Reading through these boards you see a lot of Griping about flick scrolling. Well I just recently installed the AP News App and Low and Behold it uses some form of Flick Scrolling. So that has me wondering why can't some one just create an app that gives the storm this ability? I have heard that Apple has some sort of copy right on this, but if that is the case how come the Palm Web OS seems to have it and how come the AP News app uses it or something like it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-09 09:32 AM
    Reading through these boards you see a lot of Griping about flick scrolling. Well I just recently installed the AP News App and Low and Behold it uses some form of Flick Scrolling. So that has me wondering why can't some one just create an app that gives the storm this ability? I have heard that Apple has some sort of copy right on this, but if that is the case how come the Palm Web OS seems to have it and how come the AP News app uses it or something like it?

Apple does not have a copyright. That being said, there is no way to get low-level enough access to the Storm OS to implement such a thing.
    05-31-09 09:35 AM
    I don't know if its "flik scrolling" but I've always noticed scrolling through my favorites in VZNav on my Storm works differntly then scrolling through Messages...

In VZNav, the faster I slide my thumb on the screen, the faster the my fav addresses list scrolls by... often times, if I'm not careful, its too fast and I get to the bottom (of about 35 locations) when I only wanted to go down about 6 or 7.

in messages, no matter how fast I swipe my thumb, I can't go more than one screen at a time.
    05-31-09 09:44 AM
    Gmail app does it too if you care

05-31-09 09:53 AM
    I don't know if its "flik scrolling" but I've always noticed scrolling through my favorites in VZNav on my Storm works differntly then scrolling through Messages...

In VZNav, the faster I slide my thumb on the screen, the faster the my fav addresses list scrolls by... often times, if I'm not careful, its too fast and I get to the bottom (of about 35 locations) when I only wanted to go down about 6 or 7. in messages, no matter how fast I swipe my thumb, I can't go more than one screen at a time.
    "acceloDex" ... scrolling speed according to the users finger speed; accelerometer based scrolling in landscape mode just by tilting device.

This is one app that really takes advantage of what appears to be some of the Storms inherent scrolling capabilities.
    Last edited by karlac; 05-31-09 at 10:09 AM. Reason: correct speeling error ... :)
    05-31-09 10:07 AM
    Even semi-dumb phones like the LG dare, and Samsung Instinct have flick scrolling.

I guess that's what happens when you make an OS for a touchscreen device (storm) based on an os for a trackball device (bold).
    05-31-09 10:13 AM
    I guess that's what happens when you make an OS for a touchscreen device (storm) based on an os for a trackball device (bold).
    Flick scrolling on the Storm can be implemented by an app developer (acceloDex, for one does it). It apparently is not implemented by RIM, system wide, in the OS or core apps, but that does not mean the capability is not there.

Apparently Apple has a patent on "multi-touch zooming", which is definitely one of the wow features of that other phone.
    05-31-09 10:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD