My problem is that I am not running a BB plan right now, because screw Rogers and its unholy methods of trying to get me to resign if I want to get a BB plan (3 years, yea **** that)

So my problem is that, it seems, without a data connection, or what seems like a BIS connection, things like App World and Facebook and Google apps will not run on WiFi only. Does anyone know if there is a way to force these applications to run strictly off WiFi or am I out of luck on this one?
    03-01-10 07:38 PM
    no chance to run those apps without data plan. they won't work on wifi. with wifi, you can browse the web and check email.*thats about it.
    03-01-10 07:42 PM
    This is. Painful. Kind of. My contract is out in 8 months but I'd sooner jump ship to someone else. Still that's just some kinds of sucky.
    03-01-10 07:46 PM
    i hear you. its a pain for me just to go through a length of 2 year contract with at&t. it has nothing to do with at&t's service. i just hate waiting that long before i can get a must have new device if i want to. i can imagine how 3 year contracts with rogers can be.
    03-01-10 08:12 PM
    Disgustingly painful. They try to rake you in any chance they get too. Slightly frustrating but given the big lack of competition up here its annoying.
    03-01-10 08:19 PM
    Unfortunately, without your account provisioned to a blackberry, there are a lot of things that won't work, including texting. There are Blackberry data plans out there that don't require you to sign a contract. The 30.00 blackberry plan gives you 500mb to do whatever your heart desires.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-01-10 10:08 PM
    Well actually nothing works except calling, texting and the web browser (Hotspot browser) which is a reason why I dislike BBs :|

03-01-10 11:51 PM
    Well actually nothing works except calling, texting and the web browser (Hotspot browser) which is a reason why I dislike BBs :|

you dislike blackberrys because the things that it relies on to function properly, you dont have or dont want? that doesnt make sense. to use it to its full potential, you need the required data plan. if people dont want to pay to play, they cant knock the device for "not working".
    03-02-10 12:11 AM
    I meant I dislike the idea of having to be tied to a data plan just to use my fav features like BBM. Cuz I pay $80 a month which is kinda pricey to me so I if I planned on discontinuing my data plan I wouldn't be able to use those features which require a data plan which sucks.

03-02-10 12:27 AM
    I meant I dislike the idea of having to be tied to a data plan just to use my fav features like BBM. Cuz I pay $80 a month which is kinda pricey to me so I if I planned on discontinuing my data plan I wouldn't be able to use those features which require a data plan which sucks.

well certain apps, especially BBM, require the use of RIM servers and network. in order to use them, you need to pay RIM for the use. it is their proprietary messaging service that uses their data. carrier data plans alone, cannot provide what the RIM network does.

its kinda like subscribing to certain cable TV channels, then wanting to canel your subscription yet wanting to keep receiving the channel. or like you getting mad at the phone company, because you cancel your plan, they turn your phone off but you expect it to still work. its silly, no company will do that.

you cant hate blackberrys for it, its just common business practice. like i said, you have to npay to play.
    03-02-10 12:52 AM

Dude,
    Where exactly are you getting your facts from? I'm using a 9000 without a dataplan. I use every app I need. I use google maps, Youmail, bbscanner, and a few others I can't think of at the moment...I got Aerize Wifix....did a few searches...I found that there are a number of workarounds to not having the dp......
    03-02-10 08:02 AM
    @ dictoresno I see what u mean and thanks for explaining

@ VYCanisMajoris I can't find any work arounds and btw I live in canada and the app world here doesn't have many useful utility apps so if u have any other ways to work around this I would like to know. thanks

03-02-10 10:17 AM
    Before I had a data plan on my BB I used the Hotspot browser and went to the mobile facebook page for most sites if you put an m instead of www you should get the mobile site on your phone ie: m.facebook.com try that, worked for me good luck.
    03-02-10 06:22 PM
    just checked again to make sure it worked and it works for m.gmail.com m.ebay.com and m.facebook.com
    03-02-10 06:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD