I saw posts about these 2 apps but didn't see them on my phone, even after a restart. Seems that they only came through after a quickpull. Also, most people are saying there is no way to delete these icons and you need to 'hide' them.

I decided to install the songID app because I wanted to try it out. The instructions say to place the phone near the speaker for 10 seconds so it can listen to song. I tried playing 2 songs from youtube on my computer, (one uncommon song and then Uptown girls from Billy Joel) and the app just said "Listening!" throughout the ENTIRE songs, which were both over 3 minutes. I had enough and decided this app is crap lol

So I went to Options>Advanced>Applications and deleted SongID. Then I checked my homescreen and the app was gone! So I did the same with VZW Tones and that's gone too.

So in order to delete the icons, you need to install the apps and then uninstall them.

**Update: Nevermind... The icons come back after restarting. I even tried deleting the service books and again they came back after a restart.

Sorry for the false Hope!
    Last edited by Mweiss1215; 06-27-09 at 10:58 AM.
    06-27-09 10:44 AM
    ya once you do a battery pull they will be there again. they are the same thing as all those IM icons. they cant be deleted!
    06-27-09 10:53 AM
    ya once you do a battery pull they will be there again. they are the same thing as all those IM icons. they cant be deleted!
    yes they will return...
    06-27-09 10:59 AM
    Also, in case you are interested in making song id work, you have to change the permissions for everything to "Allow". It will work properly then. Before I made the changes, mine also just kept listening. Once I set everything to Allow as people in other threads stated, it worked after 10-15 seconds of listening.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-27-09 11:41 AM
    Also, in case you are interested in making song id work, you have to change the permissions for everything to "Allow". It will work properly then. Before I made the changes, mine also just kept listening. Once I set everything to Allow as people in other threads stated, it worked after 10-15 seconds of listening.

Ahh thanks for the tip!! Ill try it again
    06-27-09 12:08 PM

This.

06-27-09 02:06 PM
    Just hide the icons and forget Verizon ever pushed these out to our phones.
    06-27-09 10:31 PM
    [
    **Update: Nevermind... The icons come back after restarting. I even tried deleting the service books and again they came back after a restart.

Sorry for the false Hope![/QUOTE]

Never had any false hopes, but I was wondering how long it would take you to figure it out. You were much faster than I thought you would be.
    06-27-09 10:40 PM
    I saw posts about these 2 apps but didn't see them on my phone, even after a restart. Seems that they only came through after a quickpull. Also, most people are saying there is no way to delete these icons and you need to 'hide' them.

I decided to install the songID app because I wanted to try it out. The instructions say to place the phone near the speaker for 10 seconds so it can listen to song. I tried playing 2 songs from youtube on my computer, (one uncommon song and then Uptown girls from Billy Joel) and the app just said "Listening!" throughout the ENTIRE songs, which were both over 3 minutes. I had enough and decided this app is crap lol

So I went to Options>Advanced>Applications and deleted SongID. Then I checked my homescreen and the app was gone! So I did the same with VZW Tones and that's gone too.

So in order to delete the icons, you need to install the apps and then uninstall them.

Sorry for the false Hope!
    Well I have successfully removed the VzwTones and the VCast Song ID web link icons from my Storm. I did this by selecting the Options/Advanced/Service Book/VPL VZW Tones [BrowserConfig] and then select the Menu button and delete. You can use this same process for any of the items that you do not want to show up. I have also removed the Instant Messaging icons as well as Flickr, Google Talk and AIM. I have even restarted my Storm several times to make sure they did not reappear! It works!!!
    07-03-09 02:50 PM
    Sure seems to work. Nice find.
    07-03-09 02:56 PM
    Sure seems to work. Nice find.
    Does this have any negative effect??
    07-03-09 11:56 PM
    Does this have any negative effect??
    Only negative effect would be you would no longer have them displayed on your phone (which in this case would not be a negative at all), if you really want them back just resend your service books and they will be there again.
    07-04-09 02:24 AM
    Well I have successfully removed the VzwTones and the VCast Song ID web link icons from my Storm. I did this by selecting the Options/Advanced/Service Book/VPL VZW Tones [BrowserConfig] and then select the Menu button and delete. You can use this same process for any of the items that you do not want to show up. I have also removed the Instant Messaging icons as well as Flickr, Google Talk and AIM. I have even restarted my Storm several times to make sure they did not reappear! It works!!!
    Kudos to you!! Thanks! A bit more complicated on the OS6 but you can still do it once you figure the new navigation out!

*************************Turns out it did not work! Bold and 2 restarts and they are back!*************************
    Last edited by PINC; 11-12-10 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Turns out it did not work
    11-12-10 11:25 AM
    and they will keep coming back because they are being pushed to the phone via VZW/RIM
    11-12-10 12:09 PM
    only way to stop it would be to delete the service books and unselect browser push, but then nothing else wil come through either, email, app updates, web. they are just shortcuts and take up a very small amount of memory, just hide em.
    11-12-10 12:58 PM
    Gave up and just hid them, thought since there were 2 at least one would go away.
    11-12-10 02:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD