Since I can't afford a text plan, I downloaded Google Voice. Outgoing texts are free, but I'm being charged for incoming ones. Anyone know a fix?

Also, how do I add it to the "Top 5"?

Thanks.
    12-23-09 11:53 AM
    Since I can't afford a text plan, I downloaded Google Voice. Outgoing texts are free, but I'm being charged for incoming ones. Anyone know a fix?

Also, how do I add it to the "Top 5"?

Thanks.
    No fix. You need to have a plan that includes "family and friends". Then add your google voice number as one of your family and friends. I think, texts received will still cost you money unless you have a text plan. Not sure if the "family and friends" plans include text.
    12-23-09 12:09 PM
    If i'm reading it right, you wanted to use the GoogleVoice free SMS feature but you don't want to get billed by your carrier of incoming SMS onto your phone ??

I do the same thing... There is a setting in GoogleVoice (web and not the client) to disable SMS delivery onto your phone. At the same time, enable the "Deliver SMS via email" settings as well.

You will get all SMS (sent to your GV #) via email and you can respond via email as well and the reciepient will get it as SMS.

Hope this helps.
    12-23-09 12:15 PM
    If i'm reading it right, you wanted to use the GoogleVoice free SMS feature but you don't want to get billed by your carrier of incoming SMS onto your phone ??

I do the same thing... There is a setting in GoogleVoice (web and not the client) to disable SMS delivery onto your phone. At the same time, enable the "Deliver SMS via email" settings as well.

You will get all SMS (sent to your GV #) via email and you can respond via email as well and the reciepient will get it as SMS.

Hope this helps.
    Excellent information.

Just for clarification (it took me a bit to find this) go into phone settings to disable SMS.
    12-23-09 12:29 PM
    Glad it helped !!!
    12-23-09 12:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD