I've been fortunate enough to test drive the new GetItBack beta application. For those of you who haven't used either of the previous iterations of this application (FindIt 1.0 & 2.0), GetItBack is an app that gives you the means to remotely locate and control your stolen or misplaced BlackBerry from a simple online control panel. I've only been using it a few days, but here are my thoughts so far:

User Interface - I dig the online thing. You go to Convenience Software's website, set up an account, and login. You can then "report your phone stolen." The UI looks just like the image in this thread, with the following additions: "General" information also includes "current area code" and "current screen state" (locked or unlocked). "Controller" options also include "Make your phone play a message" (url-based .wav files only) and "Lock your phone."

Feature Set - There's some really great stuff here. I like the idea of displaying SIM data as well as GPS and area code. And you can't beat an actual map of your phone's location. But the "alarm" feature is my favorite. A loud voice repeating, "This BlackBerry is stolen! This BlackBerry is stolen! Please return to the owner immediately!" over and over, complete with police siren sound effects in the background. And it won't stop unless you pull the battery. An option also exists to "lock your phone."

Application Footprint - GetItBack opens on startup and runs in the background. I have to admit that I was leery of this at first. Like many BlackBerry users, I like my device to "run lean," keeping open only the 5 "impossible to close" applications (and sometimes TinyTwitter ). Fortunately, GetItBack seems to have a very small footprint as far as battery and resource consumption. I haven't really noticed a difference in performance or battery life since installing the app.

This limited beta version is coming along nicely. I've been in contact with Convenience Software about a couple of bugs, but by and large the application does exactly what it's supposed to. I'm really looking forward to the final version of GetItBack. I don't know anybody who hasn't at least temporarily lost their phone or, God forbid, had their phone stolen. I think this app tips the odds of recovery in the owner's favor. I'd be interested to hear what any other beta users have to say about the app.
    05-13-08 05:48 PM
    I've been testing it out too, but haven't a chance to really check everything out. I had FindIt 2.0 on my previous BB, and so far, GetItBack seems even better. Hope to really test it thoroughly in the next few days, and add more feedback here.
    05-13-08 06:22 PM
    Sounds like a winner!b
    05-13-08 06:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD