Is there a free app that pop-ups an alert message when you get a new SMS message?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-15-10 10:05 PM
    Is there a free app that pop-ups an alert message when you get a new SMS message?

Tons of them. Try searching in Apps. One that I can think of is BerryPopUp, but there are many others.
    05-16-10 02:42 PM
    Tons of them. Try searching in Apps. One that I can think of is BerryPopUp, but there are many others.
    I don't think BerryPopup is free.
    05-16-10 03:57 PM
    I don't think BerryPopup is free.
    True, but did you do any searching? There was a post about this question just yesterday here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/sms-pop-ups-468475/

Again, I didn't research them so I don't know if they are free, but as frequent poster to the forum, you should know how to search to find the answers.
    05-16-10 04:13 PM
    Berry Popup has a free trial for 7 days.

Crazy idea, why not pay for the application? I'm pretty sure it's on sale for $2.50.
    05-16-10 05:05 PM
    BePopup is wayyyy worth paying for...

There are very few actual, mandatory apps for me. That and BeBuzz are two of them.
    05-16-10 05:54 PM
    True, but did you do any searching? There was a post about this question just yesterday here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/sms-pop-ups-468475/

Again, I didn't research them so I don't know if they are free, but as frequent poster to the forum, you should know how to search to find the answers.
    I did some research but didn't find anything, that's why I asked here. And I checked the previous thread posted but, all the apps that are replied aren't free. But thanks, though, I think i'll just wait for a free one to come out.

05-16-10 09:33 PM
    Wow. The frugality of some people never ceases to amaze.
    05-16-10 10:46 PM
    Wow. The frugality of some people never ceases to amaze.
    Different people have different mindset, so it isn't right to judge people.
    05-17-10 02:26 AM
    It's not about frugality, I just don't want to spend money on unnecessary things.

05-17-10 07:56 AM
    It's not about frugality, I just don't want to spend money on unnecessary things.

I feel the same way as you
    05-17-10 08:08 AM
    I'm trying to be same way not spend money on unnecessary things was habbit of mine doing when I was younger

05-17-10 08:28 AM
    Then why did you even make this thread? The only options you have all cost money. Which means there's a market for it. Which means why would someone make it for free when they could be making 5 bucks a pop for a copy of it?

You're going to be waiting a looooooooooong time for a free one.

Also, if you want it, and 5 bucks isn't going to break you, then it's not really unnecessary, but whatever. Your choice. At least my SMS' pop-up.
    05-17-10 08:31 AM
    I use the free version of BePopup and SMS only show up with name and number of sender. When I click on open inbox it takes me to Messages and not SMS/MMS. For emails it works great though.
    I wouldn't mind paying for a good app, but when its something like this or a weather app or a twitter app, I'd rather choose something that's free because other platforms give you a ton of free apps to choose from and I feel Blackberry should be the same.

05-17-10 09:18 AM
    Uh huh..Except other platforms it's usually the company making useful apps. RIM doesn't make any good applications, most of these apps are made by third party developers, which are people like you and me just trying to put a skill to work and make some money. For some this is their job. So you stick to your free versions and trials. Better yet, go to the other platforms.

Think about if making and selling applications was your job..and you see people like you posting "Oh, I don't think I should have to pay for this, so I'm not going to."

For those that are interested in actually helping out third party developers in the hopes that we might get better and better applications, the PAID version of BerryPopup shows the actual SMS, as well as the name and number.

The balls on some people in this forum is just plain mind boggling. I'm getting out of this thread before every ignorant BB owner worms their way into it.
    05-17-10 09:38 AM
    Uh huh..Except other platforms it's usually the company making useful apps. RIM doesn't make any good applications, most of these apps are made by third party developers, which are people like you and me just trying to put a skill to work and make some money. For some this is their job. So you stick to your free versions and trials. Better yet, go to the other platforms.

Think about if making and selling applications was your job..and you see people like you posting "Oh, I don't think I should have to pay for this, so I'm not going to."

For those that are interested in actually helping out third party developers in the hopes that we might get better and better applications, the PAID version of BerryPopup shows the actual SMS, as well as the name and number.

The balls on some people in this forum is just plain mind boggling. I'm getting out of this thread before every ignorant BB owner worms their way into it.
    Never did I say I don't support 3rd party apps or anything. I just said like with Twitter. UberTwitter is awesome, works great, still in beta and free. Why would I buy an app for 5 o 9 dollars for the same experience? Same as BeWeather, I have the free one because it has a nice interface, free and gives me what I want: locations in Mexico, temperature in �C and Hi/Lo. Just like my iPod touch had with the Yahoo! weather app and AccuWeather app. Why pay for extras I won't use? If other people want and need or feel the need to purchase something, go for it. I don't say you don't have to.
    Wow, some people think everyone has the same needs/ideals as them.

Wanted to add, I'm perfectly happy with my BlackBerry 8520 and don't need to go to another platform. I'm happy I have choices as does everyone else.
    Last edited by JRF_8520; 05-17-10 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Decided to delete opening statement to avoid offending people ;)
    05-17-10 11:17 AM
    I wasn't talking about Twitter, (I agree, it's a free service, if there are free apps available, why not use them) BeWeather I can understand both sides - paying / not paying for, but I was talking specifically about BerryPopup because it's not a native function, nor based on a widget, (well, I'm sure there are popup widgets for somethnig) and therefore justifies having a price tag.

I was making a point to the OP that wants / would use BP, but refuses to pay for it. Thinking that he/she is entitled to a free version of the app for life is just annoying, and frustrating to see as someone who knows what it's like to live off of a fluctuating low income.
    05-17-10 12:06 PM
    BPuP has a free version. I have it just to try out the app. Its ok, but not something I feel I need to use regularly.
    05-17-10 12:21 PM
    I wasn't talking about Twitter, (I agree, it's a free service, if there are free apps available, why not use them) BeWeather I can understand both sides - paying / not paying for, but I was talking specifically about BerryPopup because it's not a native function, nor based on a widget, (well, I'm sure there are popup widgets for somethnig) and therefore justifies having a price tag.

I was making a point to the OP that wants / would use BP, but refuses to pay for it. Thinking that he/she is entitled to a free version of the app for life is just annoying, and frustrating to see as someone who knows what it's like to live off of a fluctuating low income.
    But what if, now I don't know the OP, but what if his/her case was the same as many other's and not able to buy every app he/she wanted. Many require credit cards, paypal and not everyone has the ability to purchase things like that. It would be so awesome to be able to purchase things like iTunes cards for purchasing apps and stuff, but that's up to RIM and not the developers. And I think those prepaid Visa giftcards that you can buy at grocery stores and such, are usable as an alternative for credit cards, haven't used one so can't say it works.
    And, he/she does have the free version to choose from, so not really anything else we can do but let them decide. And yes I see how frustrating it can be, I'm sure everyone is in the same situation worldwide, be it a 3rd world country or whatever, economy isn't getting better and the few lucky ones aren't going to be sufficient for someone to make a living off of things like this. It's the problem of the materialistic world. Money is evil
    And this community is for helping others, not to start arguments over nothing.
    05-17-10 12:24 PM
    Anyways back to the app...I do kinda like bepopup..I'm trying out the free trial from Bellshare - BerryPopup. And it seems great but it doesn't really work with crunch..its worth trying..see if its necessary for you

05-17-10 12:42 PM
    For the record, I doubt there will ever be a free app anything close to on par with BePopup.

Highly unlikely someone will put that much work into an app that is free and will require developer signing as well, especially when I'm sure Bellshare is selling quite a few copies of BePopup.
    05-17-10 12:49 PM
    Then why did you even make this thread? The only options you have all cost money. Which means there's a market for it. Which means why would someone make it for free when they could be making 5 bucks a pop for a copy of it?

You're going to be waiting a looooooooooong time for a free one.

Also, if you want it, and 5 bucks isn't going to break you, then it's not really unnecessary, but whatever. Your choice. At least my SMS' pop-up.
    I posted this thread because I wanted to know if there's such an app that is free. And not everybody make apps and make money, sometimes they make free app so people that can't afford paid apps will be able to get the same app.

05-17-10 01:37 PM
    The problem is that a lot of free apps are ad supported. An email/sms popup app can't really afford to be ad supported.

The other problem is that there are several popup apps already available, meaning a new developer taking this on seems a lot less likely.
    05-17-10 01:41 PM
    If you have a BB and can't afford the 2.50 apps upgrade to a flip phone you won't need the apps,its like having a beamer in your carport and no cash for gas
    05-21-10 09:27 AM
    ^^ That was my entire point. I'm glad I'm not the only one who can see it that way.
    05-21-10 10:02 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD