Has anyone tried the Garmin Mobile app for BB. It looks awsome on their website and they have a 7 day free trail but unfurtunately it doesn't work with my Tour.
    The app cost $100, which is a lot, but cheaper than a year's worth of VZNav or TeleNav.

The only thing that concerns me is the app is only for the BB you dl it to. So if you upgrade berries, you have to pay for it all over again.

They do say that if you have your berry replaced under warranty than they will let you transfer it one time. Not so sure I like that either. We all know how well replacement devices work.

So anybody use it and if so you think its worth the price?
    10-10-09 10:39 PM
    I quickly tried it this weekend but I did not like the interface all that much.

Also, while I'm not sure, at one time you could get it for $79 at the Blackberry Lounge. If you search for Garmin, in this subforum, you might still find a link.
    10-12-09 10:46 AM
    I use it and like it. I got a 20% discount from the Blackberry owners lounge. I see they still have the 20% discount. Garmin Mobile has a similar interface as my Garmin Nuvi.
    What I like about Garmin Mobile:
    -I always have the BB and Garmin Mobile with me.
    -The maps are the latest that Garmin has available.
    -You can look up addresses from your BB contacts.
    -Mobile manager allows you to look up an address on your computer and store it in mobile manager. Mobile manager can be opened on on the BB.
    What I don't like about it:
    -If I am in an area with poor cellular coverage Garmin Mobile is useless.
    -The screen size on my BB Bold is not large. It is much easier to read the screen on om Nuvi.
    -My Nuvi is faster in obtaining GPS.
    For me it was worth it.
    10-12-09 11:23 AM
    I use it and like it. I got a 20% discount from the Blackberry owners lounge. I see they still have the 20% discount. Garmin Mobile has a similar interface as my Garmin Nuvi.
    What I like about Garmin Mobile:
    -I always have the BB and Garmin Mobile with me.
    -The maps are the latest that Garmin has available.
    -You can look up addresses from your BB contacts.
    -Mobile manager allows you to look up an address on your computer and store it in mobile manager. Mobile manager can be opened on on the BB.
    What I don't like about it:
    -If I am in an area with poor cellular coverage Garmin Mobile is useless.
    -The screen size on my BB Bold is not large. It is much easier to read the screen on om Nuvi.
    -My Nuvi is faster in obtaining GPS.
    For me it was worth it.
    I second this. I also bought it for $80. I use google maps a lot, but what I really like about this vs gmaps is, garmin acts like a real gps unit, while gmaps does not. With the garmin, you get realtime route recalc, which helps a TON if you're trying to go somewhere you haven't been before, and decide to change the route. With google, you have to start the process all over again, which is a pain in the ... If you're driving. Also, the garmin behaves much better for longer trips than the gmaps does. I guess it depends on your usage, but if you want something that's much closer to a real gps, check out garmin.

On a side note, I used to run Co-Pilot when I had a winmo phone, and what was great about that was that you could store your maps and trip destination on your sd card. So, if you're traveling thru the mountains or somewhere you don't get data signal, you can still trod along happily with your gps updating. Can't do that with BlackBerrys unfortunately.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-12-09 12:04 PM
    I second this. I also bought it for $80. I use google maps a lot, but what I really like about this vs gmaps is, garmin acts like a real gps unit, while gmaps does not. With the garmin, you get realtime route recalc, which helps a TON if you're trying to go somewhere you haven't been before, and decide to change the route. With google, you have to start the process all over again, which is a pain in the ... If you're driving. Also, the garmin behaves much better for longer trips than the gmaps does. I guess it depends on your usage, but if you want something that's much closer to a real gps, check out garmin.

On a side note, I used to run Co-Pilot when I had a winmo phone, and what was great about that was that you could store your maps and trip destination on your sd card. So, if you're traveling thru the mountains or somewhere you don't get data signal, you can still trod along happily with your gps updating. Can't do that with BlackBerrys unfortunately.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I agree. I bought Garmin Mobile for my Storm (paid $80) then switched it to my Tour (which Garmin did at no cost - but one time only I was told). I have a Garmin Nuvi which I use alot and the one on my Tour is primarily a backup. However, it works great and I have been using more that I thought I would for trips that arent too long (quicker than setting up the Nuvi). I recommend it!
    10-12-09 01:05 PM
    Been using GM on my devices for over a year. Been using TeleNav on my devices for over a year. I prefer GM for its simpler, cleaner interface. And yes, it is definitely worth the price.
    10-12-09 01:54 PM
    To those who have been using Garmin Mobile for a while:

Question about POI or finding places.

I just fired it up. I am in Wa state. I wanted to find Yosemite. I could not do it. How do I specify a wide-open point of interest search. It seems to be local to my current location.

If I wanted a route to Yellowstone or similar what do I need to do?

Thanks in advance
    10-12-09 03:38 PM
    GMB is great. Interface very similar to nuvi.

Downside is that you need wireless coverage for maps to updaste as they are not strored on the device. A nice update would be the option to load the maps for a given route on the SD card.

Maybe if enough folks write in and suggest it...
    10-12-09 09:59 PM
    the Garmin Mobile is free with the all data plan on sprint... like what has been said signal is in out in out drives me nuts so i use both google maps and the garmin
    10-12-09 10:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD