Hi,

I did a search but what I was looking for specifically didn't come up. I am getting a replacement Bold on Monday and I need to back EVERYTHING up. If I use Device Switcher Wizard(?) and back up on Monday when this device is taken back and I am given the new one will I just have to plug the new one in and transfer it over or do I need the old one and new one plugged in together for it to work?

I am asking because I used the basic back-up last time and had to go through lots of hassle to get all my third party apps back!

I'd be really grateful if somebody could give me a bit of advice on what the best thing to do would be as I really do not want to lose anything.

Thanksyou!
    07-08-10 02:41 PM
    3rd party apps do not always backup and restore.

i recently replaced my 9700, when i did a backup and restored to the new one, Google Talk had to be reinstalled but Yahoo Messenger didn't.

BlackBerry App World looked like it transferred, but when i tried to launch, it would just hang.
    07-08-10 02:47 PM
    07-08-10 02:47 PM

i recently replaced my 9700, when i did a backup and restored to the new one, Google Talk had to be reinstalled but Yahoo Messenger didn't.

BlackBerry App World looked like it transferred, but when i tried to launch, it would just hang.
    wrong.... 3rd party applications do back up and restore...... see the post i posted above this one.
    07-08-10 02:49 PM
    you're gonna have to swap your pin in your appstore acct for the apps to work right and i usually like starting fresh on a new phone anyways, less baggage from the apps.

as for everything else just back it up and restore or just push through the contacts only, up to you.
    07-08-10 02:49 PM
    Thanks for your help.

I feel kind of stupid now, just wanted to be careful as I have had problems in the past and I want the transition to be as hassle free as possible.
    07-08-10 02:51 PM
    Thanks for your help.

I feel kind of stupid now, just wanted to be careful as I have had problems in the past and I want the transition to be as hassle free as possible.
    If you use the method i posted above you won't have a problem....
    07-08-10 02:57 PM
    Right, so had a look at Boy Genius' guide to backing up third party apps and it says something about searching for my pin to find the backup so I can put it on the desktop - I have done this, however, it also says something about a .alx file which I cannot find for love nor money.

This could be another 'silly' question but please help?
    07-08-10 03:01 PM
    did you make sure that you have your searches "show all" turned on?

look @ step six here
    http://www.bbgeeks.com/blackberry-guides/geek-guide-how-to-backup-and-restore-your-3rd-party-applications-88431/
    Last edited by mjneid; 07-08-10 at 03:06 PM.
    07-08-10 03:03 PM
    Yup! I had it switched on but I have now found it - there are three folders with my PIN on - BGR said they'd be two so I have moved the .alx out of the folder onto the desktop and I am going to move all three folders there too? I assume this is right?
    07-08-10 03:07 PM
    Yes it is correct. but i believe you'll want to keep it in the folder... try it w/o being the folder first and see what happens.
    07-08-10 03:23 PM
    Okay, thanks for all you're help!
    07-08-10 03:25 PM
    no problem... it's been a while since i've done that though....
    07-08-10 03:26 PM
    07-08-10 03:39 PM
    no problem at all.
    07-08-10 03:41 PM
    wrong.... 3rd party applications do back up and restore...... see the post i posted above this one.
    really, i'm not sure how i can be wrong when i explained exactly what happened to me.

granted, i did not use the process you listed, but using the standard back up, it will not not always work as you might expect.
    07-08-10 09:23 PM
    Yup, you're right using the standard backup doesn't work I've made that mistake before! It only backs up data it doesn't back up third party apps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-10 05:35 AM
    really, i'm not sure how i can be wrong when i explained exactly what happened to me.

granted, i did not use the process you listed, but using the standard back up, it will not not always work as you might expect.
    your words in quote

you said they don't always backup and restore. The Desktop Manager never does that.... that's how your wrong.... hey you asked, i answered.

the Back Up/Restore feature is not designed to backup and restore 3rd party applications. it was never designed to do so. it was only meant to back up/restore the important information such as emails/calendar/phone book.

you must trick the DM into thinking you are switching devices to get it to cut the .cods and .alx off of the phone to make it work. the good thing is if you cut and paste the file out of the temp folder you find it in, you can use it as a back up/restore for the applications. but if you leave it in the temp folder it will delete them over a time period.
    07-09-10 07:53 AM
    whatever you say, man.

i guess BlackBerry App World came installed on my 9700 out of the box, then.

thanks.
    07-09-10 09:46 AM
    whatever you say, man.

i guess BlackBerry App World came installed on my 9700 out of the box, then.

thanks.
    Blackberry App world did come installed on mine out of the box...i remember that quite clearly.
    07-09-10 02:12 PM
    DM now backs up your 3rd party apps . Ive wiped my 9700 several times and all occasions , all my apps were backed up using DM with the exception of App World
    07-09-10 04:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD