posted this in general, but thought this would be more appropriate.
    was just browsing the net to see what the current offerings for mobile IM clients were and I came across webmessenger.com. Now, I have seen this offering before, and have read good reviews on it, but the thing holding it back was that it was on a subscription basis($35 a year) while the competitors were a one time purchase. Well, that has all changed...it seems that in the last week or 2, the guys at webmessenger have decided to make their IM offering for consumers free of charge. I just thought I should share it with the people on this forum, as it is a damn cool application to get on your device for free!
    02-07-08 04:54 PM
    Will give it a shot but words like "trial" and "evaluation" are still showing up on their site...
    02-07-08 05:20 PM
    Hmmm that is probably due to the other products they have that are still on pay schemes(Message alerts and the enterprise editions of IM)... I have been using the free client, and there have been no instances where a trial was mentioned. I did read the customer service agreement, and it seems there is some sort of usage clause where they can terminate your account if you go over a certain amount of msgs, or ask you to upgrade to enterprise, but I believe this is to stop people from running Ad bots on their network I am guessing(As I will never go over 500 msgs a day, and If I on occasion do, I highly doubt they will catch it and ask me to upgrade, it is probably for people that consistently go over the usage limit... If you catch something like "trial" or "eval" still for the free product, let me know, as I am going under the impression that it is completely free.
    02-08-08 11:59 AM
    Does this only use your data plan like JiveTalk, or is it going to be billed as a text message like OZ?
    02-08-08 12:03 PM
    Its free I just took a look at it! Will try it. The one for pay or free to TRY is the Message Alerts.
    But Web Messenger is free.
    I'm sure it either uses data or text (either way I have unlimited plan).
    02-08-08 12:51 PM
    I gotta say, might be the first free IM app to give JiveTalk a run for its 29.99 (but time will tell how stable it is) so far, I like it.
    02-08-08 01:19 PM
    any news if this uses Text or Data?
    02-11-08 02:12 PM
    All data- this is from their website:

Instant Messages sent from the WebMessenger client do not constitute SMS messages, they use only the data channel, which in fact is used by your e-mails. Therefore, whatever plan you have for your e-mails will be used by WebMessenger IMs.
    02-11-08 02:19 PM
    *Beat me to it Chaz.... thanks*
    02-11-08 02:20 PM
    I just downloaded this application, but i can't log in. I went to the website, and tried the FAQ. I tried all different setting with no luck. I checked my APN and it is correct. What else should i do?
    02-11-08 04:09 PM
    I am getting a message 'cannot connect to server' when I try to log in.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-11-08 07:09 PM
    I have the exact same problems. I just uninstalled. I might need to break down and get jivetalk
    02-11-08 08:16 PM
    Although it is nice to have an app that has all of these IM clients in one...I have definitely been experiencing some serious problems over the past few hours doing some heavy testing......

Besides the fact that the UI is rather annoying to navigate (particularly to access new messages) it has crashed twice, crashed my pearl, and continuously throws errors on startup requiring me to go back and retrieve the password they gave me at registration, which apparently can't be changed. edit: it can...see Chaz post below.

At first installation, I could not connect, I decided to uninstall and re-download...which ended up working and I was able to connect. Don't know why this worked, but it did.

Overall, I would say useful, but needs some work in the usability dept.

just my 2cents
    Last edited by flyingnome; 02-12-08 at 06:51 PM. Reason: correction.....
    02-12-08 12:18 AM
    I reinstalled two times and still not connecting.
    Also password can't be changed.
    02-12-08 05:08 AM
    I am not having much luck either. That is a shame.
    02-12-08 09:08 AM
    I receive the server error also. Maybe, because it is free, everyone is getting and using the program and their servers are overloaded??
    02-12-08 10:11 AM
    I downloaded it for my 8310 Curve and initially had the same problems connecting. After looking at the FAQ, I changed the server info from "login.WebMessenger.com" to "im.WebMessenger.com" and changed the port from 9000 to 443.

After doing that, I was able to connect and add my individual IM accounts and such.

Also, to the person complaining about not being able to changed your account password, that bugged me as well but after some fishing around on their site, I found that I was able to login to my account on the website and change my password from the initial one given to me by the auto-email to something more familiar to me. Give it a shot if you're still trying to use this program.

I've only played with it over the course of this afternoon but I was able to get my Yahoo, MSN, and AIM accounts up and functioning correctly and so far, it's been a great program for the price!
    02-12-08 02:41 PM
    I changed the server info and port as posted.
    I was able to change the password also.
    I did a battery pull and its still not connecting.

02-12-08 06:06 PM
    Sorry to hear all this, It's been working great for me. and although I can't remember how I did it, I changed my password.
    02-12-08 06:17 PM
    Found it: On their site, go to "my account" and sign in... you can set up all your IM clients and change password.

Here's the website:
    https://www.webmessenger.com/index.htm
    Last edited by Chaz; 02-12-08 at 06:21 PM. Reason: addition
    02-12-08 06:19 PM
    Thanks for the tip....so, password is indeed change-able. Still having issues connecting, starting-up, and navigating the interface.

why would they make the scrolling wrap around from top to bottom and vice-versa...? so annoying.

but again, FREE.
    02-12-08 06:54 PM
    Wonder when it would work for me.
    I changed my pw and changed the port etc and still no luck.

02-12-08 07:06 PM
    Im still having no luck as well.. im uninstalling it sorry
    02-12-08 08:09 PM
    man, I can't get this to work either. Strike 2 as I can't get Opera to work either.
    02-12-08 08:53 PM
    HELP PLEASE!

Half way through downloading, I get the following error:

"Download Failed."

"907 Invalid COD. Unable to import ZIP file."

Anyone know how to correct this? I am trying to install using the OTA link.

Thanks in advance.
    02-12-08 09:35 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD