Well... I've seen some half *** attempts at it, so I figure i'll make it full fledged. A mobile app store for the Storm and the storm ONLY. Also to include only FREE apps.

Why?
    While details on the official BB app store are yet to be released, we know for a fact it's going to cost developers money to list their apps in the app store. The likelihood of free apps being listed are going to be very slim.

What?
    It'll be available on a mobile website, similar to the mobile version of the crackberry app store initially. Eventually I would like it to be it's own stand alone app.

Now... for the developers or aspiring developers out there! When it comes to websites, databases and web programming. I'm covered, but when it comes to developing apps, i'm still a little lost. It took me a week to get my Hello World app working. If any developers may be interested in making a joint venture, then perhaps a more streamlined app can be developed to pull the apps from the app store. There will be a web interface for developers to submit apps for addition into the store, initially I will search deep into the interwebs for OTA programs to add. Essentially I do want something similar to the iPhones app store... once we get that framework up we can work making it unique to the storm. It'll be worth your time and you will get full credit for it. We will have to work out splitting donations (likely 50/50) should any donations be received.

Developers will be able to place their donation links on the app information pages as well as their own customized description of the app. I'll have to check into it but I do believe paypal accepts mobile payments now. (To be used for donations)

More details will be discussed when those are figured out. Perhaps i'll post a thread in the developers forum as well, but for now I want your opinions.

If you even think it's worth the effort.... or perhaps im blind and it's already been done.

The only ones i've come across are general BB stores not storm specific and many of them include primarily paid apps.
    02-25-09 09:23 PM
    Can you make a stable and constant delivery system? Can you make it appealing enough to keep pl interesting
    02-25-09 09:56 PM
    as nice as an app sounds, I would be happy with a well organized website with free storm only apps.
    02-25-09 09:57 PM
    I think this would be a really good idea and something I've been hoping for ever since I got
    The storm

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-25-09 10:21 PM
    Great idea. I would like to see it as an app.

DMG? Where are you?
    02-25-09 10:28 PM
    Well based on the current comments it seems as if it would be worthwhile. I'll begin work on it tonight, as I said starting with a mobile website. Design/functionality is always a key thing to me when it comes to developing websites. It has to look pretty as well as delivering everything in a stable and easy to use way.

Expect to see a beta version in the next couple of day's. Perhaps sooner if I get working really hard.

It would be nice to have a developer in on this to help with the app development. As I would need to consult with them to decide what the best delivery method to the app would be and find out how the app will interface with the site. Etc. Technical stuff you guys don't need to worry about.

I'll be sure to register a dedicated domain for it as well... It's out of pocket expense, but I feel as if it's worth it. I guess this means I am a true crackberry addict now, lol.
    02-25-09 10:53 PM
    Good idea...
    02-25-09 11:42 PM
    Good Idea...
    I've got one...
    Try m.stormblog.net from your STORM
    02-26-09 02:17 AM
    You could make it ad supported and. Maybe sell full versions of trials. I would love something like this especially specific to the storm. So many sited claim storm compatible for apps and games that are far from it.
    02-26-09 02:31 AM
    Sounds good.
    02-26-09 02:34 AM
    Good Idea...
    I've got one...
    Try m.stormblog.net from your STORM
    It's got the general idea... just a couple problems:
    - It's french.
    - Not very pretty to look at.
    - From what I can see, developers cant submit apps.
    - Doesn't quite follow the idea of turning it into a smooth flowing app.
    Not to downplay it as it's a great resource. Just not quite what i'm aiming at.

The idea above about offering trials and selling the full versions would be useless once the official app store releases. I appreciate the ideas to help fund the project, but that would defeat the purpose of rims app store and the already well organized mobile crackberry app store.

I will not be making it ad supported. It just clutters things up. It'll be strictly donation only.
    02-26-09 04:01 AM
    your talking like BerryStore
    02-26-09 07:01 AM
    your talking like BerryStore
    just downloaded that app...pretty cool stuff
    02-26-09 07:55 AM
    yeah i don't want to hijack ravr's thread, but i did find that the other day, has potential, but far from "awesome" though...lol
    02-26-09 07:57 AM
    First of all, great idea, a Storm only store would be awesome. B/c lets be honest the Storm stands alone against the other blackberries in its ability with the touch screen. Here are my thoughts after using the berry store app.

Here are some ideas to make it better or 1 up them:
    1. I know there are so many more apps out there that aren't in their database (doesn't seem like there has been an update in a while, but it still a beta so who knows)
    2. I'd like to know the compatibility of each particular app with my phone. (Hence Storm only)

Stuff I like about berry store:
    1. The have a quick description of all apps they list
    2. Offer reviews from others who have downloaded the app
    3. It itself is an app itself.
    4. Not sure if this actually works...but it says you can uninstall any app that you download from their store.

So if a new Storm store was being developed these are the things I would like to see.
    02-26-09 08:08 AM
    This, to me, is a tremendous idea. Eliminates the need to sift through dozens of threads to find the latest free Storm-specific apps. Cheers to you, and I am certain you will have countless folks willing to help out with the process (myself included).
    02-26-09 09:25 AM
    This would be a great! Easy way to find Storm-specific apps!
    02-26-09 09:32 AM
    I run a small webhost and I would love to help get this started

And anyone who needs a place to host some otas let me know

02-26-09 10:11 AM
    yes im well up for this! i think however it would have to be released soon because of the RIM App Store thing.
    02-26-09 10:49 AM
    Sounds like a fantastic idea
    02-26-09 12:37 PM
    Not really since they are mostly going to be paid

02-26-09 01:19 PM
    we should try to donate enough that you can put the free app store app on the blackberry app store.

I like this idea but depending on how much blackberry is going to charge to add your app to the store, maybe a similar app with cheap games and apps would be good too? It might allow the developer to charge less for the game and bypass the RIM fee.
    02-26-09 02:59 PM
    keep me updated
    03-01-09 04:05 PM
    Obviously something will need to fill this void, but why depend on a web developer to approve apps?

<begin cross posted part>
    Just as a lark I made a wiki template on a currently defunct blackberry wiki at wikia. The nice thing about doing it this way is that people can comment on talk pages about apps, and it will automatically categorize new apps by developer and type.

StormSlider sample page

</end cross posted part>

Also doesn't depend on ads/donations to maintain the site. If I can get .jad allowed as an uploadable extension then nobody needs to host the OTA either.
    Last edited by gahoo; 03-01-09 at 06:53 PM.
    03-01-09 06:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD