I have looked around a bit and can't get a really clear answer about gv and outbound calls. If I'm on tmobile and place a call over gv using the google app, will I still be charged. I have tried turning off my mobile network and made a call over wifi this way but I don't know if I'm being charged minutes. Anyone with definitive info would be greatly appreciated.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-15-10 03:07 PM
    Yes. the google voice app calls a server or something with your mobile number, and the call is then routed out as your google voice number.
    06-15-10 04:39 PM
    any idea how much data it uses per minute?
    06-15-10 11:07 PM
    It doesn't use data. It uses minutes.
    1 minute per minute

06-15-10 11:18 PM
    Google Voice just dials an access number and routes your call through. No savings UNLESS you have a calling circle plan like Verizon's friends & family.

Here's how I work it:

I added my GV number to f&f so I can call it for free. When GV answers, I enter my PIN, pause, 2 to signify outgoing call, pause, then the number I want to call.

You can program the full string with pauses for frequently dialed numbers as an address book entry. I use the CardKaller app, which was designed for use with phone cards but also allows one-click routing through GV.

Of course, it all hinges on a calling circle plan that lets you add your GV number.

Last edited by rlmesq; 07-17-10 at 11:23 PM.
    06-15-10 11:51 PM
    Thanks for the info all. I guess google voice isn't as grandiose as I believed it to be. I guess I'll keep it, for I might have access to an unlimited number in the future. What about line2, does anyone have any experience with it?

06-16-10 10:06 AM
    oh i thought it used pure data for calls

when it calls the access number, does it call any number in US or use a number from the same area code?
    06-17-10 12:05 AM
    Mine uses a 916 (Sacramento) area code and I'm in the Bay Area. It doesn't matter really since Long Distance isn't extra.

GV won't make free phone calls, but it WILL do free SMS and Visual Voicemail...
    06-17-10 12:14 AM
    So if I add that 916 number to my friends and family I'll get free out goin calls, rite?

06-17-10 01:06 AM
    I'm not sure it dials the same access number every time. If you want to add your own Google Voice number to F&F, here's how to set up an address book entry to always dual via GV.

G=your 10 digit GV number
    N=the number you want to call
    X=your GV PIN
    p=pause

*82GGGGGGGGGGppXXXXpp2ppNNNNNNNNNN#

*82 sends your caller ID if it's blocked. 2 tells GV you want to call out. If you have GV set to not require a PIN if you're calling from a recognized phone, drop the PIN and two pauses from the string.

As I mentioned, CardKaller will add the string to any number in your address book, entered on your phone screen or even in an SMS or email. Just hit the menu button. You can even have multiple GV numbers and calling cards.

Last edited by rlmesq; 07-17-10 at 11:24 PM.
    06-17-10 09:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD