It does look like the 160 char limit has been fixed. It now breaks up long messages into <=160 char messages-a nice feature. The aeshetic bug for 4 digit times has also been fixed.

Unfortunately the double notification remains.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-21-09 12:09 PM
    Been trying out 3jam. I find it clumsy and awkward and the double notifications is annoying.
    01-21-09 01:07 PM
    This is all very true, and I DO agree with you - I have been using your app all day today while at work, and I love it!

Along with the "counter-productive" issue everyone else is mentioning, I'd also like to point out that while there are new messages sitting in the SMS or Messages inboxes on your Berry. Don't forget that the Red light is also blinking, if you've enabled it to do so.

I now a lot of people who go by this indicator light, including myself.

So while the program does vibrate, and pop up a new message so that you won't necessarilly miss anything, I find myself constantly looking for a red notification light throughout the day, which I KNOW many others do as well....if it is constantly on (because you're not deleting the new messages from your inbox or sms folder) this is somewhat frusturating.

Again, like I said, the program does vib and pop up new messages, so you're not going to mis anything...but the red light issue is just annoying.

Now, with that said...this is a great program. Once RIM gives you the info you require to put out an update to work around these issues, you're going to sell this prog like hot cakes!

I think a 7 day trial is a bit lacking, and $20 for the prog is a bit much for what it can do now....for that reason unfortunately, I won't be buying the program once the trial ends, even though I'd like to continue using it. would agree with this pricing option only if the above mentioned issues were fixed, with RIM's approval.

My 2 cents. Thanks!!

Thanks for the input, everyone. May I ask if you've tried the app?

I understand that deleting or marking messages in the native SMS app as read is a pain but many users have found that they simply ignore the new message indicator in the native SMS app once you start using the threaded app. Why? Because that indicator is no longer relevant. You won't miss any messages because the popup tells you when you have a message, and the thread list show if you have unread messages in it.

Why is there no need to delete the "read" messages in the native SMS app? Because the BB will delete them from the native SMS app as you need space. That's why older (or even new) messages sometimes seem to "disappear" automatically, which is not a good thing when you want to refer to specific SMS messages and you realize that they're not there any more.

We have many users who, at first, point out the issue you mention, but they love the app once they try it because it totally changes the way you send and receive messages - it's so much faster and more efficient.

Please give it a shot for a few days and if you don't think it adds any value, it's easily un-installable. But I think you'll see what I mean once you try it!

BTW, we *are* still working hard to talk to RIM and see if we can get internal API access to the status bar

Thanks,
    Enlai
    01-21-09 02:46 PM
    ...Along with the "counter-productive" issue everyone else is mentioning, I'd also like to point out that while there are new messages sitting in the SMS or Messages inboxes on your Berry. Don't forget that the Red light is also blinking, if you've enabled it to do so.

I now a lot of people who go by this indicator light, including myself.

So while the program does vibrate, and pop up a new message so that you won't necessarilly miss anything, I find myself constantly looking for a red notification light throughout the day, which I KNOW many others do as well....if it is constantly on (because you're not deleting the new messages from your inbox or sms folder) this is somewhat frusturating.
    One workaround is to turn the LED notification for SMS Text off in the active Profile.
    01-21-09 03:53 PM
    One workaround is to turn the LED notification for SMS Text off in the active Profile.
    I think his point, and mine, is you shouldn't have to have a 'work around' for a $20 app; it should just work.
    01-21-09 08:03 PM
    I agree and will trial BBText2IM before I pay for either of these apps that are crippled by the limitations of the BB API. As much as I hate the BB SMS interface, not sure I want to pay for anything crippled either. I was just passing on some workaround info.

FWIW, I am not at all affiliated with 3Jam or BBText2IM. I just got an email last night about the new version so thought I should post it for others.

01-21-09 08:17 PM
    You're partially right ... My point, really, is that a lot of power CB users rely on something as miniscule as a little red flashing light, to let them know if they have a new notification. Turning the light off, for me, is not an option. So the issue here is that although there are popup notifications which ensure you'll never miss a message...I don't know if a new message has come in, since the light is constantly blinking red from the uncleared messages in your sms folder.

Obviously, you can clear the message out manually, but if I am doing that, than I might as well turn the backlight on everytime I check for a new message - rather than relying on the red flashing light ... See my point?

The BlackBerry is marketed to a corporate world, which I live...in this world there often just simply isint time to manually check for new notifications...hence why the light is so darn crucial! Although some don't use it, for me at least in this case its a lose lose situation with this app until RIM let's the devs in on their api's.

Once this is done, I would pay $15 at best for its features, as it is unique, gets the job done, and seemed to be reliable without memory loss, crashing, etc...and trust me, I put it to heavy use today !!

Thanks guys - hope to be buying a copy of the app in the future!

Michael

Ps...just got a new 8830WE from Insurion (insurance company) today... And the keyboard is VERY fresh and still alittle firm!!! My thumbs are kinda sore already from typing just this ONE post!! Lol...it is shiny and purty tho, and the trackball is so bright! Gaah!!

I think his point, and mine, is you shouldn't have to have a 'work around' for a $20 app; it should just work.
    01-21-09 10:10 PM
    I am very new to the BB life and while looking for appropriate apps, I keep seeing apps that can not be made to work well because of BB imposed limitations.

My question is, with the coming of the BB app store, do you think RIM will be more giving to the app developers?
    01-22-09 12:45 AM
    I'd hope so but doubt it anywhere "security" might be an issue. Plus, I think RIM is still learning how to build and market a consumer device given their business-oriented history. I don't think they "get it" yet.
    01-22-09 08:44 AM
    I am very new to the BB life and while looking for appropriate apps, I keep seeing apps that can not be made to work well because of BB imposed limitations.

My question is, with the coming of the BB app store, do you think RIM will be more giving to the app developers?
    I don't see how they could open up an effective app store without releasing more of the API. Hopefully they will learn from Apples mistakes, in relation to the app store.
    01-22-09 09:32 AM
    Can one anyone take a screen shot of what the app looks like?
    02-08-09 07:41 PM
    02-08-09 09:56 PM
    Can one anyone take a screen shot of what the app looks like?
    lol.. lazy!

What do you guys think about

BBText2IM SMS Instant Messenger : Handango

it's 9.99 and might be similar to 3Jam
    03-30-09 02:31 PM
    I like on the screenshots for 3jam you can see the new message indicator with 807 unread messages, LOL.

Once RIM allows you to change the indications I will try it. Just seems way too annoying to mess with.
    04-06-09 10:29 AM
    yeah i agree. I will be waiting to buy the program once RIM gives them the code.
    04-06-09 12:40 PM
    Has there been an update to this?????? This app has soo much potential.
    04-21-09 03:12 PM
    that app sucks
    08-24-09 02:41 PM
    Can. Not. Stand. Having. Uncleared. Notifications.

This is whyyyyy native threaded messaging is so highly anticipated. Palm had this one right, BlackBerry - GET IT TOGETHER.
    08-24-09 04:53 PM
    If you want a threaded SMS product that has been on the market for well over a year, plus the ability to encrypt you messages, take a look at www . kryptosms . com
    11-20-09 10:11 AM
    Im so glad somebody finally has an answer to BB's unsatisfactory Mass SMS features. I do not have internet on my blackberry but would still like to try this mass texting app. Is there a way to transfer the app via USB cable?

Thanks!
    12-04-09 02:14 PM
95 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD