i've seen many different "flashlight" applications for the storm and other blackberry's but they all use the screen itself as a light, or the status LED as a light. i'm confused as to why no one has developed an app that uses the camera's built in flash.

i personally have already gone into the camera and hit the focus button just to get the flash to turn on on my storm because it is SO FREAKIN BRIGHT! it works amazing as a light. have i just missed such an application?

i'm aware that it would drain battery, but it would still be nice as an option because it would work better than anything else.
    12-23-08 12:55 PM
    that i a great idea. I'm sure that will come in time. the flash is pretty fricken bright. the pictures it can take at night are awesome!
    12-23-08 12:59 PM
    No such thing out yet. It would be awesome I agree.
    But u can do what we all do... Use one of the side buttons for quick access to the video camera...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-23-08 01:01 PM
    They have one, but it isnt free.
    12-23-08 01:02 PM
    I usually just go to the camera app and I have the light set to always on.
    12-23-08 01:03 PM
    Simple...

Set your video recorder to always have flash on...
    12-23-08 01:04 PM
    Go to the video camera and in the option change the light to always on. You can even set one of the convenience key to shortcut the video camera to get 1 touch flashlight

12-23-08 01:06 PM
    The reason why there haven't been any apps out is because RIM hasn't released the Application Dev tool yet.
    12-23-08 01:09 PM
    The reason why there haven't been any apps out is because RIM hasn't released the Application Dev tool yet.
    RIM has released the JDK for OS 4.7 before the Storm was released. There shouldn't be any excuses

12-23-08 01:46 PM
    yeah I think this would be a cool app as well.
    12-25-08 04:24 PM
    +1
    10 char.
    12-25-08 09:07 PM
    Simple...

Set your video recorder to always have flash on...
    Good in theory, but the problem is that the video recorder app freezes the Storm most of the time, requiring a battery pull.
    12-25-08 10:58 PM
    I heard that the dev tools are limited on what parts developers can access. The camera flash being one that can't be accessed.

12-25-08 11:26 PM
    I saw an app that said it used the status led.. How well does this work? What color does it use?

12-27-08 01:54 AM
    Good in theory, but the problem is that the video recorder app freezes the Storm most of the time, requiring a battery pull.
    Just a question - but why hasn't my BB ever froze other than the media card error coupled with the VZW screen on startup?

Sometimes I feel like the only one who has a stable, however slugish, OS.
    01-16-09 11:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD