I'm sorry for making another one of these "how can I track my berry?" posts, but I'm still a little unsure of something.

For BerryLocator (Berry Locator - Personal Productivity BlackBerry Software - Crackberry Store), which I'm thinking about buying ($7), does it still work completely - as in light up, beep really loud, flash its screen, and reply back with its GPS location, if the keyboard on the phone is locked?

I have my berry to where it automatically locks the keyboard (password protects it) after a short time of being idle. I've heard both that berrylocator no longer works if it is locked, and that it does work if it is locked. Which is correct? Obviously, it'd be of no use to me if it doesn't work when locked, and a waste of $7.

Also, does the BerryLocator app need to be running constantly, as I'd assume it does? If so, does it take up a lot of memory doing so? And, this one may be kind of stupid (sorry), but, Google Maps (which I do have) doesn't need to be running at the same time as BerryLocator in order for the GPS location to work, does it? Because I don't usually leave Google Maps on in the background, on account of battery power and all. I try to close everything I'm not using.

I just came across this, too: (GetItBack) Convenience Software

Think I should hold out for this or something?

Sorry for all of these questions. I'm a little new to the whole "tracking my phone" thing. Definitely seems neat though. Especially considering I'm considering paying almost $10 for the app.
    03-07-09 12:20 AM
    i just downloaded berry locater the other nite, and it works great! If I have mine in standby mode by holding my mute button in, it still flashes and goes off. Plus you can type in something that can be read by whoever has it if its actually lost. It also emails you the GPS coordinates. You can use any ringtone or sound for the alarm that goes off, and set to go off for up to 3 minutes! I use the most annoying sound I can find...lol they also have a free trial you can get before you buy. I did that and was impressed, so bought the app! Works great for me, cause I always have my phone on vibrate, and this overrides that and the alarm will go off regardless! No more losing your phone in house and looking for it cause you have it on vibrate! If yet the trial version, and see if its for you 1st. But you'll like it!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-07-09 08:03 AM
    Jonneh's questions about it running in the background (memory use) and the use of Google Maps are good ones, answers to which I'd like to find as well. Most importantly, does it indeed function with the BB locked? I expect it would...it would really have to. I keep my Bold set to lock after just a few minutes. Too much information in there if it were to fall into the wrong hands. That's the trouble with being a covert CIA operative. Oops...did I just say that?
    03-07-09 08:53 AM
    i just downloaded berry locater the other nite, and it works great! If I have mine in standby mode by holding my mute button in, it still flashes and goes off. Plus you can type in something that can be read by whoever has it if its actually lost. It also emails you the GPS coordinates. You can use any ringtone or sound for the alarm that goes off, and set to go off for up to 3 minutes! I use the most annoying sound I can find...lol they also have a free trial you can get before you buy. I did that and was impressed, so bought the app! Works great for me, cause I always have my phone on vibrate, and this overrides that and the alarm will go off regardless! No more losing your phone in house and looking for it cause you have it on vibrate! If yet the trial version, and see if its for you 1st. But you'll like it!

You sound pretty excited about it, so that's a good sign Good idea, maybe I'll try the trial version (I, for whatever reason, hadn't even seen that yet). Thanks. It definitely sounds neat.

Jonneh's questions about it running in the background (memory use) and the use of Google Maps are good ones, answers to which I'd like to find as well. Most importantly, does it indeed function with the BB locked? I expect it would...it would really have to. I keep my Bold set to lock after just a few minutes. Too much information in there if it were to fall into the wrong hands. That's the trouble with being a covert CIA operative. Oops...did I just say that?
    Hahaha yes, thank you. I hope those questions get answered as well. Since there's supposedly a trial version, maybe I'll try that out real quick for free and see if it does everything. Although since it'd be a trial, maybe some of the features will be cut/disabled making them untestable. Well, whatever I find, I'll post here, so stay tuned.
    03-07-09 10:02 AM
    Okay, I just locked my BB and sent it the e-mail. Almost immediately, it started beeping, flashing and vibrating. The text message wouldn't display since it was locked and needed the password first, but it did what it was supposed to do. It sent the e-mail notices and was even able to activate the GPS (email said GPS was accurate tp under 18 meters). The map showed the correct location, so it looks like it works even when locked.
    03-07-09 10:29 AM
    I downloaded berry locater also and it works great! I have actually used it twice because I couldnt find my Berry in my house and the phone was on silent. Kept calling it and of course couldn't hear it. And then my wife asked me if I bought some stupid program for my phone just for this? (She thinks I am ate up with it when it comes to my phone)

So I emailed my secret word and low and behold it starts vibrating and going crazy and I found it!

The GPS part of it is cool too, although for me inside buildings is kind of hit and miss...I would say 50% of the time, the GPS coordinates were right on.

Not a fault of the program, just no line of site to sats.

You will like it.

EDIT:

One thing though, and through trial and error and emailing customer support on the issue, I have found that the message you email to your phone to show on screen must be sent as plain text. If you send an html email the only thing showed on screen is the OK button. No big deal, just remember to send your message as plain text.
    Last edited by UPEngineer; 03-07-09 at 10:32 AM.
    03-07-09 10:30 AM
    Thanks for the good info on berry locator. I'm thinking I'll have to check it out.

As far as locating via google maps/lattitude: for this to work you CAN close out of the maps portion but you DO have to leave the locator running in the background. The user is given this option every time you close GM. I haven't done this myself for a long enough time to give any good info on impact on battery life.

03-07-09 10:43 AM
    Hmm, interesting. So all of it works when locked EXCEPT it can't show the message you type on the screen because it is locked and password protected. Does anyone know a way around this, or a different, similar program that DOES allow this? Or is it not possible?

It's just that I always have my phone lock automatically after, like, 20 seconds.
    03-07-09 11:11 AM
    Hmm, okay the trial is pretty cool. I have a really annoying alarm sound going off when I email the phrase to me, and it flashes red & blue and the screen flashes white. (red, white and blue. how patriotic of my berry!) However, I can't seem to get it to reply back to my e-mail with GPS coordinates, even with Google Maps up and running perfectly fine (has my location within 3meters). Anyone able to help? Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Or, is it that the trial version doesn't send GPS back to you? Whoops, didn't think of that.
    03-07-09 11:30 AM
    It doesn't take up any more battery life than your phone has without it. Great product! It could be the trial version doesn't give the GPS, as I didn't even check that....lol once it started going off and ringing, and my message was on screen I was hooked....lol

03-07-09 11:49 AM
    Hmm, okay the trial is pretty cool. I have a really annoying alarm sound going off when I email the phrase to me, and it flashes red & blue and the screen flashes white. (red, white and blue. how patriotic of my berry!) However, I can't seem to get it to reply back to my e-mail with GPS coordinates, even with Google Maps up and running perfectly fine (has my location within 3meters). Anyone able to help? Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Or, is it that the trial version doesn't send GPS back to you? Whoops, didn't think of that.
    One thing to try is this....I found my email back always went to my junk folder...don't know why. You might check that.
    03-07-09 12:03 PM
    One thing to try is this....I found my email back always went to my junk folder...don't know why. You might check that.
    Nope, it's not there in my g-mail spam folder. Hmm, maybe it's just that the trial doesn't do the GPS part. If I buy the full thing, I'll test it out.
    03-07-09 03:48 PM
    Here's what I received minutes ago from the makers of Berry Locator:

Hi,

Berry Locator will still alarm and try to send a map if it is locked,
    but it won't be able to display the body of the email message.

It does run continually in the background, but consumes very little
    resources and does not significantly affect battery life.

You don't need any other mapping software on the device. It only
    tries to access the gps when you send the email. It is not
    continually updating. If we were to continually update, it would
    drain the battery in a few hours.

If you want to try it, there is a free trial at Pimp My Pearl : Color your Trackball on your BlackBerry Pearl

Best, Julie
    Pimp My Pearl : Color your Trackball on your BlackBerry Pearl
    Last edited by w_bovine; 03-08-09 at 11:32 PM.
    03-08-09 11:30 PM
    I use Getitback, it works much the same way as Berry Locator from what I'm reading. It also let's you see if the phone is locked or unlocked and you have the option to lock it remotely. It also shows you the sim card number in case they switch sim cards to help you find the A** that has it. Currently running v3.0 a new version 4.o was due out weeks ago in Jan. now pushed to March but nothing yet.
    Apparently the new version will allow a remote wipe if needed.

Convenience Software
    03-09-09 12:06 AM
    Quick ? - If I download this and switch phones down the road, can this be transferred to a different phone? This app will save to my comp doing a basic backup?

What if your phone is turned off/battery goes dead? - will it still show on the map where your phone is?

Thanks
    03-09-09 02:51 AM
    I use Getitback, it works much the same way as Berry Locator from what I'm reading. It also let's you see if the phone is locked or unlocked and you have the option to lock it remotely. It also shows you the sim card number in case they switch sim cards to help you find the A** that has it. Currently running v3.0 a new version 4.o was due out weeks ago in Jan. now pushed to March but nothing yet.
    Apparently the new version will allow a remote wipe if needed.

Convenience Software
    Yep...aware of this one as well and it looks intriguing, but I didn't see where one could even download the current version to give it a test run. Signed up for notification of the next release. And I sure wish they'd ditch that awful music on their site...
    03-09-09 06:07 PM
    Yea I just downloaded the free trail, however I like how the other ones new version will let you wipe your phone. I have insurance on the phone not on the Data.

03-09-09 09:52 PM
    One problem
    After screen blink is complete ,Its not showing retrieval message.
    keylock is not engaged

update
    I sent alert with device in magnetic holster case , pulled out , pressed (OK) and retrieval message was displayed as should be.

When not using magnetic holster case retrieval message is not had when (OK) tab is selected grrr
    Last edited by Slingbox; 03-10-09 at 01:01 AM.
    03-09-09 11:08 PM

I dl'd the trial version and didn't get a GPS message either. It could be that the trial version leaves you wanting more so you end up buying it. haha.
    03-10-09 01:09 AM
    I love the program, but just a word of caution if your GPS is crippled - for instance, I have the Curve & VZ Wireless -- the GPS will not be enabled for BerryLocator. If VZ can unlock the GPS for BB Maps, why can't they do it for this?
    I still have the program, because it's worth the cost to be able to find my BB when I lose it in a coat pocket or couch cusion.
    Last edited by TeriG123; 08-19-09 at 02:17 PM.
    03-10-09 03:41 PM
    I love the program, but just a word of caution if your GPS is crippled - for instance, I have the Curve & VZ Wireless -- the GPS will not be enabled for BerryLocator. If VZ can unlock the GPS for BB Maps, why can't they do it for this?
    I still have the program, because it's worth the cost to be able to find my BB when I lose it in a coat pocket or coach cusion.
    You lose track of your BlackBerry?! HORRORS!
    And the hobbled GPS is one reason why I said goodbye to Verizon...
    03-10-09 04:50 PM
    Berry Locator doesn't seem to be Sprint / Verizon 8330 4.5 user feature friendly.
    Ive tested on 1 Verizon & 3 Sprint 8330s running 4.5 finding that key features of app didn't work as advertised ,The App alert tone could not be changed or tested and Vibrate does not turn on when device goes into alert mode.

Ive emailed developer making them aware of issues.
    Last edited by Slingbox; 03-13-09 at 12:03 PM.
    03-12-09 05:54 PM
    Yep...aware of this one as well and it looks intriguing, but I didn't see where one could even download the current version to give it a test run. Signed up for notification of the next release. And I sure wish they'd ditch that awful music on their site...
    Yeah I noticed that they took down the trial. Did a search and found that sofpedia has a mirror with it still active.
    GetItBack download for Blackberry - Softpedia

Hope it helps...
    alex
    03-12-09 09:51 PM
    Can any of you comment on the size in K this is on your Berry either 3.0 or 4.0? Does anyone have 4.0 yet?
    05-12-09 11:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD