Is anybody running the Garmin GPS application on an 8900. Their compatibility list looks as though it hasn't been updated lately, though it works on the older curve models. I'm just curious if anybody has had any luck installing and running on the 8900. Thanks.

UPDATE: I took the plunge and downloaded to my 8900 last night. It works great!!! Though the speaker for the 8900 is not the ideal speaker for the turn by turn directions, it sounds kind of muffled, but none the less, all the functions I am used to with the Garmin dash mounted products I have seems to be available. A couple of things not though. It does not have the trip computer, or the zoom capability that some of the others have. Don't get me wrong, it definately gets close enough, just not as close as the dash units. So far, everything seems to be running well. They do offer a 7 day free trial, so after that 7 days, if I find too many flaws, I can just remove it.
    Last edited by motospeed9058; 08-06-09 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Update to original posting.
    08-05-09 03:07 PM
    I intend to install it on 8900. According to Garmin's list of compatibility, 8900 fits all functions.
    Last edited by lpedala; 08-06-09 at 07:44 AM.
    08-06-09 07:39 AM
    Where did you find it? Is it free or paid?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-09 07:40 AM
    Where did you find it? Is it free or paid?

It's a paid application. $99 for the life of your unit. May seem like a lot, but I put it in this perspective. I have 3 other dash mounted Garmin units that I paid well over $200+ for over the years, and I continually pay ~$75/annually per unit to update. Needless to say, I love garmin products as they are easy to use. The screen shots for their BB app is very similar to the functions of their other units.

Also, the other GPS service which is a pay service through my carrier (ATT) is $10/month for a total of $120 for a year.

$99 from a reputable GPS manuafacturer for constantly updated information with the Google Search Function that also ties into your contact list and allows for phone use while navigating, just sounds like a steal to me.

Also, by listening to some of the others that have compared them to other services, they seem to be a lot better, hence the price they seem to be asking for.

Garmin | Garmin Mobile for BlackBerry - Turn your BlackBerry into a savvy navigator with Garmin Mobile
    08-06-09 08:00 AM
    I got dh a dash mount last Christmas and I was curious about the aoo! Thanks!

08-06-09 08:14 AM
    When trying to install via Web Browser FREE 7-day trial (This 7-day free trial includes everything you need — maps, millions of POIs and easy-to-use navigation software.) it said the trial version of garmin mobile is not supported in this device (my 8900!!!)
    08-06-09 09:41 AM
    When trying to install via Web Browser FREE 7-day trial (This 7-day free trial includes everything you need � maps, millions of POIs and easy-to-use navigation software.) it said the trial version of garmin mobile is not supported in this device (my 8900!!!)
    My guess would be that it is carrier related. I don't remember seeing Vodafone on their list of supported carriers (listing on Garmin.com). I downloaded to mine with no problem whatsoever!!!
    08-06-09 02:59 PM
    Some people prefer this mobile version over the standalone just for usability and constant updates.

I had their Garmin XT unit for my Treo 750 and I loved it! I still keep my Treo around just to use Garmin! I tried the free trial on my Bold and it's equally great, but I couldn't pay another $100 for it when I already had it with just a swap of my SIM Card. Plus I have Google Maps and Poynt if I'm in a pinch.

Great products!

08-06-09 03:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD