I wrote an application called VyMail that interacts with the YouMail service and provides a visual voicemail interface. Basically a free alternative to the default visual voicemail application. More information is here: joekrill.com/vymail/, and the direct OTA download link is: http://www.joekrill.com/vymail/ota/ (I can't post URLs directly yet, sorry).

This will run on any Blackberry running OS 4.1 and above, actually.

It's fairly light on features at the moment, but I plan to add much more to it.

There is also an audio issue with anyone running the 4.7.0.75 verizon software. There's a pretty major flaw in that version which prevents me from routing sound through the speakerphone speaker, so it will only work through the headset in that case.
    12-22-08 01:18 PM
    For those running .76 and .83, sounds great! Thanks!
    12-22-08 01:21 PM
    I'll help you out... here it is! Can't wait to try it.

VyMail
    12-22-08 01:23 PM
    Great work!!! I cant wait to try it as well!!
    12-22-08 01:26 PM
    What needs to be done to set up you mail? Do I have to have Thai first?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-22-08 01:29 PM
    what about us telus users - you mail doesnt work
    12-22-08 01:30 PM
    @lilman573 - Thank you! I just hit 10 posts after that so now I can post URLs.

@jongrreat - It still works for .75 (in fact, I'm running .75 myself), but the audio just has to be played through the headset. (This bug affects other apps, to -- like FlyCast)

@cervoni - Head over to the YouMail Sign Up page to create an account. They'll give you directions on how to set up your phone and everything. Then you can put your account info in the VyMail application for it to start retrieving your messages.

@blazanik - Their website says "YouMail is currently available for most cell phone providers in North America.", but other than that I can't really speak to their specific availability. I suppose technically I could extend it to use other voice mail providers that I could pull data from, but I haven't really looked into that. Feel free to pass along any additional info though and I will look into it.
    12-22-08 01:47 PM
    Does the audio play through the headset or the speaker? my biggest problem with youmail is that the visual part of choosing which voicemails to listen to plays only through the speaker or headphones if i have them in. I also have to call the voicemail number to delete voicemails. Seems good from what I can tell. I love the specialized greetings and my family gets a kick out of them so overall youmail is worth it, just wish i could get my voicemails visually AND through the ear speaker rather than the out loud speaker.
    12-22-08 01:52 PM
    Questions....never used this before so bare with me.

So you download this and you should be good to go or do you still have to go with another third party to get this working? And is there costs involved?
    12-22-08 01:53 PM
    @CSSVT - Either -- there is an option that allows you to choose to play the audio through either the handset or the speakerphone speaker. There is one caveat that I mentioned which specifically affects OS v4.7.0.75 -- and that is that the API is broken and the audio will not play through the speakerphone properly in that specific case. I do intend to extend this feature by allowing you to switch the audio on the fly while playing, and playing through bluetooth, among other things.

Overall, though, I had the exact same concerns as you, which is basically why I wrote this app in the first place. You can delete, flag, and mark read from within the app itself.

@Johnny-5 - You will need to sign up with YouMail for this to work. Their service is free, and replaces your existing voicemail provider (Verizon in your case, I think). They do offer some premium services (transcriptions, premium greetings) that they do charge for, but none of that is necessary.

If you do opt for paying for transcriptions, however, they will be displayed within the VyMail app. When they first started the transcription service it was free. It was awesome. I loved it. I never listened to my voicemails, ever. It was a wonderful time. But now I'm too cheap to pay for them.
    12-22-08 02:02 PM
    Has any one has difficulty with BES and 4.7.0.83?
    12-22-08 02:07 PM
    Has any one has difficulty with BES and 4.7.0.83?
    With this app or in general?
    12-22-08 02:11 PM
    Testing on .83 now. Thanks in advance.

I only have BIS though abeitman, sorry.
    12-22-08 02:12 PM
    On BES with .83
    Shows no voicemail - sorry not working here.
    I also synced it and nothing showed up
    12-22-08 02:17 PM
    On BES with .83
    Shows no voicemail - sorry not working here.
    I also synced it and nothing showed up
    Same here on .83 downloaded and everything but no voice mails are showing up even after sync. Going to do a batt pull and see after that.
    12-22-08 02:23 PM
    Did a pull and decreased interval to 1 minute - still nada

Hopefully there is a workaround or a fix, this would be great!
    12-22-08 02:24 PM
    I didn't test with .83 -- I was hesitant to install it, but I will try it now and see what I can come up with. fossil4422 - are you on BES?
    12-22-08 02:25 PM
    I didn't test with .83 -- I was hesitant to install it, but I will try it now and see what I can come up with. fossil4422 - are you on BES?
    No but let me no if there is anything I can do to help.
    12-22-08 02:32 PM
    yea i'm not gettin anything with .83 as well. Hope you get it fixed for us joekr. It seems great and I really appreciate it. It's just better all around IMO.......even the look of the button is more appealing
    12-22-08 02:34 PM
    I'm on BIS .83 as well and no luck, so I don't think its a BIS/BES issue. Please let me know if I can help. Thanks for your work, this app looks great!

Brian
    12-22-08 02:43 PM
    I am definitely on board too as soon as you get it sorted out.
    12-22-08 02:44 PM
    Joe.. looks like an awesome app. Thanks for creating and working on it.

I'm going to sit tight on it as well until there is a posting showing it's working with .83.
    12-22-08 02:47 PM
    I'll wait until people say this is working before installing, but this would be sweet.
    12-22-08 03:05 PM
    WOW. Sprint CHARGES for fwd'd calls...and you have to call them to activate the call fwd feature. Does anyone know a way around this?
    12-22-08 03:06 PM
    One question, I have YouMail and like it. But I have to call in and listen to delete my voicemails. Can I just look at VyMail and delete the voicemail without having to call?
    12-22-08 03:07 PM
403 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD