help improve battery life first.

I hope that helps to start out with.
    03-03-11 12:55 AM
    The questions I have are the usual suspects: What version of the OS is she running? For general battery issues, what is the signal like where she is using/carrying the phone? How much is she using it? What is she using it for? For the specific battery day in question - March 2nd - what is the signal like in your house? Did she leave any apps open/running other than the gmail app? Is the wifi on without a wifi signal or with a poor signal? Does the battery seem to get excessively warm or anything like that? Have you tried uninstalling the gmail app and just using the native client to see if that makes a difference in the battery?

The Style's battery life is one of its weaker points, though what you described did seem a bit excessive. The battery use does improve over a few charging cycles. A few people have reported that they have had to exchange the phone for a new Style because the battery seemed to be draining at a faulty rate. My advice is first of all to update to the most recent OS if you haven't yet, check the number of apps running in the background, and try an uninstall of the gmail app. Check to see if the first two things help improve battery life first.

I hope that helps to start out with.
    Lets see, signal here in San Diego is consistently good. WIFI is turned off always. I don't think she had any apps open yesterday. This is really only her second week with a smart phone, and is just getting her feet wet. I have to constantly remind her that she can use her phone for more than calls and texting. She likes the gmail interface, so no, I haven't tried deleting it as of yet, but if her battery continues to only last till 4 in the afternoon, I may have to. I also wanted to throw the question up here first. OS is updated, and haven't noticed any warmth, but I'll tell her to look for it. Thanks for the help. I'm glad to hear that the battery is bad, but shouldn't be THIS bad.
    03-03-11 08:06 AM
    Lets see, signal here in San Diego is consistently good. WIFI is turned off always. I don't think she had any apps open yesterday. This is really only her second week with a smart phone, and is just getting her feet wet. I have to constantly remind her that she can use her phone for more than calls and texting. She likes the gmail interface, so no, I haven't tried deleting it as of yet, but if her battery continues to only last till 4 in the afternoon, I may have to. I also wanted to throw the question up here first. OS is updated, and haven't noticed any warmth, but I'll tell her to look for it. Thanks for the help. I'm glad to hear that the battery is bad, but shouldn't be THIS bad.
    I didn't even know there was a Gmail app haha I just have my Gmail address as the default email on the phone (I didn't even think you can use a BB w/out email set up?). If she has Facebook installed you want to change the update settings to 3hrs instead of 10mins or whatever its set to. Also, make sure bluetooth and wifi are off. My Style gets down to about 50% after between 14-18hrs depending on use. This is with good signal. My wife works in a bad coverage area and her battery life is similar to what you described. If she does in fact have good signal I would get a new phone while you're still in the 30 day return policy. My wife loves the phone and didn't want to give it up so my solution for her was I found one of those small 4000mah Duracell battery packs on clearance for $20 (normally around $100) and she keeps it in her purse and can charge whenever or wherever.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by danisnotstan; 03-03-11 at 10:10 AM.
    03-03-11 10:07 AM
    I have the Gmail app, and it doesn't seem to drain my battery like that. There are a couple settings you can change that might use a little more battery, but that doesn't sound right.

Are you sure that's the only app? I had problems like that with other apps, like LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter. I no longer use any of those particular apps.
    03-03-11 10:13 AM
    I have the Gmail app, and it doesn't seem to drain my battery like that. There are a couple settings you can change that might use a little more battery, but that doesn't sound right.

Are you sure that's the only app? I had problems like that with other apps, like LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter. I no longer use any of those particular apps.
    It is the only app she has, I actually removed all the social media apps through the desktop software, because she wouldn't use them. She is like an Amish person with technology, but wanted acces to her email on the go. I guess I'll just keep an eye on it through this week. We may be making a trip for a new one next week. Thanks for all the feed back.
    03-03-11 12:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD