(I originally posted this comment elsewhere in a thread on tip calculators, but a moderator suggested I mention this here)

I felt silly paying real money for a tip calculator when I only wanted something really simple. So tonight, I decided to write my own tip calculator. I wanted something that will let me just enter the amount, # diners, and spit out the numbers I want. There is no calculate step: it calculates as you type. It remembers the tip and tax rates so you don't have to reenter them.

I just wrote it, so I haven't had time to upload to the app store places. There may be a few kinks. Anyway, tell me what you think. Brief description and OTA download link below. I won't bother announcing it elsewhere right now, so consider this a sort of a Crackberry "exclusive". Enjoy. It's free.

FreeTips
    05-02-09 11:37 PM
    Awesome app! Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-02-09 11:41 PM
    Nice... Is it possible to allow us to put a 2 place decimal for the tip, so we can put 9.25% like here in So. Cal? Either way, nice app... Thanks!
    05-03-09 04:26 AM
    Thanks for sharing (after creating).
    05-03-09 09:38 AM
    Thanks cwong!! It works like a champ!
    05-03-09 09:49 AM
    thank you .

05-03-09 10:29 AM
    Thank you!

05-03-09 10:33 AM
    Nice , i was looking for this app ,, thanks
    05-03-09 10:37 AM
    Very nice application. Maybe one of the best I've used so far. Thanks.

05-03-09 10:57 AM
    awesome, thanks for creating a free app for this!
    05-03-09 12:25 PM
    Thanks, it's much appreciated.
    05-03-09 04:44 PM
    Thank you for this great free app.
    05-03-09 05:16 PM
    Risingsun124: thanks for the feedback. I didn't know people set their tip amount so precisely. I'll make sure the next release allows you to enter a decimal point. Elsewhere, someone requested the option of entering a tax amount rather than a tax rate. I figure I will allow entering both fields, so if you enter an actual tax amount it will override the tax rate. I am proposing that the next release will look like. Let me know what you think.

Bill amount (pre-tax):
    Diners:
    Tax amount: new field
    Tax rate (%): this will be remembered
    Tip rate (%): this will be remembered
    -------------------------
    Total amount:
    Amount per diner:
    Tip per diner:
    05-04-09 09:14 AM
    Nice little app, and the price is definitely right! You should be asking for donations or $.99 for this little app...
    05-04-09 09:19 AM
    Thank you for sharing this most excellent application!!
    05-04-09 09:27 AM
    Risingsun124: thanks for the feedback. I didn't know people set their tip amount so precisely. I'll make sure the next release allows you to enter a decimal point. Elsewhere, someone requested the option of entering a tax amount rather than a tax rate. I figure I will allow entering both fields, so if you enter an actual tax amount it will override the tax rate. I am proposing that the next release will look like. Let me know what you think.

Bill amount (pre-tax):
    Diners:
    Tax amount: new field
    Tax rate (%): this will be remembered
    Tip rate (%): this will be remembered
    -------------------------
    Total amount:
    Amount per diner:
    Tip per diner:
    Very nice! I really like the previous version, but allowing the precise tip amount will just provide a little double check of the bill... Your app works great! I think it's the best one out of this type that I have tried... I always wondered why the tip percentage and tax were not stored in the others... Like someone above said, maybe you should consider accepting donations... The fact that you have provided this for free, and are even trying to further the development by listening to feedback, makes me want to donate...

Keep up the good work, and thanks again...
    05-04-09 10:24 AM
    i've been looking for this forever, thanks!
    05-04-09 11:52 AM
    Thank you all for your feedback and kind words. I have uploaded a new version of FreeTips. Version 1.1 has the following changes in response to your feedback:

1. You can now enter tip/tax percentages in floating point rather than just integers.

2. There is a new field that lets you enter a tip amount. If nonzero, this overrides the tip rate (%) field.

Also, due to overwhelming demand, I have added a PayPal tip jar to accept donations

Please let me know what you think!
    05-05-09 10:01 PM
    Perfect! Like I had said earlier, it's a nice app... Now I say it's a perfect app! Thanks for such a good app, and offering it for free...

P.S. I dropped a lil something in the tip jar... I hope others will do the same...
    05-06-09 04:56 PM
    I saw that tip. Thanks!
    05-06-09 07:12 PM
    What a great application! Thank you for posting this for us!
    05-06-09 07:36 PM
    just what i've been looking for.

great job cwong!
    05-07-09 05:10 AM
    Great app for bb and it works as expexted. Nice easy to use and understand interface. Very simple and not crowded by all kinds of graphics and stuff like that. Thanks for creating a great app.
    05-07-09 09:23 AM
    Thanks a lot! This app works perfectly fine on the Storm with Compatibility Mode disabled!
    05-07-09 09:39 AM
    cool so, Amount per Diner includes the tip...and the tip per diner just shows how much each person is paying

thx

q's: how are you guys going to the previous inputs? i'm clicking on my 9530 but can't get it to work most times.
    Last edited by Lobsang; 05-07-09 at 09:53 AM.
    05-07-09 09:49 AM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD