I quit trying to get bolt
    opera mini was wayyyyyyy easier to get
    Bitstream has issues they fail to address

even firefox has downloads that work
    06-01-10 10:15 AM
    Go Bolt ! you won't go back , lol
    06-01-10 12:31 PM
    I had it on my phone since yesterday and sorry not impressed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-10 01:18 PM
    Ok personally, I've found bolt as the best. But here are it's downfalls. And to me they are pretty major, since I just switched from longtime bolt user to opera mini. First and foremost, it is the ONLY app that I use that doesn't respond to my right hand button which is quicklauncher. That upsets me a lot. Secondly. Looks like opera is far faster, believe it or not, for me. I'm using a bb tour, and opera is loading way faster. Opera's tabbing is faster. Bolt, for me seems to give me the hourglass all the time. Third- I navigate forums often, and on bolt it seems to often forget that I click a topic, because it just reloads a page, this is random behavior.

Maybe ill go back to bolt, but I was actually floored after using bolt for so long that the opera browser is actually waaaay better. The one only thing I have against opera mini right now is that the "mouse arrow" doesn't lock on to links like bolt does.

06-01-10 08:51 PM
    Ok personally, I've found bolt as the best. But here are it's downfalls. And to me they are pretty major, since I just switched from longtime bolt user to opera mini. First and foremost, it is the ONLY app that I use that doesn't respond to my right hand button which is quicklauncher. That upsets me a lot. Secondly. Looks like opera is far faster, believe it or not, for me. I'm using a bb tour, and opera is loading way faster. Opera's tabbing is faster. Bolt, for me seems to give me the hourglass all the time. Third- I navigate forums often, and on bolt it seems to often forget that I click a topic, because it just reloads a page, this is random behavior.

Maybe ill go back to bolt, but I was actually floored after using bolt for so long that the opera browser is actually waaaay better. The one only thing I have against opera mini right now is that the "mouse arrow" doesn't lock on to links like bolt does.

Isn't that enough ? LoL
    Last edited by DavidNC; 06-02-10 at 06:52 AM. Reason: added LoL
    06-02-10 06:50 AM
    Ugh, I now have three 3rd party browsers, and I really can't get a rid of any of them. For whatever reason, one of them will just decide not to work:

Bolt - The infamous "20% loading" error. Still happens from time to time. Also, Bolt can be pretty fast and does the best job displaying full pages on one screen, but if you have drag down boxes, etc. they sometimes won't work properly in Bolt.

OperaMini 5 - Nicer looking than Bolt, and does a better job handling button bars, but often will refuse to load pages altogether. Can be akward to navigate, also.

uZard Web - The new option still in Beta...I'm impressed with it and it does the best job of the three at rendering pages like you'd see on a computer. Also, it's not too difficult to navigate if you leave the scrolling up to the 2-4-6-8 buttons and do fine clicking with the track pad. The problem is that the add takes a little while to boot up, and while it is very fast once loaded, I think it needs to be EITHER on WiFi or BIS. In other words, if you have WiFi enabled and you leave your WiFi reception area, I don't think that it tries to use the BIS/3G network instead.
    06-02-10 09:48 AM
    What makes Bolt unusable for me is the way it renders paragraphs. Opera does a great job making sure the text fits the screen so you are not sliding left and right to read a passage.

For those having trackpad issues in Opera, have you tried downloading the latest build? There was a silent upgrade about 2 weeks ago that drastically improved the mouse movement.
    06-02-10 11:27 AM
    Ok well after using opera a lot, I've found it sometimes his a white screen leaving me completely pissed. Back to bolt. I switched to socket mode for connection, but it is a huge bummer about the quicklauncher "bug". Pisses me off. Ill stick w it for now but it is disconcerting. Also noticing bolt is having random "socketio" errors. Guess we can't win, at least for now. if opera fixes this white screen issue and makes the mouse either smooth as bb browser or locked down like bolt, I will totally stick to it, over bolt. Bolt needs the literal app loadtime down as well, closing it takes a good 10 seconds too which is upsetting.

Frustrated,
    Ron c

06-02-10 04:25 PM
    I had the same white screen before I upgraded to the newest Opera; hasn't happened since upgrading 2 weeks ago. Have you downloaded within the last week?

06-02-10 06:16 PM
    Yes actually I have.... Strange. using 5.0.19692

Ron c

06-02-10 06:55 PM
    Anyone else having issues with the Bolt plugin since upgrading? Ever since I switched to 2.1, it's hit or miss whether it'll open links in Bolt or the BB browser. Tried removing & reinstalling the plugin, and the plugin & Bolt, but it doesn't help any.
    06-02-10 09:15 PM
    5 mins of testing (clearly not conclusive or authoritative!):

Quick easy install from boltbrowser.com, clicking link for blackberry-specific version on my 8900.

Not sure what all the raves are about? Doesn't feel especially quick to me, even connect via UMA (which is very fast). I tried loading Crackberry.com, and found it unreadable. I tried a couple of settings changes -- 2x Large and Desktop view is almost OK. But I don't like the font it uses to render the page -- hard to read and not especially attractive.

On my commute to / from NYC (from Princeton Junction, NJ) on the train, I've gotten used to using Opera Mini 5 on my 8900, and it renders beautifully and seems just as fast....

I'll try this some more tomorrow during the day, but my initial impression is that it's still not quite as pleasant or polished to use as Opera Mini is...
    06-02-10 10:31 PM
    got a link to the zip download
    now to install bolt and see if it was worth the trouble
    06-03-10 09:25 AM
    Bolt doesn't do a very good job of loading CrackBerry.com Forums mobile version. The heading is off to the right side. It also doesn't load the pages fully. The bottom half of the page is blank. I have to scroll back to the top, then re scroll back down a 2nd time. After scrolling a 2nd time, content is there. Very annoying. It also takes too long to close the application.
    06-03-10 11:01 AM
    Tried to install Opera again last night. Saw no difference. The cursor still goes all over the place.

06-03-10 11:08 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD